Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
DHL scam

I got this to-day from 'DHL Express Delivery Services <little_toshy@mail.bg '

Your package has been returned to the sender.
You have exceeded the delivery time.
For the return of your package.
Validate your shipping address to ensure timely delivery of packages:
View digitally signed document
Customer Care
Kaylee McMillan
Copyright © DHL International GmbH. All Rights Reserved.

Do they really think that no-one looks at their e-mail address?

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I keep getting " your washing machine warranty has expired" I'm sure it's a scam but as I always thank them politely and immediately put the phone down I don't know how it works.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I was almost the victim of a scam a couple of weeks ago selling my car on Autotrader.
Had a call from an Eastern European sounding guy. We did a bit of haggling over the phone, agreed a price and set a time. When he turned up there were four of them - big blokes.
They were all over the car pointing out issues with it. Then one of them, without asking, opens the bonnet and starts looking at the engine as the other three kept me occupied telling me how shit the car was.
Then after a test drive another one says he wants to look at the engine. He opens the top of the coolant to reveal oil and then tells me the head gasket must have gone.
After that they start trying to negotiate at a much lower price. I told them i wasn't interested. They left and sat in their car outside my house - two minutes later they called me up again and started trying to negotiate again saying they had come 60 miles and wanted to buy the car. I eventually got rid of them.
Anyway checking the car afterwards it was obvious they had added oil to the coolant. Cheeky fvckers.

Found out list night that exactly the same thing happened to a mate of mine a couple of days ago.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I usually get e-mails from HMRC claiming I have a refund ( Quit being self employed about 6 years ago ), iTunes about my recent purchase ( never bought anything to do with Apple, ever ) and yes, the fake tv licence demand. Did have one which was a tad unusual though the other day, has something purporting to be from PayPal saying that my account had "Been temporarily suspended due to an unusual transaction " they handily had put a little link in the e-mail for me to click on to resolve this...

Today I have had several calls on my landline that are a bit dodgy, I rarely use it unless I'm stuck in a long call to insurers or banks etc so no one I know calls the number except spam or conmen. I just do the 1471, and look up the number on one of the number checking web sites.

A few years ago I had a spate of scam calls purporting to be from the tax people at the IRS, usual thing with each call ramping up the threat level of being arrested etc if I didn't make a payment immediately. You could register with a number in the States which was supposed to cut down the number of these, but they did warn you that a lot of these calls originate from some dodgy offshore island which was outside their jurisdiction. I think you probably get better protection in the UK than you do in the US.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Got scam call from "Amazon" yesterday saying I'd bought something for 1000 quid but it couldn't be processed because there wasn't enough money in my account and to press some option keys.....

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Had a call from "BT", automated voice saying that my landline and broadband were about to be terminated. If I wished this termination to continue press 1 if I wished to renew my contract press 2. All said n a very demanding way, albeit clearly automated. Could scare and worry some folk. I declined their instructions as I am with sky for both landline and broadband.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I keep getting " your washing machine warranty has expired" I'm sure it's a scam but as I always thank them politely and immediately put the phone down I don't know how it works.
My mum keeps getting that one. What is supposed to be doing, as I don't see the point of the scam?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Getting scam emails now asking me to update my DD details to pay my TV licence

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was almost the victim of a scam a couple of weeks ago selling my car on Autotrader.
Had a call from an Eastern European sounding guy. We did a bit of haggling over the phone, agreed a price and set a time. When he turned up there were four of them - big blokes.
They were all over the car pointing out issues with it. Then one of them, without asking, opens the bonnet and starts looking at the engine as the other three kept me occupied telling me how shit the car was.
Then after a test drive another one says he wants to look at the engine. He opens the top of the coolant to reveal oil and then tells me the head gasket must have gone.
After that they start trying to negotiate at a much lower price. I told them i wasn't interested. They left and sat in their car outside my house - two minutes later they called me up again and started trying to negotiate again saying they had come 60 miles and wanted to buy the car. I eventually got rid of them.
Anyway checking the car afterwards it was obvious they had added oil to the coolant. Cheeky fvckers.

Found out list night that exactly the same thing happened to a mate of mine a couple of days ago.

I had a similar experience in selling a Golf 4 years ago. I dealt with a guy in Manchester, he agreed to pay full price (it was a good buy, with full VW history including a new one to sell, alloys refurbished, any bodywork issues professionally fixed).

Then he turned up with three mates. I was at home on my own, with four of them (in their twenties) in my kitchen going through the paperwork, as I‘d kept it all from the beginning. Then a test drive, I insisted on going! Finally one of them said that the cam needed replacing in x miles time. Imho a preplanned strategy. Suggesting a discount, very persistent.

