The Spurs game is definitely reduced capacity

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BrightonGuy

Jun 3, 2011
Brighton
After the ramp up events when the club's shown that the stadium is functioning safely and correctly and all the associated support functions (eg the transport management) are too. The council will then presumably sign over the lease for the land on which the Amex is built at the same time, ready for 6 August.

Pretty much what i said as well :smokin:

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Of course its a ramp up event, its before the first league game,..... but I would question the wisdom of making the first time we have a capacity crowd actually on the first league game,...... seems a little limiting to me,..... how will they be able to iron out the wrinkles before the main event if they havn't experienced a full house?
:facepalm:

My thoughts exactly, which is why I made this topic. It doesn't make sense but if that's the way they're doing it, can't change it now. It's not like an extra 5,500 people to deal with is a small number.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Before they are allowed to have a full capacity they have to have ramp up events to check all sorts of things like health and safety, number of staff neded, time it will take for the stadium to fill and empty, check all security camera etc
They will have part of the full certificate beforehand but they have to prove and that is 100% safe what the ramp ups are mainly for. But there is no reason to worry about health and safety in ramp ups
hope this helps

After the ramp up events when the club's shown that the stadium is functioning safely and correctly and all the associated support functions (eg the transport management) are too. The council will then presumably sign over the lease for the land on which the Amex is built at the same time, ready for 6 August.

Cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The trouble with ramp-up events is that they have to be big enough to test the systems.

From a supporter's point of view (even as a season ticket holder) it will be interesting to see how the club manage ticket sales for this game. Presumably part of the ramping up will test how the ticketing system will work for a big cup game at home.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My thoughts exactly, which is why I made this topic. It doesn't make sense but if that's the way they're doing it, can't change it now. It's not like an extra 5,500 people to deal with is a small number.

It has been well publicised for a year or two. The thing is, were we to have yet another friendly, would there be sufficient interest to fill the stadium?

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Which is why it would have made sense to have a game at 17k, before the Spurs one, then use Tottenham as a full capacity game. That was my logic anyway.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I take it all stands will be open-just say for example 55% of capacity?

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Not interested in that game and won't be going.
Couldn't believe the high ticket prices for a friendly, and
I was hoping for the most important day in Albion's history (for at least 28 years), that a mega-club would visit.

But really looking forward to the Sx Senior Cup Final to get a feel for the Amex, the first league game, and the first competitive evening game.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This has actually started me wondering how clubs like Darlington and MK Dons managed to get their safety certificates. Surely, neither have managed to stage a full capacity event yet, and Darlo probably haven't managed a 75% one even.

Edit: Just checked and their record attendance isn't even 50% of capacity! :facepalm:

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The trouble with ramp-up events is that they have to be big enough to test the systems.

From a supporter's point of view (even as a season ticket holder) it will be interesting to see how the club manage ticket sales for the Spurs game. Presumably part of the ramping up will test how the ticketing system will work for a big cup game at home.

The question of non season ticket sales is no different from what the club has been doing for years so not an issue in my view. Yes, one could say that ramp up from 10K to 15K to 20K, (thereby involving another fixture) may be logistically problematic. Going from 10 to 15 K gives a more than adequate opportunity to identify any problems on most issues, the most important of which are probably those relating to transport and to 'clearing' supporters from the Amex within a reasonable time (ignoring those who may wish to remain in the various bars) This 'experience' will tell the club whether or not they require extra bar staff or stewards or whatever and that is what the HSE will want to be happy about.

Clearly, the club will identify any issues and these will be discussed and agreed with HSE, and that will result in 'opening' on 6th August with the full agreed capacity of 22500.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

In other the news it is annouced the King is to divorce Anne Boleyn

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This has actually started me wondering how clubs like Darlington and MK Dons managed to get their safety certificates. Surely, neither have managed to stage a full capacity event yet, and Darlo probably haven't managed a 75% one even.

Edit: Just checked and their record attendance isn't even 50% of capacity! :facepalm:
They probably had a Boyzone concert or something!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Have I missed something? I thought there was no info yet on tickets - prices or allocation.

Within 24 hours of Tony Bloom announcing the game, either the Club or the Argus mentioned figures of c. £25/£30 per basic ticket I reecall.
For a true friendly where the players jog around, change 8 personnel each at H/T, I think that's a rip-off.
No doubt boringly commercial Danny Levy asked for a large payment to bring the Europa-League qualifiers down.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Within 24 hours of Tony Bloom announcing the game, either the Club or the Argus mentioned figures of c. £25/£30 per basic ticket I reecall.
For a true friendly where the players jog around, change 8 personnel each at H/T, I think that's a rip-off.
No doubt boringly commercial Danny Levy asked for a large payment to bring the Europa-League qualifiers down.

Couldn't give a toss about the football personally, but more than happy to pay £30 to watch The Amex opening ceremony with Dick Knight, Peter Ward etc etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports