Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sad Demise Of The F A Cup...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Woke up this morning a little bit sad where today's match was concerned. I, like many, have chosen now to make other arrangements. I've tried to rally myself for interest in this cup that I have so many great memories of- but it's finally gone. It's all about the league now.

The clincher was an entry I saw in Twitter by an Albion fan who said he wanted us to lose. I would never wish that, but it seems that my interest in the cup feels like I'm hanging around on the dance floor at the last dregs of a great club night out when everyone has gone home.

The article I wrote in the first entry still rings true, but now I accept that time has moved on and the trophy needs something to bring it to life again. But what can be done ?

There is too much money at stake in the league. Teams field weakened teams because the financial rewards are greater in the league and can make more difference to the clubs future than a cup run (promotion or surviving in a certain league)

Lose that financial aspect and the cup would gain a lot of meaning again as team will be less inclined to rest players, saving them for league games and put out their strongest XI and try to win and progress but a cup run is no longer a priority to a lot of teams in the higher divisions

The smallest clubs in the competition don't have the same pressure regarding income from league matches and therefore a cup run can make a lot of difference to them and their future, helping them to pay for improvements in their squads or ground and potentially helping the club to progress up the football pyramid that wouldn't be possible if they were to rely on their league income instead

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The FA makes millions every year. People at the top line their own pockets and they spunk money against the wall.

Instead of banging on about it being the best cup competition in the world they need to make it the best cup competition in the world.

So instead of harping on about past FA Cup shocks in years gone by and patting themselves on the back for what it used to be they should drag the competition into ''Modernity''

They need to make it worthwhile for the top clubs to take it seriously. To do that they need to make the rewards for qualifying for the next round worthwhile. They need to make it costly to get knocked out and the only way you do that is to raise massively the amounts they pay each club from the 4th round onwards.

So instead of wasting money elsewhere

1. Raise the prize money massively each round
2. Go out and attract bigger Sponsors willing to pay more
3. Modernise the format to a no replay situation. One game going to Penalties directly after 90 minutes
4. And finally, make it compulsory that every team has an under 20 player who has come through the Youth Ranks in the starting 11 for fans to be curious to see one of their own to keep an eye out for the future

Points 1 & 2 are chicken and egg scenarios. You won't get the bigger Sponsors until you interest the big clubs again so the FA needs to speculate to accumulate by really raising the prize money for qualification from each round.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The FA makes millions every year. People at the top line their own pockets and they spunk money against the wall.

Instead of banging on about it being the best cup competition in the world they need to make it the best cup competition in the world.

So instead of harping on about past FA Cup shocks in years gone by and patting themselves on the back for what it used to be they should drag the competition into ''Modernity''

They need to make it worthwhile for the top clubs to take it seriously. To do that they need to make the rewards for qualifying for the next round worthwhile. They need to make it costly to get knocked out and the only way you do that is to raise massively the amounts they pay each club from the 4th round onwards.

3. Modernise the format to a no replay situation. One game going to Penalties directly after 90 minutes
4. And finally, make it compulsory that every team has an under 20 player who has come through the Youth Ranks in the starting 11 for fans to be curious to see one of their own to keep an eye out for the future

Points 1 & 2 are chicken and egg scenarios. You won't get the bigger Sponsors until you interest the big clubs again so the FA needs to speculate to accumulate by really raising the prize money for qualification from each round.

And you think those wa*****s in the FA understand football or business? They're clueless selfish, outdated, 'old boy network' morons.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
And you think those wa*****s in the FA understand football or business? They're clueless selfish, outdated, 'old boy network' morons.

Therein lies the problem. They are stuck in the past and rely on goodwill as opposed to a good product

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think there is an argument to make it a mid week Cup, like the league cup - or play it as one of the festive games.

The league is much more important, no matter what the FA do, they won't change this.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

They signed the biggest tv deal in FA Cup history worth £1.7bln which should help raise prize money and in turn make it a more attractive proposition.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They signed the biggest tv deal in FA Cup history worth £1.7bln which should help raise prize money and in turn make it a more attractive proposition.

Lets see if it goes on increasing Prize Money enough to entice interest back by clubs because that's the only thing that will peak teams interest

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The magic of the cup was always about the minnow at home and now it's all about big clubs at home against the minnow on the box....Pathetic !!!!

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I would like the 4th place ,champion league place in the premiership play off with the FA cup winners for that 4th spot .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It just is what it is now. International football is going the same way too.

We had a good family day out whilst the Albion squad got a decent workout, so even in diminished form the FA Cup still serves a purpose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I would like the 4th place ,champion league place in the premiership play off with the FA cup winners for that 4th spot .

Or just go the whole hog and give the FA Cup winners the Champions League spot rather than give it to 4th place in the Premier League.

I've heard this argument made quite a few times and I tend to agree with it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think there is an argument to make it a mid week Cup, like the league cup - or play it as one of the festive games.

The league is much more important, no matter what the FA do, they won't change this.

I'd scrap all the other cups and just have the FA Cup. Put a Champions League place up for grabs and everyone will soon pay it more respect.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Love going to the early rounds matches at the non-league sides as for them winning is an essential financial lifeline. Those clubs/players really want to win and it is great to watch.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
One of the saddest things about the diminished stature of the FA Cup these days is listening to BBC television and Radio 5 Live presenters and commentators desperately trying to convince their audience (and themselves) that the 'magic of the cup' still exists - even though anyone who knows anything about football knows the magic evaporated many years ago.

It's sad that the FA Cup has become completely emasculated and devoid of all romance - but sadder still that the BBC try to pretend otherwise and take us all for idiots who can't recognise what is plain for all to see. Just call it for it is; yes, let's watch the games but don't pretend the Cup has anything like the significance it used to have.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Try telling Millwall this season that the magic is dead, or even Stourbridge - despite their loss - yes it's unlikely that a Preston or an us is going to beat an Arsenal or a Man U but as it always was. The winter weather and some dodgy pitches had much more to do with most of the shocks than you'd think and certainly standards there have universally risen across all leagues/levels to make it much more about the individual skill and or fitness levels of the respective teams to influence the outcome of matches.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Try telling Millwall this season that the magic is dead, or even Stourbridge - despite their loss - yes it's unlikely that a Preston or an us is going to beat an Arsenal or a Man U but as it always was. The winter weather and some dodgy pitches had much more to do with most of the shocks than you'd think and certainly standards there have universally risen across all leagues/levels to make it much more about the individual skill and or fitness levels of the respective teams to influence the outcome of matches.

Millwall played Bournemouth who made 11 (eleven) changes from their last league fixture. That's how seriously they took the game today. That's is why the magic is dead, for me, at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here