Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ultimate REFERENDUM thread

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A study reveals that the more pro-EU people go on about how wonderful the EU is, the more likely the splitters are to turn out in force against. http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/1/40.short

"Experimental findings show that individuals who are skeptical toward the EU and are subsequently exposed to positive news framing about the EU Constitution are mobilized to turn out and vote against it. The results of the content analysis show that during the Dutch referendum campaign, news media framed the EU Constitution in positive terms. Building these findings into a measure of news exposure in our panel survey, the authors find that higher exposure to referendum news had a mobilizing effect on those opposing the proposal."

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Haha - perhaps my quote would make a good signature flair? My understanding is that the agreement would be written into treaties. But I will have to read the parliament doc as I haven't had the time yet.

Tempting but I will stick to my original choice as it seems quite apt for a European topic. Yes it is meant to be written into treaties at some point in the future which is part of the problem. Treaty change opens an unpredictable can of worms, I think I'm right in saying even the possibility of a referendum for some countries which as we know terrifies the EU as those pesky electorates often give the 'wrong' answer. So don't expect it to happen any time soon, our 'deal' will be in limbo open to challenge and possible revision till that point ... oh the uncertainty.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A study reveals that the more pro-EU people go on about how wonderful the EU is, the more likely the splitters are to turn out in force against. http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/1/40.short

"Experimental findings show that individuals who are skeptical toward the EU and are subsequently exposed to positive news framing about the EU Constitution are mobilized to turn out and vote against it. The results of the content analysis show that during the Dutch referendum campaign, news media framed the EU Constitution in positive terms. Building these findings into a measure of news exposure in our panel survey, the authors find that higher exposure to referendum news had a mobilizing effect on those opposing the proposal."

How interesting I am having the same experience reading some of the 'Eurin' camp contributions on these threads. You would think a major economic, political and military power becoming a truly independent nation once more was some sort of crazy, dangerous concept following their lines of argument :mad:

Jan 30, 2008
I haven't got the figures to hand but something of the order of 70% of Jews voted Tory in the last election even with a Jewish Labour leader and since then opinion polls have that figure consistently 10 or 15 points higher. There's clearly a problem.

it's all about the money my boy
regards
DR

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm firmly OUT at the moment. Not because I am anti immigrant or a raving Tory but because I fundamentally disagree with a foreign, non elected, provenly fraudulent German dominated body in Belgium having any say whatsoever in what goes on in this country.

Our democracy is the oldest continuous one in the world. British law forms the basis of laws from the United States to India yet is subject to revision by foreign judges who do not have to take into account the national mood of the U.K.

Our agriculture and industry from fishing to farming, from making tyres to till drawers is encumbered by bureaucrats stipulating CE markings and reams of compliance. Listen. I have worked for years in an industry that sells worldwide and into the EU. The EU is by far the most slothful of all regulators...we often launch products in the US before we can sell in Europe which, for a British company, is ridiculous.

Staying in means that we will be in the eye of the storm when the euro eventually tanks...as it must. And when the millions of refugees start demanding humane treatment by threatening violence.

No. Leave them to it I say. Get out while we can.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
How interesting I am having the same experience reading some of the 'Eurin' camp contributions on these threads. You would think a major economic, political and military power becoming a truly independent nation once more was some sort of crazy, dangerous concept following their lines of argument :mad:

Except we wouldn't be 'truly independent' and we would be less of a political, economic and military power.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I wish Barack Obama would fack off and stop poking his nose into our affairs...As if the yanks would have a similar set up to the EU unreal.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union (CDU) was at the receiving end of voter anger, suffering defeats in two out of three states in Sunday’s elections — including in traditional stronghold Baden-Wuerttemberg. AfD’s double-digit score in all three states indicates that the public outrage fuelling far-right movements such as France’s National Front and Austria’s Freedom Party has also gained a firm foothold in Germany.

The stinging result for the conservative CDU was accompanied by a surge in backing for the right-wing populist Alternative for Germany (AfD), which had sparked outrage by suggesting police may have to shoot at migrants to stop them entering the country.

The response to the drubbing at the polls?

While acknowledging that some had cast “protest votes”, the German leader refused to change her position. “I think that the approach is correct”

So much for democracy and the will of the people.

The President of Macedonia has laid into the German Chancellor for exposing all of Europe to jihadi terror and a migrant influx — which could potentially reach 20 million — due to her open invitation to so-called ‘refugees’. “The refugee flow won’t end, because everyone knows everything via Twitter and Facebook”, explained President Gjorge Ivanov. Whilst conceding that Angela Merkel “has shown courage” in a “humanitarian” respect, he added: “But no one has the courage to say what still lies ahead. Between Sudan and Egypt alone, 20 million migrants are waiting to come to Europe”.

