Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I've started getting SMS messages from Free Stuff. Doesn't seem any way to block them and presume texting back 'Stop' or 'Cancel' as they suggest incurs a charge but won't stop them. Anyone had the same and managed to bin them off?

See https://uk.pcmag.com/blackberry-apps/119711/how-to-block-robotexts-and-spam-messages?p=1 and https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-deal-with-spam-text-messages-axsG54B0mH0H

Do not reply - sending a Stop reply just confirms that yours is a valid number, and that you have read the text. Your number will swiftly be sold on to others.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Wow....all this money coming my way:O

THIS IS A VERY URGENT MESSAGE REGARDING YOUR FUNDS!!!
Yahoo
/
Spam

Dorothy Georgieva <rgp98644349@gmail.com>
Bcc:

Mon, 8 Nov at 19:29

For your security, we have disabled links in this email. If you believe it is safe to use, mark this message as not spam.
--
Attention Dear!!!

I am contacting you to inform you that we have concluded to effect
your Inheritance Lottery Wining payment through Western Union Money
transfer & we have sent out the first transfer of $5,000 this morning
from your Inheritance sum of $2.5 Million, therefore you need to
contact the Western Union agent David Kamakas and ask him for all the
transfer payment information & the MTCN for to you to pick it up at or
from any nearby Western Union.

Contact Agent: David Kamakas
Email: westernuniocenter2020@gmail.com
PH: +229 61074526

contact him with your name and address ASAP. Note: our arrangement is
that they will be sending you $5000 X3 times daily, so remember to
Indicate the fund
registration code of WU-TR56005 as subject when Emailing or calling him.

Sincerely,

Ms. Dorothy Georgieva
IMF MANAGER

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I took a call this afternoon from a supposed UK 07*** mobile number. A pre-recorded American voice told me "This is HMRC, you have committed a tax crime, to rectify the position now ..... blah, blah, blah".

Yeah, right.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I took a call this afternoon from a supposed UK 07*** mobile number. A pre-recorded American voice told me "This is HMRC, you have committed a tax crime, to rectify the position now ..... blah, blah, blah".

Yeah, right.
Did you check the number with " Who Called Me " ? ...I had a call from Aberdeen today, obv did not answer as I know no one in Aberdeen, checked the number and its a dodgy mobile scam.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Phone Contract Offers
Sussex and Surrey Police have received several reports from victims who have been contacted by fraudsters out of the blue offering phone contract deals.

In one case a 38-year-old Female from West Sussex received a call from a male claiming to be from Three mobile’s promotion team. The caller was offering the victim a one-time offer on a new mobile phone contract.

The caller then sent the victim an email detailing the offer which appeared genuine and sophisticated. The victim was then asked to provide her personal and banking details to run a credit check and pay a £25 deposit before setting up the contract.

After providing her details and ending the call the victim grew suspicions and contacted her bank who were able to cancel her bank card before any payments were taken.

A few days later, the victim had three phones delivered to her address with O2 contracts. The victim then received another call claiming the phones had been delivered to the wrong address and someone would come to collect them from her. The victim, concerned her personal details had been used, took the phones to an O2 shop to report the fraud.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve received a flurry of emails from a Swiss mobile / broadband provider today with what appears to be a person of Thai origin opening an account and taking out services but using my gmail account as a set up.

I’ve checked it thoroughly and it is legit, isn’t phishing or anything (all links are legit) and there is no ‘scam’ per se, but does seem random.

My gmail account has 2FA on it with no activity on it so not concerned about that, but is very random.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I currently have 81 scam calls saved on my mobile phone.
I get at least 2 a day ranging from Dublin/Edinburgh/Birmingham/London/Liverpool and everywhere in between.
When I get to 100 I delete them and start again.
I have done this at least twice this year.
Recent ones from O2, Virgin, and 077 number.
Favourite one so far:
'My plane has landed from Malaysia but hotel needs your credit card details so I can get a room'
:moo:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Did you check the number with " Who Called Me " ? ...I had a call from Aberdeen today, obv did not answer as I know no one in Aberdeen, checked the number and its a dodgy mobile scam.
You should have rung the number they gave you and complained about their scamming

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
‘Got lucky’ relatively speaking with a fraud of my bank debit card.

I’ve a very rarely used second bank current account, where these days I transfer a few quid in before ordering/paying for a home delivered Indian over the phone.

Low and behold someone paid for a £13 Uber fare in Brighton with the card details. We’ve never used Uber!

Leaving a few pennies left.

The lesson to me, after getting an entirely new card sent out ….. carry on doing as I was before for telephone orders, the account has bugger all in it, limiting frauds to a joke level.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I currently have 81 scam calls saved on my mobile phone.
I get at least 2 a day ranging from Dublin/Edinburgh/Birmingham/London/Liverpool and everywhere in between.
When I get to 100 I delete them and start again.
I have done this at least twice this year.
Recent ones from O2, Virgin, and 077 number.
Favourite one so far:
'My plane has landed from Malaysia but hotel needs your credit card details so I can get a room'
:moo:
You need to keep an eye on you lad's vacationing. There are jobs wanting to be started. FFS

:wink:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
New one on me today. Email reminding me to renew my TV licence. Having just swopped banks I thought there may be a problem and was so so close to clicking Renew Now when I noticed the date was 3/31/2023 rather than 31/3/2023.
mail came from admin@marble.co.jp.
I found out accidentally that multiquotes stay in your library & you can quote across threads *if that makes sense. @Official Old Man received the above scam email, so it's doing the rounds again.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
EE keep calling me* with upgrades for an iPhone 14 for £35pm unlimited everything.

I have perfected my script to keep them on the phone for as long as possible including getting an extra phone for my wife and one for my girlfriend as I think my wife maybe on to my girlfriend. Great fun.

*I gather they bought the data leak after EE had been hacked a few years ago.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20230331_214915_WhatsApp.jpg

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
EE keep calling me* with upgrades for an iPhone 14 for £35pm unlimited everything.

I have perfected my script to keep them on the phone for as long as possible including getting an extra phone for my wife and one for my girlfriend as I think my wife maybe on to my girlfriend. Great fun.

*I gather they bought the data leak after EE had been hacked a few years ago.
I used to do a similar thing when I had calls from 'Microsoft' telling me I had a problems with my broadband. Jnr had been watching 'scammer gets scammed' vids on Youtube duing lockdown so he knew what to do. I'd spend 5 mins acting like a complete technophobe before saying 'Ooo jnr has mentioned his Xbox has been very slow', calling jnr down from his Xbox which took another couple of mins, then handing over the phone to jnr, who kept them trying to trick him for another 5 mins. They tried to make it sound so legit that when he said 'are you going to want my bank details' they said 'no, we just need to check your internet connection'. He just pretended to do what they said without actually doing it, they got the hump & hung up after another 5 mins. At least 15 mins scammer time wasted & 15 mins of fun for us! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here