Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Under 30's generation.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So you did notice the global pandemic and its necessity for people to work from home, right? But whether I’m in an office at home or in London my kids still get themselves home and can cook for themselves :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you getting triggered over?

That Gen X got to be recognised as being the latch key kids due to a massive shift in the workplace and parents?

What would be ****ing hilarious is if you're Gen X and you taught your kids to be just like that generation was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the meantime, women were discriminated against because there was no pension provision for many of them. Professional women did ok, but the ordinary working class women are left impoverished. I know of one lady whose state pension was £11 a week.
I've known male OAPs on a darned sight less than £11 a week. Of course, 'when' (which you omitted) is essential to the argument.

The other point is that the OAP is purely based on the contributions, pure and simple - but, for those whose contributions have only bought £11 a week''s worth of old age pension, other benefits are available - although they are of course means tested, so anybody with an £11 a week pension will get a top up - oncome support, pension support previously, universal credit now. Either that, or they'll have other means of their own.
I don't think we have OAPs expected to live on £11 a week!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The bank doesn’t think I earn enough to pay for a mortgage for myself. However, I seem to be earning enough to pay someone else’s mortgage :(

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pleased to hear it, but I'm guessing they all had a bit more education :thumbsup:

But these are people coming up to retirement who presumably started their careers and their pensions years ago. I'm not sure I would advise kids starting today to go into the public sector hoping for of a good pension when they retire :shrug:

Similar pension schemes run for new entrants, the ‘sort out’ was resolved with unions at career average pension levels rather than final salary levels, with the NHS minimum retirement age moving from 50 to 55, teachers from 55 to 57.

Teachers - someone on £28k to £38k, puts in 8.6% as their contribution (really 6.88% after tax relief). The state tops that up 23.68!

Nurses - mean pay is £34k. 9.6% is the before tax relief employee’s contribution in that band. The state top that up with 21.4%!

With mean life expectancy now 82 and growing, hopefully many others are enjoying a post work life that you made for yourself :)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Pleased to hear it, but I'm guessing they all had a bit more education :thumbsup:

But these are people coming up to retirement who presumably started their careers and their pensions years ago. I'm not sure I would advise kids starting today to go into the public sector hoping for of a good pension when they retire :shrug:

I think it’s a significant factor.

If the government tried to get rid of public sector DB schemes the howls from the Unions would make the poll tax riots seem like a picnic. Look at the efforts to reduce the deficit in the University SuperAnnuation Scheme. Oh and I’m sure MPs would somehow manage to keep theirs.

They are the best freebie available to anyone who works in this country. An absolutely ridiculous perk in modern society which we all pay for. BT for example is a giant pension scheme with a company attached to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Similar pension schemes run for new entrants, the ‘sort out’ was resolved with unions at career average pension levels rather than final salary levels, with the NHS minimum retirement age moving from 50 to 55, teachers from 55 to 57.

Teachers - someone on £28k to £38k, puts in 8.6% as their contribution (really 6.88% after tax relief). The state tops that up 23.68!

Nurses - mean pay is £34k. 9.6% is the before tax relief employee’s contribution in that band. The state top that up with 21.4%!

With mean life expectancy now 82 and growing, hopefully many others are enjoying a post work life that you made for yourself :)

Local Authority pension schemes are also extremely generous. My wife has benefitted from one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Local Authority pension schemes are also extremely generous. My wife has benefitted from one.

I’m not against it, we’ll benefit too from Mrs.W.

The private sector should’ve been compelled to make mandatory, substantial pension contributions (employers and employees) decades back. Gradually phased in, to make it doable.

Missed by every government.

The brilliant Ros Altmann, THE expert, was beating that drum 20 years ago.

The current Stakeholders Pension is an extremely poor copy - very low contributions and ‘jam today’ employees can opt out and do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've known male OAPs on a darned sight less than £11 a week. Of course, 'when' (which you omitted) is essential to the argument.

The other point is that the OAP is purely based on the contributions, pure and simple - but, for those whose contributions have only bought £11 a week''s worth of old age pension, other benefits are available - although they are of course means tested, so anybody with an £11 a week pension will get a top up - oncome support, pension support previously, universal credit now. Either that, or they'll have other means of their own.
I don't think we have OAPs expected to live on £11 a week!

