Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The last 2 days I have had a lot ( for me) of mobile calls from unknown numbers in the UK, none ever leave a message, I'm getting 6-7 calls a day suddenly.. Any ideas everyone?

Edit: Forgot to add that they are all different mobile numbers, none have called more than once.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The last 2 days I have had a lot ( for me) of mobile calls from unknown numbers in the UK, none ever leave a message, I'm getting 6-7 calls a day suddenly.. Any ideas everyone?

Edit: Forgot to add that they are all different mobile numbers, none have called more than once.

Scammers upgrade.

They now have the ability to effectively show different numbers, so that by blocking a scamming number the scammers can still reach you.
The best thing to do, as I think most people do, if you get a call from a number you don't recognise, do not answer it. If its important a message will be left, if no message its usually a scammer. If you don't answer they seem to get fed up and the calls should stop in a few days,

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What I find strange is at least two of the scammers are using an automatically generated voice(BT call) and an american accented one for my bank but still automated. They just sound fraudulent....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Scammers upgrade.

They now have the ability to effectively show different numbers, so that by blocking a scamming number the scammers can still reach you.
The best thing to do, as I think most people do, if you get a call from a number you don't recognise, do not answer it. If its important a message will be left, if no message its usually a scammer. If you don't answer they seem to get fed up and the calls should stop in a few days,
Thanks for that, I have not answered any and will continue to do so on your advice, cheers!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The classic texted attempted fraud. We’re not awaiting a parcel and wouldn’t pay extra anyway.

22BC9A6F-4DBF-435B-9460-F7BAF3140D53.png

Annoying how they’re able to get a plausible looking weblink.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
New one for me this morning.

Recorded voice telling me HMRC will issue a warrant for my arrest if I do not push 1. I didn't and now I'm waiting for the old bill to turn up

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Yipee! I'm going to be rich - after all he promises it's real.

To:
Cc:
Sent: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 at 4:45
Subject: Re: Your USD 550,000,
Your e'mail has won $550,000.00 in our Covid-19 Relief Lottery Draws. Please reply us as soon as possible to collect your $550,000.00 Covid-19 Relief Package.

To claim your win, please contact: <DanielBrown@eclipso.de>

This is 100% Real and must be collected in 14 days.

Have a great day.

Thanks & Regards
Mr. Celik Mehmet Mos.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had a phone call this morning from a web ‘developer’ who told me of a website using a similar name to my business, my address and telephone number. It is for a butcher’s, that appears not to exist.
The caller offered to send me the link if I sent him my email address.
I declined, and just asked him to tell me what the web address was which he did. He also told me , he wanted to build a site for a business ( come-incidentally, a butcher’s)that wanted to use the same name as the bogus site. He said, until the site was removed, he couldn’t use it. My question is, if this is a scam, who is doing the scamming?
Is it the guy who phoned me, is it the bogus website owners, and who are they scamming, me, or someone else, or the Government to get Covid grants for a bogus small business?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'm RICH....... Finally I'm RICH. Thank you mojtoo@alice.it

Your e'mail has won* $550,000.00* in our Covid-19 Relief Lottery Draws. Please reply us as soon as possible to collect your $550,000.00 Covid-19 Relief Package.

To claim your win, please send contact details to Rev. William Bohrr: rev.william.bohrr@minister. com

This is 100% Real and must be collected in 14 days.

Have a great day.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

They're all computer dialled, as already mentioned if not on your contact list, don't answer and when rung off, block and report the number.
You can register here for landline and mobile blocking calls.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/whatiscorporatetps.html

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They're all computer dialled, as already mentioned if not on your contact list, don't answer and when rung off, block and report the number.
You can register here for landline and mobile blocking calls.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/whatiscorporatetps.html

Thanks, I'm ok now, the calls to the mobile have stopped as i did not answer any. The TPS thing is pointless sadly, home number and mobile number have been registered for years and my " preferences " are routinely ignored.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There is a scam doing the rounds in the UK. You order a download of a household manual for a small amount, a couple of quid, which is legitimate, and then you get billed an amount of 24.90 every month from a company called helpandmanuals.com

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Second call in two days, from the Energy Advisory Line.

Tired to tell me he was our local energy advisor a scam about loft insulation.

Jul 7, 2003
I had a new variant of the internet performance call the other morning.

“Good morning Sir. I am calling from BT Openreach on behalf of Sky and Virgin”

Trying to cover as many bases as possible there. I let this one go on for longer than usual and it appears that they try to get people to download remote software apps on the phone to then get access.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Phone call this week purportedly from Halifax Bank saying we had someone trying to scam our account and odd amounts taken out (there often are!!) Their number was the same as on the back of the bank card but it was the International one, they said they were in Leeds.... their number 07860 092424. All reported to Halifax.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Such a poor attempt, not sure anyone would fall for this scam.

Yes, it is difficult to believe that there are still people who fall for these "obvious" scams but sadly they do. If they didn't, the scammers wouldnt be using them.

Bear in mind that they are mailshotting these scams to many thousands at a time. They only need a couple to respond and they have made their money. I have always been convinced that if they employed someone to re-write their scams into credible English they would be far more successful. Let's just all be grateful that they don't have that level of sophistication.

There was recently a daytime tv programme with her that used to be a singer and then was on Corrie looking at people caught by (mostly) romance scams. They are a different beast and many fairly smart and sophisticated people lost many thousands to the scammers.

If you ever get a flicker of doubt and wonder "is this a scam?". It will be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here