Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thee unofficial match day thread ****England v Wales****

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Lucky Hodgson. He's got away with starting two players everyone knew were way off form.

Now Sturridge and Vardy upfront and he has to find a formation where Rooney and Wilshere are on the pitch together.

4-4-2

Hart

Walker
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Alli
Rooney
Wilshere
Dier

Vardy
Sturridge

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lucky Hodgson. He's got away with starting two players everyone knew were way off form.

Now Sturridge and Vardy upfront and he has to find a formation where Rooney and Wilshere are on the pitch together.

Dier has to start because of his defensive shield ability but he played 4 balls forward today that were woeful. Rooney's been good in the central mid position. Could Wilshere play instead of Lallana in the right channel? All the width down the right really came from Walker, not Lallana.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
....and Paul Weller to close the show..... perfick.jpg

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Dier has to start because of his defensive shield ability but he played 4 balls forward today that were woeful. Rooney's been good in the central mid position. Could Wilshere play instead of Lallana in the right channel? All the width down the right really came from Walker, not Lallana.

Lallana did play well today though until he tired.

If we need width play Rashford wide.

I think Alli's been given enough chances and has been average.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
4-4-2

Hart

Walker
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Alli
Rooney
Wilshere
Dier

Vardy
Sturridge

Spot on - diamond formation with the full-backs pushing on and Dier covering. Indeed, Dier's brief should be to give it short to Rooney or Wilshere and not to try any of his through-balls, all of which have been poor thus far.

In an ideal world we'll go a couple of goals up and maybe the full-backs will get a rest. Kyle Walker has been our best player over the two matches but can he and Danny Rose keep up the energy levels for the whole tournament?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bit odd playing Ukraine v Northern Ireland in a stadium that holds just under 60K, and England v Wales in a stadium that holds just over 40K :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Phew I keep my 100% record of starting match day threads
Keep your powder dry for the knockouts.

Sturridge doesn't even know if we are through yet or not :facepalm:

Do they not explain the qualifying rules to the players ? Or are they just listening to their headphones all day

How could he know? If Slovakia beat us, they get 6 points, wales beat russia, they get 6 points, pushing us down into third with 4 points. We then need to hope we're among the better third placed teams. So, we don't know whether we're through or not.
So you know we're not through then. Unlike Sturridge, he doesn't know.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Everyone is forgetting that STURRADGE is made from WEETABIX. We will need him in the knockout stages so Roy is actually a GENUOUS in not starting him against RUBBISH like WHALES. Enrist is WRITE again! Well done WOY.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Lallana did enough again for me to start. My only changes would be to start Vardy and Sturridge for Kane and Sterling.

Or bring Wilshire in and move Rooney to replace Sterling.
But with Rooney being outstanding the 2 games so far I would be hesitant to move him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
:facepalm:

I'll just shut up in the run up to these games I think. Jesus.

Hart stood so far over to the left he gave Gareth Bale 70% of the goal to aim at. Bale's effort was still a yard inside the right-hand post but Hart was so at sea he was still at full-stretch.

Since he's been doing the dandruff commercials he's gone right off!

Today's effort has joined the pantheon of tournament keeper cock-ups - up there with Bonetti vs Germany '70, Seaman vs Brazil '02, Rob Green vs. USA '10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here