Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Stable Yard - New Member's Club in Worthing

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
We were talking about this at Goodwood as well last week, those times are gone, the good burghers of Worthing would not embrace an establishment like this in these modern times.

Did you ever venture to the Belle Vue just down the road from Valley Parade at Bradford?

Match day strip shows, inc a topless DJ, 20p entry in January 1989, VFM, and I think we won as well!
No I missed that trip unfortunately .
Few years later I did pop into a hostelry between client visits just of the North Circular road , only a slight detour required .
Wasn't expecting the full on VIP experience but I guess that was a tradition reserved for first time visitors . All good fun though and no camera phones in those days .

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
But you hadn't heard of Tern, so it's clear you're not coming from a position of any real knowledge.

Most (all?) of these places didn't exist 8-10 years ago...

Local neighbourhood micro-pubs
Grizzly Bear
Refreshment Rooms
Brooksteed
Georgi Fin
Fox & Finch

Town Centre micro-pubs
Beer No Evil
The old Bike Store
Whisk(e)y Rooms
(There are few additional long-standing ones such as Green Man, Anchored etc)

Decent Town Centre pubs/bars
Corner House
New Amsterdam
Toad in the Hole
Egremont
Coast
Goose
Brewhouse

Good Restaurants
Vudu
Crudo
Perch on the Pier
Tern
Crabshack
Perch Pizza
Fiordilatte
Ami Bistro
Om
Salsa Viva
Issa

I'm not much of a cafe man, but Malt is fantastic for brunch and the likes of Flour Pot and Laughing Dog have spread over from Brighton.

That's all off the top of my head - I'm sure I've missed some good places.
As I now have 2 hours to kill in Worthing on Tuesday evenings 3 times a month whilst I hang around whilst my daughter plays netball this list is incredibly helpful.

Tern and Crabshack aren't open on Tuesdays sadly so I need to investigate the others in more detail.

Also is there anywhere in the outskirts of Worthing you would also recommend such as little gem of a country pub?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
As I now have 2 hours to kill in Worthing on Tuesday evenings 3 times a month whilst I hang around whilst my daughter plays netball this list is incredibly helpful.

Tern and Crabshack aren't open on Tuesdays sadly so I need to investigate the others in more detail.

Also is there anywhere in the outskirts of Worthing you would also recommend such as little gem of a country pub?

The Farmers in Lancing is lovely. Friendly locals, too.

(Under absolutely no circumstances should this post be taken seriously)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The Gun, Findon - Great British Pub of the Year 2022 no less.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The Gun, Findon - Great British Pub of the Year 2022 no less.

Great pub but a slight caveat it was voted the best pub owned by that specific brewery.

I‘d argue it’s not even the best pub in Findon/Worthing let alone the UK 😂

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great pub but a slight caveat it was voted the best pub owned by that specific brewery.

I‘d argue it’s not even the best pub in Findon/Worthing let alone the UK 😂
It was actually both.

It received:

Marston's Pub of the Year, and
Great British Pub of the Year

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Madri is awful, it is carling with extra hops - why anyone would drink it is beyond me.
Chugging a Madri is marketed as being a sign of Gentrification....as you say, awful drink but incredibly well marketed...

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
There’s a real strange vibe about some Worthing residents about new food and cafe places.

There was a FB update about the new Greek place opening where Game used to be. And it was filled with comments about “not another food place” and “too many cafes”

It’s so strange, I am amazed how many decent and independent places there are in Worthing, for a town it’s size usually it’s only chains.

The way high streets are going it’s far more about leisure than shops.

I’m a bit sceptical of this private members club idea, but do think it’s ultimately about an Airbnb room rentals thing with Co working offices but trying to make it seem more exciting.

Do think the food court they’ve also got planned will work well. I mean the car park tent one has done reasonably despite having lots of disadvantages/weather dependent

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This place may or may not be any good, but their marketing and presentation is simply the worst I have ever seen. It genuinely looks like it's been written by an 8-year-old.

