Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Got one yesterday claiming to be NHS with a link to get the covid pass, checked the mobile number it originated from via google, it's a known scam where they look to charge you £4.99 for the pass. I just downloaded the actual NHS app and got my pass, for free obviously, that way. Not a very sophisticated scam but one nonetheless.

The mobile number used was 07306 391164

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, it is difficult to believe that there are still people who fall for these "obvious" scams but sadly they do. If they didn't, the scammers wouldnt be using them.

Bear in mind that they are mailshotting these scams to many thousands at a time. They only need a couple to respond and they have made their money. I have always been convinced that if they employed someone to re-write their scams into credible English they would be far more successful. Let's just all be grateful that they don't have that level of sophistication.

There was recently a daytime tv programme with her that used to be a singer and then was on Corrie looking at people caught by (mostly) romance scams. They are a different beast and many fairly smart and sophisticated people lost many thousands to the scammers.

If you ever get a flicker of doubt and wonder "is this a scam?". It will be.

A few years back I went on an 'Ethical Hacking' course and apparently some scams are deliberately obvious because the scammers know that if you been sent an email/text that is full of spelling and grammar errors - and you STILL click the link, reply or whatever .... then you're obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer and thus they have far more chance of bringing the scam to a successful conclusion. If the quality of the 'phish' is good you might get more replies, but a large proportion of those will be suspicious people going into it with their eyes open and ultimately won't fall for the con. You will have to spend time and effort weeding-out these time-wasters rather than just being able to focus on your more probable 'customers'.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
1st time i've dipped my toe into this thread, but looking in my spam folder I found this old school scam email:

NATWEST BANK PLC,
10 Southwark Street ,
London Bridge , London - UK
SE1 1TT
RC: 121878
Our Ref: NTB/WESTMIN/INTER-15
Your Ref: Affidavit: AFX 076GD7B24
Tell=+447451274125
Fax+448435643403

REF:- INSTRUCTION TO CREDIT YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THE SUM OF (US$10Million)

In the fight against corruption in the Banking system and in pursuit to re-build a good relationship with the British Government and the foreigners by the British Prime Minister. This is the second time we are notifying you about this said fund. After due vetting and evaluation of your file that was sent to us by the Nigerian Government in conjunction with the Ministry of Finance and Central Bank of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The British Government, World Bank and United Nation has approved a compensation payment of US$10,000,000.00 in your name which shall be transferred to your bank account through an online account, we will create an online bank in your name and you will transfer your funds by yourself through our online account. We chose to transfer your fund through online banking so that no Agency will notice or stop your fund.

You shall receive this compensation fund within 3 working days, if you comply with our instructions and adhere to our directives. We were meant to understand from our findings that you have been going through hard times by Paying a lot of charges to see to the release of your fund (US$10Million), this has been the handwork of some miscreant elements from that Country.

We advise that you stop further communication with any correspondence from any bank, or anywhere Concerning your funds as you will receive your funds from this bank if you follow our instruction.

Do not go through anybody again but through this Bank if you really want your fund.

Finally, you are advice to re-confirm these to us,
Your Full Name,
Contact address,
Occupation
Telephone and Fax Number for easy communication.

We need your second email gmail or hotmail for security and private reasons. Kindly reply to my private email below for urgent attention.

Yours sincerely,
Mr Anthony M. Smith
Head Of Account Department,
NatWest Bank, London United Kingdom.
My Private Email: natwestbnkfund@att.net
WHATSAP ONLY: +447520619328

Got one yesterday claiming to be NHS with a link to get the covid pass, checked the mobile number it originated from via google, it's a known scam where they look to charge you £4.99 for the pass. I just downloaded the actual NHS app and got my pass, for free obviously, that way. Not a very sophisticated scam but one nonetheless.

The mobile number used was 07306 391164

actually it wont be classified as a scam if they actually deliver the end product. this has been going on for years with both passports and driving licenses. they submit the documents on your behalf and charge a "facilitation fee" eg driving license £70 instead of £20. it was investigated by Watchdog or Rip Off Britain i believe

Of course if/when they get shut down i would hate to think what would happen to all the information they hold on you including passport photo etc

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hello customer, there is a £900 fraudulent transaction on your Visa account, you need to cancel this press 1.

