Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The treatment of race horses

Veda

Mar 14, 2004
Jamaica
Fox Hunting is a good way to introduce horses to steeple chasing
Should be encouraged more so the horses learn to jump better and won't have to be shot for falling over little jumps.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
good call Veda !

I agree Greyhounds are usually just dumped after theyre 'used by date'

oh well . . .at least it keeps the price of pet food down :lolol:

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
I went to Fontwell a coupe of years ago and in 1 race a jockey got de-saddled. Anyway, going round in a figure of 8, the de-saddled horse collided head on with the horse in second place. I think 1 of them died instantly and they got the white sheet up and shot the other 1. Jockey was ok. Luckily, my horse was in front and I won a handsome £25.

Best sporting afternoon in ages.

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
redland said:
Gareth sorry mate but that ain't true, I worked at Plumpton Race course when I was at college, and the horses are treated like shite even to the extent that if they become injured during a race the course is instructed to put the horse down, its sick.
Unless things have changed since I worked in racing this statement is simply not true. I worked for a local trainer for six years after leaving school in 1980. I worked as a stable lad and also had a few rides in races so I know every aspect of racing and definately know what I'm talking about.
The thought of any horse being mistreated in the stable or on the track filled me with revulsion then and still does now. I looked after many horses during my time in the sport and know that they all have different characters, and it doesn't take long to build up a strong relationship with them that can last for years. Remember, we worked with these horses every day and you soon find yourself talking to them like you would your own best friend. All the other "lads" and "lasses I worked with felt the same. They ARE treated like royalty. Every day they are ridden out, cleaned out and given fresh bedding where necessary, groomed, given two good meals a day and fresh water always topped up. In summer they are washed down with cold water to keep them cool and in the winter they are given rugs to wear to keep them warm. Every horse was given a day off from training the day after a race, whether that horse won , came last or fell at the first fence. This is the NORMAL every day life of a racehorse.
If this sounds like cruellty to any one then you'll have to explain it to me.
As for the accusation that at Plumpton (or any other racecourse) they simply destroy a horse because it has been injured, then unless a new rule has been brought in which I don't know about, this is a complete lie.
Redland, I would like to know what position you held at Plumpton as to make such an accusation. When I worked in racing the ruling was this: that if a horse was severely injured in such a way that the horse could not be moved from the spot where the incident took place without causing more suffering to the horse or if the horse had injured itself to such an extent that there was no chance of recovery or the animal was suffering so much that any prolonged amount of time in treating the horse could cause more suffering, then that animal would be humanely destroyed. Any other injury, whatever it may be, would require the horse to be taken by horse ambulance back to the course stables where the on course vet would give a more detailed examination and would advise the trainer and owner on the appropriate action to take. This COULD include having the horse put down, but the final decision rests with the owner. RSPCA inspectors regularly attend race meetings to make sure certain codes of practice are adheared to. I'm sure by now something would have been said if the practice you describe was going on. Many horses suffer injuries which mean they can never race again but still recover well enough to lead a happy life as a hack. I've seen the proof myself. I would also like you to explain more by what you mean when you say the horses are treated like shit at the races.
I fully accept that there are some cruel trainers and owners out there who don't give a toss about their horses and they certainly need to be found out and punished, but 90% are decent, professional people who do their best to look after all horses in their care.

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
Thank you gullet a point well put across, and as i said before i think racehorses are some of the best treated in the industry

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Crazy Cornish Gal said:
Thank you gullet a point well put across, and as i said before i think racehorses are some of the best treated in the industry
I just feel that people don't realise how much hard work and love goes into looking after a racehorse. Stable lads and lasses are some of the hardest working and uderpaid people in the country in what is one of the most dangerous sports in the world. I know, I had the bruises to prove it! For people to say that all race horses are treated badly is an insult to thousands of dedicated people involved in the sport up and down the country.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
What else is ther to do with a horse.....

and btw veggie people - if meat is bad why are cows covered in the stuff! :lolol: :lolol:

Bono

Jul 18, 2003
Buckinghamshire
I've worked in yards and had the opportunity to work at the Royal Mews at Buck house. Like other posts - this thread is poorly researched. Choose another topic. Thanks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I would like topoint out that I DID NOT START THIS THREAD

I made a comment on another thread about the Cheltenham Festival, I guess the mods saw fit to make this a stand alone thread so as not to offend the posters who support horse racing.

Don't give me shit about "Like other posts - this thread is poorly researched." I was expressing my opinion and feelings about a subject I believe in.

I am also against fox hunting with a passion because it is cruel to the fox. If the hunters want to ride around the country on a drag hunt that's fine, at least the horses aren't being trained up to the point of breaking for that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well said Gullet.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for these equine hero's and I am sure 99% of the owners.trainers, stable staff and punters do as we..

Easch horse has its own charachter and is like a member of the family not to mention their own fight and detemination to win a race ( without any encouragment for the jockey btw ).

I still remember the Gold Cup race at Cheltenham in 1988 when Desert Orchid ran, the ground was totally against him but with 70000 at the course to see this hero they let him take his chance. The moment when he came round the final bend in view of the crowd when the noise was heard in Manchester and Desert Orchid through his own will and determination to win overhauled a 4 length lead from Yahoo when looking beaten 2 furlong out still lives with me now.

Unforgetable moments from unforgetable horses.

The pictures of Desert Orchid are on my living room walls now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here