Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The students are at it again after the Queen's Speech

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Youre going to rather a lot of trouble for someone who ' doesnt care ', rather proving my point I think..........

***** waits for ' whatever ' style reply from HT*****

But you've just quoted a post where I stated I DO care?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No, I wasn't.

The point the lecturers were making is that university should be about challenging your assumptions, exploring new ideas, debating issues. I did philosophy so they were talking very much about how the course is more than coming out with a 2.1. When I was at uni, I edited the college newspaper, helped set up a magazine, did some acting/directing at the drama society, played football, rugby and cricket, appeared on University Challenge, came second in the university chess tournament and won the bridge one, went on many demonstrations and attended most student union meetings. I also did plenty of drinking and gig going too - maybe I could have spent more time on academic work but I did OK, missed a first by just a few percent and have no regrets. Would my experience at university be any better if I'd done none of these things and studied for a few more hours every week? I don't think so
You sound like you more than made the most of your time at university, but different people have different aims , aspirations, the path you followed , whilst suiting you, may not have been for everyone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, I wasn't.

The point the lecturers were making is that university should be about challenging your assumptions, exploring new ideas, debating issues. I did philosophy so they were talking very much about how the course is more than coming out with a 2.1. When I was at uni, I edited the college newspaper, helped set up a magazine, did some acting/directing at the drama society, played football, rugby and cricket, appeared on University Challenge, came second in the university chess tournament and won the bridge one, went on many demonstrations and attended most student union meetings. I also did plenty of drinking and gig going too - maybe I could have spent more time on academic work but I did OK, missed a first by just a few percent and have no regrets. Would my experience at university be any better if I'd done none of these things and studied for a few more hours every week? I don't think so

You might have to explain this to Mr Mizen :lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
But you've just quoted a post where I stated I DO care?
You stated that you care about 'times' getting slower , we both know that what youre really worried about is 20 somethings sniggering at the bald , 40 something grandad who thinks hes still got it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You stated that you care about 'times' getting slower , we both know that what youre really worried about is 20 somethings sniggering at the bald , 40 something grandad who thinks hes still got it.

Whatever :lolol:

Waits for Mizen to jump up and down excitedly saying "told you so, told you so."

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Youre going to rather a lot of trouble for someone who ' doesnt care ', rather proving my point I think..........

***** waits for ' whatever ' style reply from HT*****

He was still fit enough to see you off of his front step wasn't he.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No, no he didnt, despite what he may tell you , he shit a brick, the invitation is still there, same as it is for you,anytime you want to give it the large one face to face, just let me know.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No, no he didnt, despite what he may tell you , he shit a brick, the invitation is still there, same as it is for you,anytime you want to give it the large one face to face, just let me know.

Whatever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is going well.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
For someone who doesn't think people should stand up and fight for what they believe in , old Mizen likes to throw it about a bit!

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
All this conversation about degrees and not needing them for bricklaying. No you don't but I have a city and guilds qualification in bricklaying and took 4 years to achieve. Which to some extent is a degree in bricklaying. It's not just about laying bricks you know. :D

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
All this conversation about degrees and not needing them for bricklaying. No you don't but I have a city and guilds qualification in bricklaying and took 4 years to achieve. Which to some extent is a degree in bricklaying. It's not just about laying bricks you know. :D

I can read Greek and Latin, and sweat copper pipe.
I have an (expired) sanitary tile layer's license.

I've taught the first, and done the second and third, for a living at different times in my life.

Whatever happened to the ideal of the Renaissance man?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

When a tradesman had City & Guilds following an apprenticeship, it was a great qualification. My brother is a time served tool maker.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
When a tradesman had City & Guilds following an apprenticeship, it was a great qualification. My brother is a time served tool maker.

It was a great qualification. I was talking to a chap today who has done a 16 week course to get his Electrical qualifications, never been on site before. He asked me about my apprenticeship, i informed him it was 6 weeks college and 4 weeks on site ongoing for the first year, 4 weeks college and 6 weeks on site for the second year ongoing, and 1 day at college and 4 days on site for the third year ongoing. After exams I ended up with Basic Craft Studies in the 1st year, Elec Installations A in the second, the B in the third year and Mechanical Technicians (Elec Bias) .
I could not come out of my time until aged 20, (21 if i had not passed my B) then had to do two years as an Electrician before i could apply to become an Approved Electrician. Years ago if you did not obtain the B you were an Electrician and was on a lower rate.
Now all Electricians are graded the same, and proper apprenticeships are scarce. People just get the qualifications and many have not done the practical, just theory.
A 5 year apprenticeship it was known as.
I never had time to go on demos because i was on site through the student holidays........working.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here