Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The students are at it again after the Queen's Speech

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A country where the students aren't protesting has something wrong with it.

I agree. I had a drink with some of my old lecturers a few years back and they were bemoaning the lack of student protest, complaining that they appeared at university with a clearly defined career path and nothing was distracting them from that

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A non-story really, more of a flash mob than a protest. June 20th is the big one however.

Although as the bleak realities of this government start to kick in, I predict the civil unrest will be at a level unprecedented for generations over the coming years.

We'll see,but I don't agree with you and I really cannot see the rationale for your statement.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I agree. I had a drink with some of my old lecturers a few years back and they were bemoaning the lack of student protest, complaining that they appeared at university with a clearly defined career path and nothing was distracting them from that

That's brilliant. Lecturers disappointed in their students for not protesting enough over Ill defined issues and idealistic posturing, and instead being focused on their work.

They kind of remind me of the teacher in all quiet on the western front, exhorting their charges to do something glorious, while you know they are deep down as materialistic and focused on doing up their ramshackle Tuscan farm house as any other Middle class professional.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

They sound very immature

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Great, the old university of life brigade are out again.
I had to listen to an old friend of my wife the other day moaning on about new staff at her place who have degrees 'so officially they're more qualified than me' but they haven't got a clue, 'but oh they've got a degree' (in la-di-da voice).

Well, if they're new to the job why don't you, with decades of experience, give them a hand and show them the ropes a bit as it only seems to be YOU who has an issue with the fact they've gone to university you moany old bitch.

Is what I didn't say.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
That's brilliant. Lecturers disappointed in their students for not protesting enough over Ill defined issues and idealistic posturing, and instead being focused on their work.

They kind of remind me of the teacher in all quiet on the western front, exhorting their charges to do something glorious, while you know they are deep down as materialistic and focused on doing up their ramshackle Tuscan farm house as any other Middle class professional.

I'm guessing, crazy as it may seem, that they may have been joking?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Oh behave, hair aside, I've got plenty of life and energy in me for which I'm grateful. Want to come raving at the weekend?
Yes. as you quite regularly go to great pains to point out, anyone would think you were worried about getting old........

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Exactly , its pitiful......

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm guessing, crazy as it may seem, that they may have been joking?
I think youre probably 'guessing ' incorrectly, gwylans post didnt seem to be in that vein

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Great, the old university of life brigade are out again.
I had to listen to an old friend of my wife the other day moaning on about new staff at her place who have degrees 'so officially they're more qualified than me' but they haven't got a clue, 'but oh they've got a degree' (in la-di-da voice).

Well, if they're new to the job why don't you, with decades of experience, give them a hand and show them the ropes a bit as it only seems to be YOU who has an issue with the fact they've gone to university you moany old bitch.

Is what I didn't say.
Nobody with a modicum of intelligence has a problem with graduates who have a decent academic degree , or even a decent vocational one , its the 'mcdegrees' that people are dismissive of .

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Nobody with a modicum of intelligence has a problem with graduates who have a decent academic degree , or even a decent vocational one , its the 'mcdegrees' that people are dismissive of .

But people throw around the 'mcdegree' accusation all the time, and unless someone has a good knowledge of what makes up a 'mcdegree' why should they talk about them in such a dismissive way? Why talk about young people trying to do something they've decided to do in such a patronising way?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. as you quite regularly go to great pains to point out, anyone would think you were worried about getting old........

I think you're confusing worry about age with pride in my fitness :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But people throw around the 'mcdegree' accusation all the time, and unless someone has a good knowledge of what makes up a 'mcdegree' why should they talk about them in such a dismissive way? Why talk about young people trying to do something they've decided to do in such a patronising way?

I agree. I often wonder if it's degree-envy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I will concede that I'm dreading the day when my race times start to get slower. But until then......

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I will concede that I'm dreading the day when my race times start to get slower. But until then......
Youre going to rather a lot of trouble for someone who ' doesnt care ', rather proving my point I think..........

***** waits for ' whatever ' style reply from HT*****

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I dont throw a mcdegree accusation around all the time, only when its warranted, like the people i know with degrees in film studies/american studies/travel and tourism/theatre studies etc

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think youre probably 'guessing ' incorrectly, gwylans post didnt seem to be in that vein

No, I wasn't.

The point the lecturers were making is that university should be about challenging your assumptions, exploring new ideas, debating issues. I did philosophy so they were talking very much about how the course is more than coming out with a 2.1. When I was at uni, I edited the college newspaper, helped set up a magazine, did some acting/directing at the drama society, played football, rugby and cricket, appeared on University Challenge, came second in the university chess tournament and won the bridge one, went on many demonstrations and attended most student union meetings. I also did plenty of drinking and gig going too - maybe I could have spent more time on academic work but I did OK, missed a first by just a few percent and have no regrets. Would my experience at university be any better if I'd done none of these things and studied for a few more hours every week? I don't think so

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here