[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My internet was supposed to be turned off yesterday. Still waiti

D

Deleted member 2719

Mine too. An Indian man called "Chris Smith" phoned to tell me.

Haha, I have a regular chat with an Asian man who wants to sell me online investments, the first day he was Fred, the next day he was John, he called me several times again that day.
I had to give him a bit of a wind up as, every time he called it sounded like he was covering his mouth, thinking it might hide his accent.
I then asked him how much return could I expect and he replied 20-30%, I replied that is not enough, to his disbelief, 'very good terms' he said Mr Boots, which I replied I could get HIM better terms, like, 50% returns on his investments.

He started laughing and forgetting to cover his accent with his mother's tights.

He now keeps ringing me from all over the country, Liverpool Bristol, London and different numbers every call.

Does anyone else want a call from him, he really is fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bottom line is never to trust any email excepting that you visit the proper pages to check and pay stuff. I always come out of the email then visit the site if I think it might be legit.

Same with phone calls. Suspect it is not for real, but go to the actual online page or ring up using your own number checks.

This information really needs to be passed on to older folk. Too many harmed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had a text today, purporting to be from EE talking about having trouble taking payment and providing a link to access my account to sort it. I forwarded the text to the text spam number (7726).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just had a text from PayPal saying to avoid suspension I need to accept their new terms and conditions with a link.

Only one slight issue, I don't have a Paypal account.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pay £9.99 for something that is free-to-air on Freeview? ???

IMG_20200919_131804.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Just found this number on my BT mobile bill.
Says it sent a MMS last Saturday from my phone, resulting in a 40p charge.
Spoke to BT, who said it came from USA, and they couldn't do anything about it.
I've not had any dealings with anything from US :shrug:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Last year Virgin charged me for three phone calls to Spain. Told them I don't know anyone in Spain. They investigated it and said someone had definitely phoned Spain from my mobile. Ended up paying over £25.00
Fffffsake!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This guy is value for money. He takes the scammers commitment to new levels and on occasions has convinced them to get tattoos bearing only fools characters as a sign that their email is genuine

https://www.419eater.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a member of that site and there are many hilarious tales of scammers getting payback.

However, many of these scammers are members of OCGs and if you are going to play with them it is imperative that you protect yourself. On the site are many "Do's & dont's" and anybody thinking of playing with scammers needs to read and understand "the rules" before joining the scambaiting hobby.

Play it right and you can get the scammers to do things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeKHCiTBzu4

(Not one of mine sadly)

www.scamwarners.com is a "sister site" for advice and help for those who have been scammed or uncertain whether an email, call etc is a scam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports