The Sam Baldock 'Saga'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Time for Tony to play poker. Bristol City, i'm sure, will not want him to run down his contract. They are just trying to squeeze every penny out of us. Give them a final offer, or we are moving on.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I think Baldock will leave them this transfer window. They might say they want to hang on to him but the longer they keep him, the less money they'll get as he's into the last year of his contract.

Whether that'll be us remains to be seen.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Something Cotterill has seemingly passed over is whether or not it's in the interest of the PLAYER to stay when a club in a higher division has made a bid. As far as I can see, Baldock has been very respectful to his club, stating he hasn't asked to go anywhere or that he deserves to play at a higher level. However, it's risky for Bristol City to assume this is true. Privately, Baldock may happily trade his club loyalty for a hike in wages, an increase in his stock value and the opportunity to again play in the Championship.

It's for this reason, I believe the club was spot-on in selling Bridcutt, Ulloa and Buckley. All had touted a move to the Premier League. It's unlikely the values of Bridcutt, Barnes, Ulloa - or Baldock for that matter, would have ever increased at their respective clubs. There's also the danger that players feel their opportunity has passed - and resent the club for fending off any bids (see Bridcutt, Buckley).

Bristol City would do well to consider their defensive stance very carefully...or that £1.5m valuation may soon become £500,000 etc

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Cotterill is saying all the right things to keep the fans onside. As has Baldock.

But as we have found out, if a better opportunity presents itself then the player is almost certain to move.

Whether it is to us or another club remains to be seen.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Something Cotterill has seemingly passed over is whether or not it's in the interest of the PLAYER to stay when a club in a higher division has made a bid. As far as I can see, Baldock has been very respectful to his club, stating he hasn't asked to go anywhere or that he deserves to play at a higher level. However, it's risky for Bristol City to assume this is true. Privately, Baldock may happily trade his club loyalty for a hike in wages, an increase in his stock value and the opportunity to again play in the Championship.

It's for this reason, I believe the club was spot-on in selling Bridcutt, Ulloa and Buckley. All had touted a move to the Premier League. It's unlikely the values of Bridcutt, Barnes, Ulloa - or Baldock for that matter, would have ever increased at their respective clubs. There's also the danger that players feel their opportunity has passed - and resent the club for fending off any bids (see Bridcutt, Buckley).

Bristol City would do well to consider their defensive stance very carefully...or that £1.5m valuation may soon become £500,000 etc

I'm sure it has always gone on in football - but now seems more common for players to engineer a move by not giving their best for the current employer. This week Buckley admitted that he let it affect his game. I think there was an earlier post suggesting that since the transfer interest Baldock's demeanour on the pitch had appeared questionable, in a Buckley-esque below par fashion?

It is interesting to contrast how players react to other Clubs showing interest in them. I would suggest that Ulloa and Elliott Bennett both acted professionally, with dignity and respect towards the Albion and did not conspicuously agitate for a transfer. They were allowed to move on after giving their best for the Albion.

However Bridcutt and Buckley both allowed the interest to affect their form - with hindsight they were unprofessional in not giving 100% for the Albion. I think many observers would suspect Poyet had whispered in their ear when he departed and they allowed this to dent their enthusiasm, especially when the Albion did not immediately roll over. Maybe the players agents also had a hand in this. I suspected that Poyet might have tried it on with Ulloa too but clearly that did not come to anything.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
I think Steve Cotterill is obsessed with us. I don't there is a day that passes with out him mentioning us.

[yt]JUclVSZZiCI[/yt]

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I think Steve Cotterill is obsessed with us. I don't there is a day that passes with out him mentioning us.

[yt]JUclVSZZiCI[/yt]

Someone needs to tell Mr Cotterill, that its not Sami who is actually bidding for his striker, it is our recruitment team lead by Mr. Burke

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
However Bridcutt and Buckley both allowed the interest to affect their form - with hindsight they were unprofessional in not giving 100% for the Albion. I think many observers would suspect Poyet had whispered in their ear when he departed and they allowed this to dent their enthusiasm, especially when the Albion did not immediately roll over. Maybe the players agents also had a hand in this. I suspected that Poyet might have tried it on with Ulloa too but clearly that did not come to anything.

I've always assumed this whispering went on BEFORE Poyet went and it's one of the reasons he was suspended before getting the boot.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I'm sure it has always gone on in football - but now seems more common for players to engineer a move by not giving their best for the current employer. This week Buckley admitted that he let it affect his game. I think there was an earlier post suggesting that since the transfer interest Baldock's demeanour on the pitch had appeared questionable, in a Buckley-esque below par fashion?

It is interesting to contrast how players react to other Clubs showing interest in them. I would suggest that Ulloa and Elliott Bennett both acted professionally, with dignity and respect towards the Albion and did not conspicuously agitate for a transfer. They were allowed to move on after giving their best for the Albion.

Agree. The way Ulloa handled his move to Leicester should be applauded. Nothing to suggest he was trying to pressurise the club into accepting a fee - or that he was bored of playing in the lowly old Championship. Albion fans should remember him in the way they remember Elliott Bennett - with affection and admiration.

Buckley, on the other hand, makes my blood boil. His comments were all the more crass in the context of his protracted injury saga. The vanishing act soon become one great vanity act. Pleased to see the back of him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He's prob ballsh1tting to get us to up our bid.

Rather just wait until January and take him for around 750K-1M. Similar strike rate to Barnes. Similar age too.

- 178 games, 66 goals in league one, 2.69 games per goal (Baldock).
- 21 games, 5 goals in the championship, 4.2 games per goal (Baldock).

- 50 games, 22 goals in league one, 2.27 games per goal (Barnes).
- 142 games (about 33% are sub), 29 goals, 4.89 games per goal (Barnes).

Barnes also played a lot of championship games on the wing.

I can't see us being willing to pay more than £1M now or £300k in January.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I've always assumed this whispering went on BEFORE Poyet went and it's one of the reasons he was suspended before getting the boot.

Before and during, especially with Briductt. Being as they share the same agent, or at least did during his transfer saga. I wonder if Bridcutt and Buckley share the same agent as well? its an easy route in, if that's the case....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I'm not sure money is that much of an issue to them, hence they're holding out so far. Their chairman is pretty flush and if you listen to many City fans, they have no financial worries at all now their stadium is finally being rebuilt. I suspect it's a case of they flog him now and hang out for £4m, or they get to keep a striker who they think will fire them to promotion this season, which will be worth loads anyway. They're in a sort of win-win position.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm not sure money is that much of an issue to them, hence they're holding out so far. Their chairman is pretty flush and if you listen to many City fans, they have no financial worries at all now their stadium is finally being rebuilt. I suspect it's a case of they flog him now and hang out for £4m, or they get to keep a striker who they think will fire them to promotion this season, which will be worth loads anyway. They're in a sort of win-win position.

Correct if the player doesn't want the move, is happy to stay and hence is motivated. If not then it's a losing hand I would have thought.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suspect it's a case of they flog him now and hang out for £4m, or they get to keep a striker who they think will fire them to promotion this season, which will be worth loads anyway. They're in a sort of win-win position.
Do they really think he'll be firing them to promotion? I wouldn't have thought so.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I've had a feeling all summer that this one isn't going to happen.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I'd be very disappointed if we paid anything over £1m for Baldock, seeing as they've just paid a reported £800k for Agard who only scored a couple of goals less than Baldock in league 1 last season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'd be very disappointed if we paid anything over £1m for Baldock, seeing as they've just paid a reported £800k for Agard who only scored a couple of goals less than Baldock in league 1 last season.

Agard looked the better bet to me. Not seen either of them play though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports