Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Them bloody trumpets

Albiontilligetold

Jun 15, 2010
Maybe a few weeks but i miss the chants, everyone says its a tradition in africa...how is blowing a plastic trumpet made in china with coca cola written on it a tradition?

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Over to Paul Kelso in the Telegraph...

'If England wins the right to host the 2018 World Cup we will expect supporters to put up with inane chanting and the unfailingly tedious England supporters band, so why should we expect South Africans to silence their horns?"

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Oh ffs it's only for a few weeks. Why do so many ppl get irritated. Just go with the flow.

We've been waiting for this few short weeks of televised international football for 4 years, the bloody trumpets are ruining the enjoyment of watching and offending my ears!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Over to Paul Kelso in the Telegraph...

'If England wins the right to host the 2018 World Cup we will expect supporters to put up with inane chanting and the unfailingly tedious England supporters band, so why should we expect South Africans to silence their horns?"

That's a bollox argument. For a start the so called inane chanting and England band do at least have a bit of variation in their repetoire of songs/tunes. Most importantly they would only be present at England games and won't be turning up to every game and stiffling the atmosphere that the visiting supporters were trying to make!

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
Being out here I confirm that everyones useing them. Africans and away fans, and i bet a fair few of you too if you were at the games. Get over it and enjoy the World Cup you miserable gits!

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Maybe a few weeks but i miss the chants, everyone says its a tradition in africa...how is blowing a plastic trumpet made in china with coca cola written on it a tradition?

The vuvuzela's musical ancestor is said to be the kudu horn ixilongo in isiXhosa, mhalamhala in Tshivenda - blown to summon African villagers to meetings, according to South African tourism chiefs.

Later versions were made of tin.
The trumpet became so popular at football matches in the late 1990s that a company, Masincedane Sport, was formed in 2001 to mass-produce it.

Made of plastic, they come in a variety of colours - black or white for fans of Orlando Pirates, yellow for Kaizer Chiefs, and so on.

There's uncertainty on the origin of the word 'vuvuzela'.

Some say it comes from the isiZulu for 'making noise'.

Others say it's from township slang related to the word 'shower', because it 'showers people with music'. Or, more prosaically, looks a little like a shower head.

The announcement, on 15 May 2004, that South Africa would host the 2010 Fifa World Cup gave the vuvuzela a huge boost, to say the least - some 20 000 were sold on the day by enterprising street vendors.

It's a noisy thing, so there's no surprise some don't like it. Journalist Jon Qwelane once quipped that he had taken to watching football matches at home - with the volume turned low - because of what he described as 'an instrument of hell'.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
what i want to know is, who the f*** are blowing them? every time they show a crowd pic i haven't seen anyone blowing them! its like they are doing it over the p.a system or something

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is anywhere in the UK (i.e. supermarkets, large chain stores that I may come across in Wolverhampton) selling vuvuzelas? I HAVE to get some for my world cup party on Friday...

Albiontilligetold

Jun 15, 2010
The vuvuzela's musical ancestor is said to be the kudu horn ixilongo in isiXhosa, mhalamhala in Tshivenda - blown to summon African villagers to meetings, according to South African tourism chiefs.

Later versions were made of tin.
The trumpet became so popular at football matches in the late 1990s that a company, Masincedane Sport, was formed in 2001 to mass-produce it.

Made of plastic, they come in a variety of colours - black or white for fans of Orlando Pirates, yellow for Kaizer Chiefs, and so on.

There's uncertainty on the origin of the word 'vuvuzela'.

Some say it comes from the isiZulu for 'making noise'.

Others say it's from township slang related to the word 'shower', because it 'showers people with music'. Or, more prosaically, looks a little like a shower head.

The announcement, on 15 May 2004, that South Africa would host the 2010 Fifa World Cup gave the vuvuzela a huge boost, to say the least - some 20 000 were sold on the day by enterprising street vendors.

It's a noisy thing, so there's no surprise some don't like it. Journalist Jon Qwelane once quipped that he had taken to watching football matches at home - with the volume turned low - because of what he described as 'an instrument of hell'.

So now all the Africa's are on a long walk to all the grounds for no reason expecting a big meeting?...the fact is that they would be ok if people just blew the bloody thing when someone scored.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I suppose we are still on the first round of matches, hopefully the novelty of blowing a tuneless trumpet for 90 mins will wear off by the time each nation comes to play their 2nd - 3rd game.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I suppose we are still on the first round of matches, hopefully the novelty of blowing a tuneless trumpet for 90 mins will wear off by the time each nation comes to play their 2nd - 3rd game.

I don't think so, this is what South African fans do at every match they go to, as was extensively covered before the world cup.

I love the vuvezela. There were loads at soccer aid the other week, did they come through on the TV sound?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here