The bottom line is that I stuck to the agree price and in the end he paid that. Done by faster payment and I checked online banking before handing the car over.

If repeated, I’d make sure someone was at home with me and perhaps I wouldn’t let them into my home, doing it all at the vehicle.

Not an attempted fraud, but disingenuous and a bit intimidating.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I had a similar experience in selling a Golf 4 years ago. I dealt with a guy in Manchester, he agreed to pay full price (it was a good buy, with full VW history including a new one to sell, alloys refurbished, any bodywork issues professionally fixed).

Then he turned up with three mates. I was at home on my own, with four of them (in their twenties) in my kitchen going through the paperwork, as I‘d kept it all from the beginning. Then a test drive, I insisted on going! Finally one of them said that the cam needed replacing in x miles time. Imho a preplanned strategy. Suggesting a discount, very persistent.

The bottom line is that I stuck to the agree price and in the end he paid that. Done by faster payment and I checked online banking before handing the car over.

If repeated, I’d make sure someone was at home with me and perhaps I wouldn’t let them into my home, doing it all at the vehicle.

If more than 2 people attend I would be wary anyway. I can see the sense of a couple turning up or the the potential buyer and one of his mates who knows more about cars, but 4 I would see a red flag.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011

I've since found this:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/7553229/oil-in-coolant-car-scam/

But yes think it is best to have someone else with you when you are selling a car especially if they come mob handed

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
This one turned up in my spam folder a couple of days ago . :clap:

13/08/20 09:19

From Mrs. Ali Melissa Fatima
Membership in Turkish Parliament Association
Tele: xxxxxxxxxx
My Dearest One,

Greetings to you,

Let me start by introducing myself, My name is Mrs. Ali Melissa Fatima. I have been suffering from Breast cancer disease and the doctor says that I have just a short time to live. For the past Twelve years, I have being dealing on Coal exportation, before falling ill due to the Cancer of the breast.

My late husband, Dr. Ali Bernard, a retired diplomat and one time minister of mines and Power in the republic of Turkey made a lot of money from the sales of Gold and cotton while he was a minister, but we had only one child Name Ali Mustafa, he is only 12-years.

later, my husband realized through a powerful Man, that it was evil course instituted by his brother in other to inherit his wealth, but before then it was too late, I and my husband agreed that he should remarry another wife but our Religion did not permit it, while planning this my husband’s brother heard it and they planned and killed my husband at the age of 56, he died in the month of September 2019.

Please I know this may come to you by surprise, because you did not know me, I needed your assistance that was why I write you through divine direction, it is my desire of going into relationship with you. Before his death we were both born Muslim. Now that I am very sick and according to the doctor, will not survive the sickness.The worst of it all is that I do not have any family members, expect my little Boy but he is too small to handle This.I am writing this letter now through the help of the computer beside My sick bed. . When my late husband was alive we deposited the sum of USD$30.5M (Thirty Million Five Hundred Thousand U.S.Dollars) with Finance/Bank Presently, Iam willing to instruct my Bank to transfer the said fund to you as my foreign Trustee. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to church or better still a Christian individual Or a Muslim that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct here in. I want a person or church that will use this fund to churches, orphanages, research centers and widows propagating the work of Charity and to ensure that the house of Orphanage is maintained.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the Finance/Bank. I am offering you 20% of the principal sum which amounts to US$6,100.000.00 (Six million One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) and 5% will be for any expenses that both of us may Insure in this transaction. And another 5% will go for Motherless babes home. However, you have to assure me and also be ready to go into agreement with me that you will not elope with my fund. If you agree to my terms, reply

My Regards to your Family,
Yours Faithfully,
Mrs Ali Melissa Fatima

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Getting scam emails now asking me to update my DD details to pay my TV licence

I've just got that one, as I'm over 75 yo I'm expecting contact about my TV license, fortunately this e-mail quotes the number of my current license and it's incorrect. Anyone else over 75 yo we are going to be contacted but we'll need to be careful.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Text message

You have a refund overdue please visit the link......

The link starts govuk.rebates............. rather than gov.uk

And I have no DVLA rebates due

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
find any manual . com

Be careful when ordering anything from here.
A relative (genuine) ordered something for 95p, but then you're unwittingly signing for a monthly subscription (wasn't told), where amounts of £24.95 start disappearing from your account :nono:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
My wife has just had a 'download the NHS Track & Trace App' push notification on her smart phone.

The only trouble is, that the app is still only for use by NHS volunteers, or IOW and Newham residents, as you require a unique to code to sign up.

Just wonder what would have been stolen if she had downloaded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here