Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Stable Yard - New Member's Club in Worthing

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
👍 I’m not sure Soho house in Brighton is hitting the management’s expectations or so I’ve been told😉
Its a big ask in this climate, the 'great and the good' of Brighton and Hove want to hip and trendy but they don't like paying for it.
Absolutely no chance of that amount of members I'd say. 500 tops? That part of Worthing is definitely improving though but all the time McDonalds is there it isn't going to help their desire to make this more up market. Nandos moved in recently which they heralded. I think that says much really. They want it to be the restaurant area, but it has a long way to go along there.
Even 500 members at £500, you won't generate the working capital to make it viable.

After the debacle of Pitch and Tutt doing the dirty on so many local youngsters who worked for him, not to mention the gift vouchers sold and the deposits taken for Xmas bookings, someone was talking about that at Goodwood last week even before we discussed the Stable Yard at the weekend.

He was talking £1,000 a year membership for a potential 'The Warwick Club', but a quick tot of the figures involved and that was even less viable than the Stable Yard.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Its a big ask in this climate, the 'great and the good' of Brighton and Hove want to hip and trendy but they don't like paying for it.

Even 500 members at £500, you won't generate the working capital to make it viable.

After the debacle of Pitch and Tutt doing the dirty on so many local youngsters who worked for him, not to mention the gift vouchers sold and the deposits taken for Xmas bookings, someone was talking about that at Goodwood last week even before we discussed the Stable Yard at the weekend.

He was talking £1,000 a year membership for a potential 'The Warwick Club', but a quick tot of the figures involved and that was even less viable than the Stable Yard.
Blimey. So disappointing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And ‘we’ get it, you think it’s improved.

I don’t.

It’s not an agenda or anything ridiculous like that, I have lived in the area the vast majority of my life. I just don’t see what you’re describing.
But you hadn't heard of Tern, so it's clear you're not coming from a position of any real knowledge.

Most (all?) of these places didn't exist 8-10 years ago...

Local neighbourhood micro-pubs
Grizzly Bear
Refreshment Rooms
Brooksteed
Georgi Fin
Fox & Finch

Town Centre micro-pubs
Beer No Evil
The old Bike Store
Whisk(e)y Rooms
(There are few additional long-standing ones such as Green Man, Anchored etc)

Decent Town Centre pubs/bars
Corner House
New Amsterdam
Toad in the Hole
Egremont
Coast
Goose
Brewhouse

Good Restaurants
Vudu
Crudo
Perch on the Pier
Tern
Crabshack
Perch Pizza
Fiordilatte
Ami Bistro
Om
Salsa Viva
Issa

I'm not much of a cafe man, but Malt is fantastic for brunch and the likes of Flour Pot and Laughing Dog have spread over from Brighton.

That's all off the top of my head - I'm sure I've missed some good places.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And ‘we’ get it, you think it’s improved.

I don’t.

It’s not an agenda or anything ridiculous like that, I have lived in the area the vast majority of my life. I just don’t see what you’re describing.
I’ve been going to Worthing for decades, never really liked it for most of that time but I think it’s untrue to say it hasn’t improved.

I’m an horrendous snob and I am warming to the place now that its restaurants and pubs are improving.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But you hadn't heard of Tern, so it's clear you're not coming from a position of any real knowledge.

Grizzly Bear
Refreshment Rooms
Brooksteed
Georgi Fin
Fox & Finch

Town Centre micro-pubs
Beer No Evil
The old Bike Store
Whisk(e)y Rooms

Corner House
New Amsterdam
Toad in the Hole
Egremont
Coast
Goose
Brewhouse

Good Restaurants
Vudu
Crudo
Perch on the Pier
Tern
Crabshack
Perch Pizza
Fiordilatte
Ami Bistro
Om
Salsa Viva
Issa

I'm not much of a cafe man, but Malt is fantastic for brunch and the likes of Flour Pot and Laughing Dog have spread over from Brighton.

That’s an impressive list.

It’s been there ages, but what is the pub up past Waitrose, along a road on the right. Small, Older place that serves a lot of real ales?

Love that pub.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That’s an impressive list.

It’s been there ages, but what is the pub up past Waitrose, along a road on the right. Small, Older place that serves a lot of real ales?