Speaking to Bild, Mr. Ivanov also said the European Union (EU) had “completely lost sight” of security issues as migrant pour from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and other countries with large numbers of Islamist extremists. “If we had relied on Brussels rather than react ourselves, we would have been flooded with jihadists,” he said, explaining authorities in Macedonia have confiscated some 9,000 forged or stolen passports. Despite this, EU countries including Germany had declined to share information on jihadist militants or biometric identification technology, he said, adding:

“In the refugee crisis, we are now paying for the EU’s mistakes, we have already spent 25 million euros ($28 million) of our taxpayers’ money and had to declare a national crisis.” Macedonia is not a member of the EU, but Chancellor Merkel’s open door refugee policy and the failure of EU member Greece to do anything other that “wave through” migrants has forced them to act.

With thousands of unchecked, mostly economic migrants and potential Jihadists entering their country every day, they constructed a fence (pictured above) and began to close their borders on the 20th February. “And what did we get from Europe in return? Nothing! Not a cent! Instead, we, as a non-EU country, are now forced to protect Europe from an EU country, namely Greece”, exclaimed Mr. Ivanov.

More than 12,000 people have been stranded at Idomeni, on the Macedonian border with Greece, after this main artery on the so-called Balkans migrant route to Western Europe was effectively shut down. Despite pleading with Greece and Turkey (and bribing them billions) to stem the migrant flow, an ungrateful Angela Merkel went on to attack Macedonia and other Balkan nations for acting effectively to stop the flow. She said the border closures were “neither sustainable nor lasting” and lobbied to have the words “the Balkans route is closed” removed from a fawning EU statement with Turkey.

www.breitbart.com/london/2016/03/14...-to-come-president-of-macedonia-slams-merkel/

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union (CDU) was at the receiving end of voter anger, suffering defeats in two out of three states in Sunday’s elections — including in traditional stronghold Baden-Wuerttemberg. AfD’s double-digit score in all three states indicates that the public outrage fuelling far-right movements such as France’s National Front and Austria’s Freedom Party has also gained a firm foothold in Germany.

The stinging result for the conservative CDU was accompanied by a surge in backing for the right-wing populist Alternative for Germany (AfD), which had sparked outrage by suggesting police may have to shoot at migrants to stop them entering the country.

The response to the drubbing at the polls?

While acknowledging that some had cast “protest votes”, the German leader refused to change her position. “I think that the approach is correct”

So much for democracy and the will of the people.

The President of Macedonia has laid into the German Chancellor for exposing all of Europe to jihadi terror and a migrant influx — which could potentially reach 20 million — due to her open invitation to so-called ‘refugees’. “The refugee flow won’t end, because everyone knows everything via Twitter and Facebook”, explained President Gjorge Ivanov. Whilst conceding that Angela Merkel “has shown courage” in a “humanitarian” respect, he added: “But no one has the courage to say what still lies ahead. Between Sudan and Egypt alone, 20 million migrants are waiting to come to Europe”.

Speaking to Bild, Mr. Ivanov also said the European Union (EU) had “completely lost sight” of security issues as migrant pour from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and other countries with large numbers of Islamist extremists. “If we had relied on Brussels rather than react ourselves, we would have been flooded with jihadists,” he said, explaining authorities in Macedonia have confiscated some 9,000 forged or stolen passports. Despite this, EU countries including Germany had declined to share information on jihadist militants or biometric identification technology, he said, adding:

“In the refugee crisis, we are now paying for the EU’s mistakes, we have already spent 25 million euros ($28 million) of our taxpayers’ money and had to declare a national crisis.” Macedonia is not a member of the EU, but Chancellor Merkel’s open door refugee policy and the failure of EU member Greece to do anything other that “wave through” migrants has forced them to act.

With thousands of unchecked, mostly economic migrants and potential Jihadists entering their country every day, they constructed a fence (pictured above) and began to close their borders on the 20th February. “And what did we get from Europe in return? Nothing! Not a cent! Instead, we, as a non-EU country, are now forced to protect Europe from an EU country, namely Greece”, exclaimed Mr. Ivanov.

More than 12,000 people have been stranded at Idomeni, on the Macedonian border with Greece, after this main artery on the so-called Balkans migrant route to Western Europe was effectively shut down. Despite pleading with Greece and Turkey (and bribing them billions) to stem the migrant flow, an ungrateful Angela Merkel went on to attack Macedonia and other Balkan nations for acting effectively to stop the flow. She said the border closures were “neither sustainable nor lasting” and lobbied to have the words “the Balkans route is closed” removed from a fawning EU statement with Turkey.

www.breitbart.com/london/2016/03/14...-to-come-president-of-macedonia-slams-merkel/
Merkel really is losing the plot for every week goes by...Maybe she should send a load of planes over to the borders and bring the refugees into Germany.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Boeing has chosen Britain as home for its new European headquarters in a major boost to campaigners in favour of the UK leaving the EU.

The world’s largest aircraft maker shrugged off Brexit concerns to select London as the base for its entire European operation.

