Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Swan at Falmer

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
Had a pleasent afternoon yesterday sampling the beer in the Swan. Listening to some regulars there's still a lot of resentment from the locals about the new stadium. The general opinion was anywhere but falmer would have been ok.

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Aha, a visit to The Swan.

From a classic thread now to be found on NSC Gold:

Read once more and enjoy:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?34022-me-and-my-mum-nimby-village-visit.

Kev the Ape

Registered User ; Posted 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

funniest thing was when i went in the pub was this bloke was talking on his phone so loudly, he stopped half way through when we ordered the drinks and he said on the phone, two Brighton fans have just walked in and he hanged up quickly and stared at us all the way through our drink.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
They'll hate it once we start playing then.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I went to The Swan for the first time last year. I have to say, it was very very disappointing. Full of locals, atmosphere was not all that, and part of the pub is just very dated (not in an olde worlde quaint way either, like old 70's fixtures and fittings) with the most uncomfotable chairs I have ever sat on.

I'm certainly not in a rush to hurry back and think i'll enojoy a pre-match beer in the stadium itself, far more comfortable and sociable.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I went to The Swan for the first time last year. I have to say, it was very very disappointing. Full of locals, atmosphere was not all that, and part of the pub is just very dated (not in an olde worlde quaint way either, like old 70's fixtures and fittings) with the most uncomfotable chairs I have ever sat on.

That's what I like about the Swan - it's genuinely old-fashioned. I prefer pubs like that to ones that are crammed full of fake "olde-world" artefacts. And the beer at the Swan is spot-on.

Pity they've stopped doing the Thai food though - that was spot on.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We parked outside and had a drink when we had our presentation and found the lady behind the bar very nice and the pub pleasant enough

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
We went for a drink after our presentation and I had a long chat with the lad who got left the pub with his mum. Really nice guy, told me all about the previous owner who was apparently coming round to the idea of opening up to fans on matchdays. He told me that the banks were falling over themselves to get involved and help get the place ready for hundreds of people. About 2 weeks later I was back there for a mates surprise 30th and the poor lad could not cope with 15 or so early thirties type drinking, asked us several times to keep the noise down. The locals looked at us in disgust! The coke for my vodka came from a can, they will not know what hit them if they don't do some serious upgrading. There is no way on earth that place is going to cope with a thousand fans queuing for a drink I'm afraid

D

Deleted User X18H

There are going to be a mulitude of bars in the stadium. Leave The Swan alone. If you want a drink in a pub go to the Hikers. If you dare.

D

Deleted User X18H

They'll hate it once we start playing then.

Yeah they will I expect for many the Village has been their home for many years. So why gloat. The club won permission for the Stadium - Fantastic - But people who don't even live in or contribute to the area gloating and goading the locals and rubbing their noses in it, just isn't on.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Yeah they will I expect for many the Village has been their home for many years. So why gloat. The club won permission for the Stadium - Fantastic - But people who don't even live in or contribute to the area gloating and goading the locals and rubbing their noses in it, just isn't on.

Not the norm for me to agree with the Timster........but THIS!

D

Deleted User X18H

The Hikers is Albion through and through there is no need to dare, there will be plenty of us stripes in there.

Oh I know. My old man used to be a regular.I went on a few away trips with the Hikers gang when I was a lad. I might not dare now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to The Swan a few months back for a midweek pub lunch. Have to say I thought the place was fine, there seemed to be a few nods to Germany with the beer and klimbim behind the bar-always a good thing. Food was okay, typical pub fair of scampi and chips, ham, egg and chips etc. Place was busy.

I'm sure they'll get the hang of dealing with a large number of pre and post match drinkers...and it will be an excellent place to go.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's what I like about the Swan - it's genuinely old-fashioned. I prefer pubs like that to ones that are crammed full of fake "olde-world" artefacts. And the beer at the Swan is spot-on.

Pity they've stopped doing the Thai food though - that was spot on.
I agree, going to the Swan is like stepping back in time. I especially love that old-fashioned, manual till where you have to add the round up in your head and then push down the keys to ring in a single figure. Was a shame that the Thai has stopped, but we've been up there for Sunday lunch a few times and it was really good - and still excellent value. Plus they take credit and debit cards now which they never did before.

Still one of my favourite pubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here