Love that pub.
The Selden Arms.

I know there's one or two on here who like it - can't recall who.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Grizzly Bear
Refreshment Rooms
Brooksteed
Georgi Fin
Fox & Finch

Town Centre micro-pubs
Beer No Evil
The old Bike Store
Whisk(e)y Rooms

Corner House
New Amsterdam
Toad in the Hole
Egremont
Coast
Goose
Brewhouse

Good Restaurants
Vudu
Crudo
Perch on the Pier
Tern
Crabshack
Perch Pizza
Fiordilatte
Ami Bistro
Om
Salsa Viva
Issa

Feck me Bozza - not coming from a position of any real knowledge?
Big leap on the basis of not knowing one restaurant.

Been to most of those you mentioned and clearly it depends on what you consider ‘good’.

You must be right though having produced such a list….. jeez

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Right, it’s off to G-Lite for cannoli and coffee. I can resist no longer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Feck me Bozza - not coming from a position of any real knowledge?
Big leap on the basis of not knowing one restaurant.

Been to most of those you mentioned and clearly it depends on what you consider ‘good’.

You must be right though having produced such a list….. jeez

Well, Tern is the most ambitious addition to Worthing's food scene since Pitch, arguably more so. I'm not convinced it will last the course, but I admire the endeavours of Johnny Stanford in trying. He got rave reviews at Pascere, so I hope he can pull it off. I'm not sure the good folk of Worthing are quite ready though.

In terms of what I consider "good" in the places I listed: consistently flavoursome food in comfortable surroundings for meals with friends or family at prices that won't break the bank. Other than Tern, none of them are fine dining and I wouldn't pretend otherwise.

Anyway, you seem to have got very angry about all this. I'm not trying to convince anyone to visit Worthing. I'm not trying to pretend Brighton needs to watch out. But I think anyone who thinks Worthing is no better than it was 10 years ago, or actually worse, is fundamentally wrong.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Will it one of those clubs that has strippers on at lunchtime ?
We were talking about this at Goodwood as well last week, those times are gone, the good burghers of Worthing would not embrace an establishment like this in these modern times.

Did you ever venture to the Belle Vue just down the road from Valley Parade at Bradford?

Match day strip shows, inc a topless DJ, 20p entry in January 1989, VFM, and I think we won as well!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well, Tern is the most ambitious addition to Worthing's food scene since Pitch, arguably more so. I'm not convinced it will last the course, but I admire the endeavours of Johnny Stanford in trying. He got rave reviews at Pascere, so I hope he can pull it off. I'm not sure the good folk of Worthing are quite ready though.

In terms of what I consider "good" in the places I listed: consistently flavoursome food in comfortable surroundings for meals with friends or family at prices that won't break the bank. Other than Tern, none of them are fine dining and I wouldn't pretend otherwise.

Anyway, you seem to have got very angry about all this. I'm not trying to convince anyone to visit Worthing. I'm not trying to pretend Brighton needs to watch out. But I think anyone who thinks Worthing is no better than it was 10 years ago, or actually worse, is fundamentally wrong.
Not angry at all, but quite surprised at your tone. (Not coming from a position of knowledge, suiting an agenda etc, felt a bit OTT to me - I suppose I should assume best intentions when reading).

I look forward to trying Tern - (thanks again)

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the other bits.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That’s the one.

I have staggered out of there a number of times!

It’s been taken over by the owners of the Hole in the Wall in Brighton now. Still a bunch of cask lines but much more keg. Probably my fave pub in Worthing now

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

rd.

Is that true ? Their statement said all staff had been paid. Reality is if the wolfs at the door, the business gets taken out your hands anyway and no one gets paid as an administrator gets involved

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Sounds a laugh . You are correct , Rockwater it’s not a proper members club anyone can book. There are some perks about membership but I can’t remember what they are . I’m not a member of Rockwater.

It is nice though .

I do agree , Worthing seems to have gone downhill . Lots of trouble in the evenings especially town centre.
One of the benefits was access to a Brighton season ticket not sure how that works. Look I’m sure it’s nice in there an stuff but there’s something I deeply resent about it and I’m not sure what it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here