Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun's apology

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The Sun using Rooney as an excuse? Nasty.

Still, blame the agents who advised Rooney to deal with The Sun. Apparently Kenny Daglish - manager of Liverpool on the day of the Hillsborough tragedy, of course - is a director at the agents (Proactive).

The Sun Says...
Don't blame Rooney

IT is 15 years since The Sun committed the most terrible mistake in its history.

By making grave and untrue allegations about the behaviour of Liverpool fans during the Hillsborough disaster, we enraged the city.

But more importantly, we tarnished the memory of 96 soccer fans who had tragically lost their lives.

And our carelessness and thoughtlessness following that blackest of days made the grief of their families and friends even harder to bear.

We long ago apologised publicly to the victims’ families, friends and to the city of Liverpool for our awful error.

We gladly say sorry again today: fully, openly, honestly and without reservation.

If there was any way we could take back our erroneous words of 15 years ago, and by so doing ease the deep anguish we caused to so many people in mourning, we would do it.

But there isn’t. We can only hope that time will be the great healer.

Sadly, for some people in the city of Liverpool, forgetting — never mind forgiving — is impossible.

If they want to hate The Sun, then that is their right. We are hardly in a position to blame them.

What we find impossible to take, though, is the way some of Liverpool is turning its anger on one of the greatest footballing talents the city has ever seen.

Wayne Rooney is one of Liverpool’s finest sons.

At 18, he is the nation’s hero of Euro 2004 and has the potential to outscore England legends like Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Charlton and Alan Shearer.

On Merseyside, his name should be the toast of every pub, street and school.

Instead, he is being vilified by some Liverpool and Everton fans.

We can understand the grief of those who lost loved ones at Hillsborough.

We do not condemn the outspoken words of men like John Glover, whose son died in the tragedy, for his loss entitles him to hold any opinion he wishes.

But the words of other fans leave us in despair.

Wayne Rooney was just three years old at the time of Hillsborough. He and his fiancee Coleen are devastated by this unfair backlash. He should not be punished in 2004 for a mistake The Sun made in 1989. Don’t visit our past sins on him.

One view on a Liverpool website is that by telling his life story in The Sun, Wayne has “signed his soul away to the devil.”

Another is that he has “accepted 30 pieces of silver.”

For goodness sake, give the lad a chance.

It’s not as if Wayne’s the first footballer from Merseyside to talk to The Sun.

We have enjoyed a good working relationship with many players and managers over the years.

And nearly all Liverpool-born celebrities regularly talk to Britain’s favourite daily newspaper.

What The Sun finds most depressing about what is going on in Liverpool is the way trouble is stirred up by the local papers, the Post and the Echo.

Who owns the Post and Echo?

None other than Trinity Mirror.

The same company that owns The Sun’s rival, the Daily Mirror.

The misery being inflicted on Wayne Rooney is a crude effort by them to make commercial gain.

We hope that the people of modern Liverpool, a city of spirit and sophistication, are not taken in.

A brilliant young athlete, a credit to his club, his city and his country, is being pilloried by the very people who should be hailing him a hero.

And The Sun of 2004 no more deserves to be hated on Merseyside than Wayne Rooney does.

For a start, most of today’s staff weren’t on The Sun in 1989 and today’s Editor was a 20-year-old student.

Many of the callers to BBC Radio Merseyside have acknowledged that fact.

Fifteen years is a long time.

It is 11 years longer than the First World War, nine years longer than the Second World War.

We cannot believe these protests properly represent the opinions of the majority of men and women in Liverpool.

No one will ever forget the terrible Hillsborough tragedy, nor those who died and their loved ones.

But trashing a young man of whom everyone should be proud is not the way to honour their memory.

It is time to move on.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
obviously wanting to increase their market share on Merseyside. Why does Rooney have to "write" for any newspaper? Even before his new contract at Everton (apparentky £38k a week and that's if he doesn't move), he is earning £10k a week from playing football. Who advises these footballers? Look what's happened to Beckham.

I despair:shootself

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Rooney's agents proactive probably want to capitalize on the moment and make as much money as they can out of the lad. New contract, deal with The Sun yes please we'll take 15% of that.
Agents :censored:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I think the Sun has a point to be fair. Time to grow up I think.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That "The Sun Says" today is absolutely toe-curling.
I must admit, I was surprised that Rooney decided to tell "his story" exclusively to The Sun, what with the history there. This kind of backlash was entirely predictable, and he's done himself no favours. Some wounds run too deep and will never heal.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
All the sun (and mirror) are interested in is selling newspapers no matter who they hurt or put at risk, the editors don't give a toss about the consequences of their stories.

I personally don't believe there is any sincerity in their apology, all they want Rooney for is to get sales back up in Liverpool.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I think it shows how hypocritical that rag really is.

The Sun has casually trashed hundreds of peoples reputations over the years, but its only when it looks like its sales figures are going to be affected that it prints an apology.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For the record The Sun has never apologised before. Kelvin McKenzie stated before at the public enquiry that he printed the allegations on the basis of comments made by the head of South Yorkshire Police and a Tory MP. He admits he did not check the facts, but never printed a retraction.

There are many good reasons not to buy The Sun, but Hillsboro showed the paper in it's true obscene colours.

If it had been 96 Albion fans who died that day I am sure we would feel as strongly as they do on Merseyside. I was teaching in Liverpool at the time and the loathing towards The Sun came from both Blue and Red families. Some newsagents still refuse to sell the rag, and Murdoch has lost many millions as a result.