Example, this is the opening sentence in their launch email I just found in my Inbox:

"We are very sorry for the delay in posting this and the full website launching unfortunately our lead project controller suffered a family bereavement last week resulting in some planned works not being able to be completed in time for our 15th deadline for release, we hope you will bear with us and our team during this moment, we had planned on photoshoot images being ready and our 3D rendering of the full venue, both these items will be completed in the coming days and be released as fast as we can in the meantime we are releasing the membership information and 50% off discount code for locals only to book membership, we look forward to releasing before xmas some actual venue shots plus images of all spaces and our 3D images of the planned finished club."​

Regardless of the atrocious message itself, the language and (lack of) punctuation is quite incredible.

I then click through to their website and there's a typo in the opening sentence...

"Transforming the historic former Beales site in the Montage Quarter, Worthing, an innovative member’s lifestyle club is set to open this coming winter."​

...as it is, I believe, the Montague Quarter.

Beyond that the whole website is error-strewn.

It's just a really shoddy approach that seems to be at odds with the image they are trying to portray.

Anyone joined?!?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This place may or may not be any good, but their marketing and presentation is simply the worst I have ever seen. It genuinely looks like it's been written by an 8-year-old.

Example, this is the opening sentence in their launch email I just found in my Inbox:

"We are very sorry for the delay in posting this and the full website launching unfortunately our lead project controller suffered a family bereavement last week resulting in some planned works not being able to be completed in time for our 15th deadline for release, we hope you will bear with us and our team during this moment, we had planned on photoshoot images being ready and our 3D rendering of the full venue, both these items will be completed in the coming days and be released as fast as we can in the meantime we are releasing the membership information and 50% off discount code for locals only to book membership, we look forward to releasing before xmas some actual venue shots plus images of all spaces and our 3D images of the planned finished club."​

Regardless of the atrocious message itself, the language and (lack of) punctuation is quite incredible.

I then click through to their website and there's a typo in the opening sentence...

"Transforming the historic former Beales site in the Montage Quarter, Worthing, an innovative member’s lifestyle club is set to open this coming winter."​

It's just a really shoddy approach that seems to be at odds with the image they are trying to portray.

Anyone joined?!?

Do they have a denim policy?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Anyone joined?!?
Really odd isn’t it. Could be wrong but right from the initial announcement I suspected this is doomed to fail.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, Tern is the most ambitious addition to Worthing's food scene since Pitch, arguably more so. I'm not convinced it will last the course, but I admire the endeavours of Johnny Stanford in trying. He got rave reviews at Pascere, so I hope he can pull it off. I'm not sure the good folk of Worthing are quite ready though.

In terms of what I consider "good" in the places I listed: consistently flavoursome food in comfortable surroundings for meals with friends or family at prices that won't break the bank. Other than Tern, none of them are fine dining and I wouldn't pretend otherwise.

Anyway, you seem to have got very angry about all this. I'm not trying to convince anyone to visit Worthing. I'm not trying to pretend Brighton needs to watch out. But I think anyone who thinks Worthing is no better than it was 10 years ago, or actually worse, is fundamentally wrong.
Spot on.

Is Worthing brilliant? No.

Are the food options WAY better than 5-10 year ago? Unarguably.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do they have a denim policy?
Amusingly, I've just found that you are not allowed to wear denim. In the gym. Obviously...

"Suitable gym clothing and clean trainers must be worn at all times. Denim is not permitted."​

Again, those Ts&Cs look like an 8-year-old wrote them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Amusingly, I've just found that you are not allowed to wear denim. In the gym. Obviously...

"Suitable gym clothing and clean trainers must be worn at all times. Denim is not permitted."​

Again, those Ts&Cs look like an 8-year-old wrote them.
So, just so we’re clear, @The Clamp won’t be permitted to wear his sleeveless ‘Quo’ denim top and cut-down bleached jeans whilst working out?

For that reason, I fear he may be out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So, just so we’re clear, @The Clamp won’t be permitted to wear his sleeveless ‘Quo’ denim top and cut-down bleached jeans whilst working out?

For that reason, I fear he may be out.

I just don’t know how they hope to attract the right clientele with these arcane rules on attire. Barbarians.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here