True but SAGA will tell you pensioners rarely claim all the benefits they’re entitled to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What are you getting triggered over?

That Gen X got to be recognised as being the latch key kids due to a massive shift in the workplace and parents?

What would be ****ing hilarious is if you're Gen X and you taught your kids to be just like that generation was.

Triggered :lolol:

Genuinely incredible how all you free thinking Alt Right types use exactly the same words as each other. Almost like Uncle Bannon sits you on his knee and teaches you by rote.

Anyway, have another read of what you wrote and what I replied and we should be able to go from there. It helps to understand the words you wrote that are being replied to.

If you really want to stretch your brain you could also have a think about what was worse for a young person's mental health, being a "latch key kid" or a global pandemic, and then relate that back to the proposition in the OP?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
The problem is, for how long do they get to benefit from these low rent houses ? There will continually be new 20 somethings looking to benefit from the same arrangement. Do we just keep building houses forever ? The first renters will not be on the property ladder and realistically such an idea is not going to dampen house price inflation. Their entry into the property market is just postponed until later. Unfortunately it would just create another housing price distortion in a market already full of the wrong incentives. The only way to buy a house for youngsters is hard work and sacrifice. It’s always been the same.

Weird, it appeared to work well until someone saw it as an opportunity to sell more of the family silver - and now we are, where we are, a nation of renters (at extortionate prices)!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Here's a thought, don't come on here and post your utter drivel, and then I wont have a reason to come on here and point out what utter drivel it is?

You think you're entitled to do so and entitled to your bigoted, 1960's mindset. Well if that's the case, I am entitled to come on here and point out to you it contributes nothing other than argument and division, and we'd all be better off without you.

Not sure how that crosses any lines, dear. And I will pass up the offer of a coffee and a chat - I prefer to do that sort of thing with people who have demonstrated they're capable of things such as lateral & critical thinking.

That wasn’t my point whether what I originally said is drivel or not, it was your personal attack after that.

Clearly you are a classic keyboard coward as you not prepared to back up what you’ve said.

Never mind, you are what you are old boy, in other news great result at Watford today 👍

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
That wasn’t my point whether what I originally said is drivel or not, it was your personal attack after that.

Clearly you are a classic keyboard coward as you not prepared to back up what you’ve said.

Never mind, you are what you are old boy, in other news great result at Watford today ��

Accusations of cowardice? Being flung around by the 'man' who comes on here every 2 weeks to throw out a couple of sentences whose sole purpose is to start an argument he doesn't then participate in? As noted above, based on whatever culture-war nonsense he's spent the morning ******* over the daily mail for?

But its all ok right, because you pay your taxes?

I refer you to my earlier point that you bring nothing to this forum, sussex or the country. You further prove my point with every post.

Last edited:

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Accusations of cowardice? Being flung around by the 'man' who comes on here every 2 weeks to throw out a couple of sentences whose soul purpose is to start an argument he doesn't then participate in? As noted above, based on whatever culture-war nonsense he's spent the morning ******* over the daily mail for?

I refer you to my earlier point that you bring nothing to this forum, sussex or the country. You further prove my point with every post.

Not every under 30 gets a free meal ticket by living off the Love Island tv circuit. Some of us work to improve our position.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Accusations of cowardice? Being flung around by the 'man' who comes on here every 2 weeks to throw out a couple of sentences whose sole purpose is to start an argument he doesn't then participate in? As noted above, based on whatever culture-war nonsense he's spent the morning ******* over the daily mail for?

Husty, all you can do is sit behind your keyboard throwing out insults without backing them up, text book coward old love, your original statement proves how out of touch you really are 😂

Enjoy the Masked Singer and Casualty 👍

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not every under 30 gets a free meal ticket by living off the Love Island tv circuit. Some of us work to improve our position.

Quite... the man whose actual daughter had to embarrass herself on national television to get anywhere in life has drawn the conclusion her generation has it easy. Its a staggering thought process.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Husty, all you can do is sit behind your keyboard throwing out insults without backing them up, text book coward old love, your original statement proves how out of touch you really are 😂

Enjoy the Masked Singer and Casualty 👍

If you think I'd be afraid of repeating anything I've said here to your face, you are quite mistaken old gammon old friend. I just have better things to be doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here