Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sad Demise Of The F A Cup...

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Give the winners a place in the Champions' League. That's the only way I can see it returning to its former importance for Premier League sides (as much as it pains me to say it).

For lower division sides it's not lost its appeal, obviously.

Unfortunately I can't see it happening, as the money men won't see the value in a lower division side competing in the Champions' League, should the unlikely happen. The elitist few want that all to themselves.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
The competition is finished in its current format.
It should be a mid-week only competition with no replays.
The games are then decided on the night with penalties if the game finishes level, no extra time.
Bigger prize money for the smaller clubs as that is all they want out of the competition.

Am looking forward to the Championship match against Ipswich on Jan 24th, but have only just realised this match will not go ahead if either club progresses tomorrow.
Personally I am not interested in the cup until the Final.
As tonight's attendance at Cardiff shows (4,194) I am in the majority...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Speaking of the FA Cup, but slightly off topic, does anyone remember this bad boy of a board game?
pic1235618_md.jpg
I'm pretty sure I still have that up in the loft

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
The competition is finished in its current format.
It should be a mid-week only competition with no replays.
The games are then decided on the night with penalties if the game finishes level, no extra time.
Bigger prize money for the smaller clubs as that is all they want out of the competition.

Am looking forward to the Championship match against Ipswich on Jan 24th, but have only just realised this match will not go ahead if either club progresses tomorrow.
Personally I am not interested in the cup until the Final.
As tonight's attendance at Cardiff shows (4,194) I am in the majority...

Is that not just the League Cup? Or was that the joke?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Give the winners a place in the Champions' League. That's the only way I can see it returning to its former importance for Premier League sides (as much as it pains me to say it).

For lower division sides it's not lost its appeal, obviously.

Unfortunately I can't see it happening, as the money men won't see the value in a lower division side competing in the Champions' League, should the unlikely happen. The elitist few want that all to themselves.

People say that the big clubs don't take it seriously, but it's the big clubs that always win it - Wigan aside

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
FA Cup is a no risk, no bother, fun day out; doubly-so when it's a local game, with a terrace, and pubs galore.

Forget everyone else and their ambition - tomorrow is our day; the fans.

Beeeeeeeeeer!!!

Win, lose or draw, tomorrow is going to be a ring of fire supreme.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People say that the big clubs don't take it seriously, but it's the big clubs that always win it - Wigan aside

I think that's more of a reflection of the strength of their squads than anything else.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The crowd at last night's Cardiff match suggest the fans aren't feeling "the magic of the cup".

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

I'm not saying the big clubs don't take it seriously, but I don't think there's any doubt that it has lost some of it's glamour and importance within the last 15 years (or since the introduction of the lucrative Premier League and CL).

If Premier League clubs are fighting for survival or a place in Europe (about 2/3 of the league), the FA Cup plays second fiddle. The only route I see to restoring it's appeal to these clubs is to offer a CL place to the winners, along with the financial reward that would bring.

The FA Cup used to be on a par with the domestic league, and I think it's still the greatest domestic cup competition in the world, but it seems to have lost some of it's appeal to many clubs and, as a result, their fans. At least until the latter stages of the competition, anyway.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm not saying the big clubs don't take it seriously, but I don't think there's any doubt that it has lost some of it's glamour and importance within the last 15 years (or since the introduction of the lucrative Premier League and CL).

If Premier League clubs are fighting for survival or a place in Europe (about 2/3 of the league), the FA Cup plays second fiddle. The only route I see to restoring it's appeal to these clubs is to offer a CL place to the winners, along with the financial reward that would bring.

The FA Cup used to be on a par with the domestic league, and I think it's still the greatest domestic cup competition in the world, but it seems to have lost some of it's appeal to many clubs and, as a result, their fans. At least until the latter stages of the competition, anyway.

Bournemouth have made 8 changes today, it's not just PL clubs.

As I said earlier offering up a CL won't actually matter as a top 4 side always wins it

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Woke up this morning a little bit sad where today's match was concerned. I, like many, have chosen now to make other arrangements. I've tried to rally myself for interest in this cup that I have so many great memories of- but it's finally gone. It's all about the league now.

The clincher was an entry I saw in Twitter by an Albion fan who said he wanted us to lose. I would never wish that, but it seems that my interest in the cup feels like I'm hanging around on the dance floor at the last dregs of a great club night out when everyone has gone home.

The article I wrote in the first entry still rings true, but now I accept that time has moved on and the trophy needs something to bring it to life again. But what can be done ?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
FA Cup is a waste of time - and is not even worth the cash any more. Low crowds, second teams and
boring matches.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Agreed it has been downgraded in its esteem but at least some small clubs might get some nice revenue from it and for them it might be a matter of survival.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here