Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Penalty Takers - Anyone else suprised....

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Pirlo's Penalty:bowdown:

When he took that I actually said aloud: "NO, you are NOT allowed to be that calm."
Imagine if Hart hadn't moved and instead of saving it had volleyed it away? FLAIR.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Cole has scored penalties in shoot outs before though. If I'm honest, I always backed him to score, as he seems a little more clinical than most.

I didn't fancy Rooney (wrong), and I think the entire country was hoping Young wouldn't be stepping up, give how badly he played all tournament.

When he stepped up i said "oh well he's a bit of a **** so he'll miss". Lo and behold.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Risk missing the target but do not give the keeper a chance.

Young did not give the 'keeper a chance with his penalty. Buffon would have to be Mr Tickle to reach his effort orbit bound effort :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's irrelevant that Cole's was on target,.

Getting them on target is not relevant? I think you'll find it is.

but in my opinion a penalty where you stop in the run up, don't get much power and don't put it near the corner is as bad as a penalty that hits the bar..

So by your definition Diamante's penalty was as bad as Young's?

Cole gave the keeper a great chance of saving his whereas Young didn't.

You are right. Young gave the keeper no chance of saving it. Terrific.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A Sunday paper analysed Buffon on penalties and came to the conclusion that he always throws himself either to the left or right on the ground at the post so the obvious place to hit a penalty against him was about head height in either corner. If they can do this why cant the England management team.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Getting them on target is not relevant? I think you'll find it is.

Just because it was on target it doesn't mean it was a good penalty.

So by your definition Diamante's penalty was as bad as Young's?

Not exactly. Obviously he scored his but they were both poor.

You are right. Young gave the keeper no chance of saving it. Terrific.

I maintain that Young's was closer to being a good penalty.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Cole's penalty wasn't the same as Diamanti's, they may have been in the same general region of the goal but Cole telegraphed where he was going to put it, so it wasn't a 50-50 guess which way it's going, more of a "I'd better dive left where he's going to shoot".

Neither looked remotely like they would score, neither was a good penalty. Surprising in the case of both.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
525855_10150919070135765_337897384_n.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Cole has scored penalties in shoot outs before though. If I'm honest, I always backed him to score, as he seems a little more clinical than most.

I didn't fancy Rooney (wrong), and I think the entire country was hoping Young wouldn't be stepping up, give how badly he played all tournament.

as cole did score in the high profile CL final, i was just suprised he went the same way. As he stepped up I was certain Buffon would dive that way.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Hart took penalties for the under 21's. Cole's was weak and no where near far enough to the side. Young's at least he gave it some power..

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe we should stand down Ashley Barnes as penalty-taker as a precaution? Make him re-sit his penalty-taking exam or something, just to be on the safe side.

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
Yes its all about hitting the target so in that sense coles was a million times better. A lot more conviction/confidence from youngs though, he leathered it and was 6 inches short of perfection. Coles was struck with hardly any pace and no conviction, suprisingly, as he has a good shoot out record and is uber confident on the pitch. Personally, if i had to choose which way i was going to miss, i would take youngs all or nothing pen every time. That is why i think youngs penalty was 'better' although it wasnt....sort of.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here