Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The treatment of race horses

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The bad news is that hundreds of defenceless animals will be beaten to make them run faster for the glory of the horse racing (sic) fraternity.

Animals that know if they do not perform they will be mistreated and driven to disparing depravity to get them to run faster next time, and if that fails, 90% get killed and put on the next boat to France for turning into sausages and pet food.

Civilised society, I f***ing doubt it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
These racehorses are treated like royalty by the owners, trainers, stable staff and punters. They are hero's. They have a life of luxury compared to 99% of other horses. They are certainly not mistreated.

Why is it when a jockey falls off a horse the horse still completes the course and jumps all the fences without being forced to by the jockey ?. Is there any possible chance that the horses may enjoy the racing ?.

As for sausage meat, thats a reflection on the French isn't it ?.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
They do it because they know nothing else, if they don't perform they don't eat, they get treated like shit if they are not performing.

As for them running on when a jockey jumps off, that's the same, they believe that unless they perform they will be mistreated.

It's a commercial business, and the owners will treat them like royaty so long as they are giving them pleasure (how foul is that), then, when they are serving no further use, making no money, they have them killed.

Pah, I just don't get it, we're supposed to be a nation of animal lovers, I think realy we are a nation of animal users and abusers.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Superphil - I respect your opinion but do not agree. We all hope there are no fatalities.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
And I have never run out in front of a horse in a race to try and stop it.

We all have opinions, and it's best we keep it that way.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we have a few horseless carriages for transportation . . . so theyre largely redundant these days apart from looking nice in fields (if you like that kind of thing) and toys for snotty little girls I dont really see the point of them . . . . racing them may be entertainment for some but is largely a forced situation, yes Horses like to run, as do most quadropeds . . . .but I'm sure they dont get pumped full of steroids left to their own devices :eek:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There is such a thing as the RSPCA and vets are on hand at all courses.

There may be an odd incidence of mistreatment by a trainer or owner but that is as common as a bad parent beating a child.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Superphil, you are entitled to your opinion but I think it's bollocks.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
to the point Pavillionaire

Yorkie . . .there may well be, but theres also lots of wadges of cash, and special blind eye patches made out of £50 notes :lolol:

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
I don't even believe this thread what a load of utter shite, have you actually ever been to a race yard?? Iv'e worked around horses for years including race horses aswell as riding schools, show yards etc, i've never seen horses mistreated and racehorses are probably the best treated of all.
And before you say anything, i'm not a snotty little girl :glare:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm sure your right CCG . . . .but what about the failures . . . . .and why do they shoot them if they fall over and scratch a hoof???

superwife

Aug 13, 2003
With Superphil
This is where it can get interesting in our house, I am actually a member of Goodwood and I love to go racing. This really is a case of yes we can have our own opinions and still live together in relative harmony, thankfully we don't mind the mistreatment of footballers. :wave:

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
zefarelly said:
I'm sure your right CCG . . . .but what about the failures . . . . .and why do they shoot them if they fall over and scratch a hoof???
They only get shot if they do something that there is nothing the vet can do, horses legs are very difficult to operate on and usually nothing can be done, shooting may seem horrible but it is the most humane thing to do

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Gareth Glover said:
These racehorses are treated like royalty by the owners, trainers, stable staff and punters. They are hero's. They have a life of luxury compared to 99% of other horses. They are certainly not mistreated.

Why is it when a jockey falls off a horse the horse still completes the course and jumps all the fences without being forced to by the jockey ?. Is there any possible chance that the horses may enjoy the racing ?.

As for sausage meat, thats a reflection on the French isn't it ?.

Gareth sorry mate but that ain't true, I worked at Plumpton Race course when I was at college, and the horses are treated like shite even to the extent that if they become injured during a race the course is instructed to put the horse down, its sick.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
redland said:
Gareth sorry mate but that ain't true, I worked at Plumpton Race course when I was at college, and the horses are treated like shite even to the extent that if they become injured during a race the course is instructed to put the horse down, its sick.

Reminds me of Warren Aspinall...

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Pavilionaire said:
Reminds me of Warren Aspinall...

who ?

and he better not be a **** either

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I appreciate the leg issue, but it does seem mighty easy for Mr Gung-ho to get his rifle out when one falls over, not that I have a problem with it. just seems a bit harsh to push animals to within an inch of their life then if they make a mistake shoot the dumb things . . . .it could almost be likened to fox hunting but with a slightly more humane ending.

that should stir things up a bit :lolol:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Greyhounds are treated even worse. Most of them end up on the scrap heap too. There is less money involved so even fewer schemes around to rehome failed dogs.

Farming practices even worse animal care and on a much larger scale. Do you campaign against this as well?

As with any industry there are people involved that are good and some bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here