Automated voice for this scam

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Facebook are coming under a lot of flack for allowing these stupid threads which thousands of people seem to answer like 'What was your first car / school / girlfriend's name etc', because these are very often one of the security questions companies ask when you forget your password.

I cannot believe that people actually provide this information in what is very obviously a phishing exercise. They probably see it as some harmless piece of trivia without realising what is going on.

Facebook - the gift that keeps on giving

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Facebook are coming under a lot of flack for allowing these stupid threads which thousands of people seem to answer like 'What was your first car / school / girlfriend's name etc', because these are very often one of the security questions companies ask when you forget your password.

I cannot believe that people actually provide this information in what is very obviously a phishing exercise. They probably see it as some harmless piece of trivia without realising what is going on.

Facebook - the gift that keeps on giving

facebook has quickly become something to be avoided , some of the pages and groups on there are highly questionable with very suspect content , however it only takes the word twatt to be used in a BHA related conversation for some butterfly to get his feelings hurt and report you and get you banned , it really is not worth the effort these days , Qoura on the other hand ....well , i'll leave you to discover it , the gloves are off.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Seems legit.....

United Kingdom National Health Service <kubo@daisei-kk.co.jp>

Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination - NHS

Hello dear Citizen,

The COVID-19 travel certificate has been created in a bid to restore the freedom of travel,
which has been put at a halt for over a year now, since the pandemic erupted all over the block.

Through the certificate, the Commission intends to remove travel restrictions as entry bans, quarantine obligation, and testing.

Those holding such a document will be able to travel throughout Europe without the need to quarantine or test for COVID-19

Please confirm or reject your invitation by selecting an option below:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Not really a scam on me perhaps but perhaps on the UK Govt. Over last 4-6 months I've received HMRC letters that have my correct address on but different names (noone who has lived here in the past as I bought from new). Another today, to total 5 different names in that time. I've returned all to the post box as return to sender/no one of that name ever lived here etc. Don't receive further letters for that name but another pops along in a different name (my address). I've kept eye on Kredit Karma re my credit score or names listed at my address etc but nothing unusual. Wonder if this is some kinf of furlough scam on the Govt though? (as they are tax details)

Jul 7, 2003
Not really a scam on me perhaps but perhaps on the UK Govt. Over last 4-6 months I've received HMRC letters that have my correct address on but different names (noone who has lived here in the past as I bought from new). Another today, to total 5 different names in that time. I've returned all to the post box as return to sender/no one of that name ever lived here etc. Don't receive further letters for that name but another pops along in a different name (my address). I've kept eye on Kredit Karma re my credit score or names listed at my address etc but nothing unusual. Wonder if this is some kinf of furlough scam on the Govt though? (as they are tax details)

Personally, I would take a number from the HMRC website rather than the letters and give them a call to ask. HMRC are not known for being proactive so better to check now than have to spend loads of time sorting out something not of your making further down the line.

Assuming it is not a scam, if nothing else, they should be able to clear others from your address on their database.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Personally, I would take a number from the HMRC website rather than the letters and give them a call to ask. HMRC are not known for being proactive so better to check now than have to spend loads of time sorting out something not of your making further down the line.

Assuming it is not a scam, if nothing else, they should be able to clear others from your address on their database.

ok thanks, will give them a call.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
ALL SHOPKEEPERS.
Never seen this one before, and yes I got done for £100.
Customers, normally in a group, will take control of the credit card machine whilst another person distracts the staff.
Customer then cancels sale and starts again but keys in an extra digit at the end (£125.33 instead of £12.53). Then swipes card rather than enter pin and presses 'enter' to say sale is good. At this point staff have not seen what happened. Customer then points out error to staff ie they say staff added an extra '3' by mistake, but sale has gone through as a 'signed for' sale.
The scammer will hope no elder manager is around as they say they will take a refund on the card.
Staff then give a refund on A CARD but not the original card.
MOTTO
Do not allow any 'signed for' or 'keyed' sales. If they do occur, never give a refund.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Are you self employed and if so do you have any businesses registered at the address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20211001-085823_Gmail.jpg

Anyone on here???

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I've started getting SMS messages from Free Stuff. Doesn't seem any way to block them and presume texting back 'Stop' or 'Cancel' as they suggest incurs a charge but won't stop them. Anyone had the same and managed to bin them off?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here