Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Relegation Pick N Mix: Players To Sign

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cornet available for around 17 million.

“Burnley and Ivory Coast forward Maxwel Cornet, 25, is attracting huge interest after a £17.5m clause in his contract was triggered by the club's relegation to the Championship. West Ham are interested as David Moyes looks to bolster his squad ahead of another European campaign while Newcastle, Brighton, Everton, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Leicester and Fulham have also contacted Cornet's representatives. (90min)”

Indeed. Clearly everyone is interested outside the top six. Too much competition for us I’d say, he’d surely not fit into our salary structure with teams like Everton and Newcastle interested.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That Normann fellow at Norwich started the season very well - could be a freebie, as presumably his contract in Russia will be null and void? Could do a job?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Indeed. Clearly everyone is interested outside the top six. Too much competition for us I’d say, he’d surely not fit into our salary structure with teams like Everton and Newcastle interested.

He’d be a welcome addition. He’s on 40k a week at Burnley and if Cucu leaves and with season we’ve had I think we could actually sell the idea of him joining us relatively easily.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
“Burnley and Ivory Coast forward Maxwel Cornet, 25, is attracting huge interest after a £17.5m clause in his contract was triggered by the club's relegation to the Championship. West Ham are interested as David Moyes looks to bolster his squad ahead of another European campaign while Newcastle, Brighton, Everton, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Leicester and Fulham have also contacted Cornet's representatives. (90min)”

Not a bad position to be in for him.

Presumably he's had enough of fighting relegation so we can write off Fulham and Everton...

If he passes the no dickheads test we can write off Palace...

If he has a moral compass and/or dislikes smug people we can write off Newcatle...

Rodgers has run out of steam at Leicester, plus they have Harvey Barnes, so we can write off Leicester...

Wolves are on a downward spiral and score even less goals than us so we can write them off...

West Ham play in claret and blue like Burnley so that will give him nightmares and flashbacks to being relegated so we can write the hammers off...

We are an upwardly mobile club, playing fantastic football, with a magnificent manager, fabulous fans and a one way ticket to the champions league group stage 23/24.

He's ours if we want him.:thumbsup:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

if we can't compete for these types of players nowadays then we might as well pack up and go home. we could match any worthwhile deal for him, if someone wants to pay massively over the odds for him then that's on them, but that's about us choosing not to compete, as opposed to not being able to. not to say we'll sign him, as west ham is probably his most likely destination but them, palace and newcastle (who've been linked with half the league) are probably the only clubs in a position to pay massively over the odds, everton certainly aren't and we're at least as an attractive proposition as every other club on that list I haven't mentioned.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I only think we'll be interested in Cornet if Cucurella leaves.

Other than that I doubt any of the relegation teams have players we want.

Our model is now to directly replace 1st team departures if in a position where we have no players coming through already at sufficient standard, or to buy unfinished articles with massive promise for future seasons.

Last edited:

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I only think we'll be interested in Cornet if Cucurella leaves.

Other than that I doubt any of the relegation teams have players we want.

Our model is now to directly replace 1st team departures if in a position where we have no players coming through already at sufficient standard, or to buy unfinished articles with massive promise for future seasons.

Cornet is a striker not a LB so why would he replace Cucurella?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Cornet is a striker not a LB so why would he replace Cucurella?
2020/21:

23 games left back
6 games left midfield
4 games left winger
1 game centre forward
1 game right winger

2021/22 :

12 games centre forward
7 games left midfield
6 games left winger
1 game right midfield
1 game second striker
1 game left back

Career :

61 games left winger
54 games right winger
33 games centre forward
33 games left back
24 games left midfield
16 games right midfield
1 game second striker

^ is why he'd be a candidate to replace Cucurella, and if anything is even more versatile.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He isn’t a striker, he’s always played wing/full back or winger. He’d be a perfect Potter signing due the fact he could play in several positions.

He’d do what Trossard has been doing.

Left wing back with out the ball then sneaking into the centre (and scoring more than Tross) when we gained possession.

Meanwhile, Cucu would be on the left side of a back 3 turning wing back when we had the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here