If Rooney is truly apologetic perhaps he should donate his fee for 'writing' to a worthy cause.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
When it comes down to dead friends and relatives being insulted, I would imagine people in Liverpool would tend to take rather a jaundiced view of such cretinously-tasteless marketing gimmicks like this. Dead relatives are now actually ok because of a footballer. Nice.

They might just as well have had a photo of Wayne Rooney at a victim's graveside giving a thumbs up with one hand and holding a copy of the Sun in the other.

In my humble world view, those responsible for the Sun and its repulsive impact on this country are even lower forms than Archer and Belloti.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Over the last few days, the papers should be renamed -

The Sun should be called The Rooney. Yesterday - Front Page "I nearly quit football" Page 2 "Rooney Farts!" Page 3 "Models that Rooney may like" Page 4 "Something's happening in IRAQ" Page 5 "More Important Rooney News"

The News of the World should become the News of the Rooney. The first FIVE pages on Sunday were about his love for some girl, whose name escapes me!:nono:

Dandyman

In London village.
The Sun is a vile rag that has made a career out of printing lies and encouraging ignorance and bigotry. For those too young to remember it's other 80's triumphs included making up an interview with the widow of a Falklands VC winner. :nono:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The complaints aimed at the sun in this thread would be more credible if there wasn't the undercurrent of political axe grinding. So allow me to stick the boot in.

The sun is a dumbed down peice of trash, yep it makes up stories but then again most tabloids do that so whats the beef? Didn't Piers Morgan get the boot for such activity. Me thinks your being political.

Murdock should be refered to the Monopolies commision for cross media ownership.

The people of liverpool, or those complaining need to grow up.

Safeway makes a reasonable point.......
How would we feel if Bill Archer started writing for The Argus (some would suggest he already does, under the alias of Andy Naylor)?

There are 2 problems with this arguement.

1 Rooney was not cheif of Police at hillsborogh.

2 15 years down the line if we have Falmer would there be as much hostility to Archer writing for the Fart gas?

I would be content to get Falmer and have archer and Bellotie banned for life from Falmer, that would in my mind be as the yanks say "closure", I would move on. Others should as well. Slagging of the Sun isn't going to alter the history of the 1980's. Move on FFS.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
A SUGARED DISH

High in the sky the angler sits
in smug anticipation
No boundaries now hold back his dream
of global domination
Across the world his lines are cast
and now he lies in wait:
he’s fishing for the human mind
and football is the bait.

The Premiership's a sugared dish
so swiftly, cleverly bought
It’s good bait, but he needs some more:
he buys up every sport
The fish bite: he removes their guts
and leaves one single eye
fixed on the Sun and CNN:
One folk, one state, one Sky.

The rich elite rake in the cash -
it only flows one way
The small clubs teeter on the brink:
some pinstriped vulture’s prey.
Developers eye up the grounds
whole lives are built upon
while Southerners in Man U shirts
switch televisions on.

The angler plays monopoly -
the government connives.
The shoals of fish swarm round the dish
which brightens up their lives.
And Murdoch nears his killer goal:
a global superstate
where minds are caught and minds are set
and football is the bait.

The Sun is a rag of the lowest order. it is unfortunate that they choose to insult relatives etc at the time. However, I do find it incredible that after all this time you still get chastised for even questioning why thousands of fans without tickets turned up. A great tragedy - yes. Badly handled by the police - yes. Would it have happened if thousand of ticketless fans hadn't turned up and tried to force their way in? No.

The peple that died were the innocent ones, the peoeple forcing their way in should forever carry heavy hearts. But of course, to accuse anyone from that 'fine' region of having any responsibility for that event is, naturally, unacceptable.

Dandyman

In London village.
looney said:
Murdock should be refered to the Monopolies commision for cross media ownership.

For once I am in agreement with you, Looney. It's yet another of the endless compromises made by New Labour that they have failed to address the whole issue of diversity of ownership and access to distribution in the media.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Dandyman said:
It's yet another of the endless compromises made by New Labour that they have failed to address the whole issue of diversity of ownership and access to distribution in the media.

and they are unlikely to do so when it is widely acknowledged that the Sun helped deliver the last two general elections to Blair & Labour.

It would take massive political guts to bite the hand that feeds them

Cairnsinho

Jul 14, 2003
The Sun printed lies. Lies that not only tarnished a Cities footballing community with the most sickly brush, but more so the memories of the 96 people who lost their lives. The people of Liverpool will continue to fight their corner for what they believe is justice, someone to be held accountable for those horrendous events, with the knowledge that they will probably never get there. They grew closer as a community, red and blue, would many of us not do the same?

I don't give a f**k about politics, the tabloids, cross media ownership etc. Christ I don't understand, or even want to understand half of it, and as far as I'm concerned what people think of the City of Liverpool itself makes no difference.

My only problem today is that 15 years later the Sun has tried to make what they percieve to be an apology. A piece that for a moment had me believing it's sincerity, before it slipped into cheap attacks on it's rival newspaper group, the people of Mersyside, and sat it all proudly on the shoulders of an 18 year old lad who may well be the brightest young footballing talents we have ever produced, and the current apple of his Countries eye.

All it seems to have done is pour further salt on to a lot of unhealed wounds, and I for one think it's a disgrace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here