The Britain Stronger In Europe campaign has claimed that a vote to leave the EU would spark an exodus of firms. But Boeing said its new European hub would remain regardless of how the public vote in June.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...s-Britain-home-new-European-headquarters.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Boeing has chosen Britain as home for its new European headquarters in a major boost to campaigners in favour of the UK leaving the EU.

The world’s largest aircraft maker shrugged off Brexit concerns to select London as the base for its entire European operation.

The Britain Stronger In Europe campaign has claimed that a vote to leave the EU would spark an exodus of firms. But Boeing said its new European hub would remain regardless of how the public vote in June.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...s-Britain-home-new-European-headquarters.html

?? Boeing hasn't chosen the UK as its new HQ at all. They've simple chosen a London based bloke to run their European ops.

http://www.boeing.co.uk/news-media-...announces-european-leadership-structure.page?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

All right if you believe Daily Mail spin I suppose.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Hello Asian Turkey :bigwave:
Welcome to the European club

The EU and Turkey have reached a deal on the migrant crisis, which will see migrants returned to Turkey in exchange for aid and political concessions.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said it was a "historic" day.
"We today realised that Turkey and the EU have the same destiny, the same challenges and the same future."

European Council President Donald Tusk said there had been unanimous agreement between Turkey and the 28 EU members.

Visa restrictions: Turkish nationals should have access to the Schengen passport-free zone by June. This will not apply to non-Schengen countries like Britain.
Turkey EU membership: Both sides agreed to "re-energise" Turkey's bid to join the European bloc, with talks due by July.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35840272

what utter madness!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Hello Asian Turkey :bigwave:
Welcome to the European club

The EU and Turkey have reached a deal on the migrant crisis, which will see migrants returned to Turkey in exchange for aid and political concessions.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said it was a "historic" day.
"We today realised that Turkey and the EU have the same destiny, the same challenges and the same future."

European Council President Donald Tusk said there had been unanimous agreement between Turkey and the 28 EU members.

Visa restrictions: Turkish nationals should have access to the Schengen passport-free zone by June. This will not apply to non-Schengen countries like Britain.
Turkey EU membership: Both sides agreed to "re-energise" Turkey's bid to join the European bloc, with talks due by July.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35840272

what utter madness!

Around half a million from Turkey are already in the uk, the vast majority through Cypriot nationality but still 150000 from turkey direct. Germany has in excess of 1 million Turks. I'm looking forward to cheaper but higher quality kebabs and maybe more Meze platters on sale in marks n sparks.
In seriousness half of the UK's immigrants are from non EU anyway, the U.K. Still allows non EU immigrants on a large scale. Membership of the EU will neither stem or accelerate that. It's always been that way. We have huge huge immigrant populations all over this country due to its colonial past and there has never been any reduction in this, it's always accelerated. Hell, even if you are Irish, you can vote in this EU referendum. You can't if you're French or Italian. Yet you could live here for your whole life. The U.K. Has a terrible record of immigration and has already let in thousands over the last 60 years from potential terrorist areas hence why we have many of these 'communities' here in the UK today. This wasn't the EU's fault. They are all already here, why are we worried about the Turks getting access to schengen? Project fear by the out campaign.

D

Deleted member 22389

The UK is a pretty miserable country at the moment if I am honest with you. It's not the same as it was 20 years ago, so we need to remove the components that are adding to this misery, one of these is the EU. The worst case scenario for this country is we end up staying in the EU and also end up with a Labour & SNP government.

Last edited by a moderator:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Around half a million from Turkey are already in the uk, the vast majority through Cypriot nationality but still 150000 from turkey direct. Germany has in excess of 1 million Turks. I'm looking forward to cheaper but higher quality kebabs and maybe more Meze platters on sale in marks n sparks.
In seriousness half of the UK's immigrants are from non EU anyway, the U.K. Still allows non EU immigrants on a large scale. Membership of the EU will neither stem or accelerate that. It's always been that way. We have huge huge immigrant populations all over this country due to its colonial past and there has never been any reduction in this, it's always accelerated. Hell, even if you are Irish, you can vote in this EU referendum. You can't if you're French or Italian. Yet you could live here for your whole life. The U.K. Has a terrible record of immigration and has already let in thousands over the last 60 years from potential terrorist areas hence why we have many of these 'communities' here in the UK today. This wasn't the EU's fault. They are all already here, why are we worried about the Turks getting access to schengen? Project fear by the out campaign.

Crack on then.
You carry on with advancing Turkey into the EU club.What could possibly go wrong.

Its actually the best news possible for the OUT campaign.As my EU loving mate says "Turkey coming in will turn my vote"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The UK is a pretty miserable country at the moment if I am honest with you.

The U.K. seems really chaotic and unstable at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hahaha well done Mr T! It's again such nonsense and twisting by anyone that wants out. They don't even really know why they want out. Just general shite they hear about bananas and polish plumbers.

I know. it's almost on a par with the ill-informed tripe* [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] regularly serves up.

* I still chuckle at the random blog he posted on the cost of data regulation based on a survey in which almost 90% of subjects said they had no idea how much it had cost, or will cost :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here