Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Penalty Takers - Anyone else suprised....

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
...with who stepped up to take them?

I know when it comes to the crunch its often said the line up is decided by who fancies them - but it that right?

Young had played poorly, but as an offensive player I would kind of hope he knows where the goal is...went for power over placement and stuck it 6 inches too high - so very close to scoring.

Cole is a different matter for me. He had a great tournament in my view but this is a guy who has never scored for his country - and we let him take a penalty. The end result was a nervy side foot that was poorly placed to far in from the post.

I would rather see more offensively-minded players stepping up. If we want a defender to take one Glen Johnson would have been a better bet for me. Coles scored 6 club goals in 175 appearances - Johnson's scored the same in 74 games for Liverpool. He naturally drives in from the wing and scores some great shots for club.

Not sure who our 5th taker was - but I hope it would have been Carroll - when we needed a goal he could have smashed one it with his left.

I appreciate the mental aspect comes into taking pens but if you start with someone who scores more goals to begin with you have to be increasing your chances of scoring the penalty surely?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cole has scored penalties in shoot outs before though. If I'm honest, I always backed him to score, as he seems a little more clinical than most.

I didn't fancy Rooney (wrong), and I think the entire country was hoping Young wouldn't be stepping up, give how badly he played all tournament.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cole has scored penalties in shoot outs before though. If I'm honest, I always backed him to score, as he seems a little more clinical than most.

I didn't fancy Rooney (wrong), and I think the entire country was hoping Young wouldn't be stepping up, give how badly he played all tournament.

Entirely this. Cole is pretty reliable. Scored in the CL final shoot out a few weeks back.

At least, unlike Young, he hit the target. Not much difference between Cole's miss and Diamante's winner. Just down to which way the keepers went.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
There was not a chance in hell Young was going to score - but fair play for stepping up to take one. I think he's normally a terrific player, but in the tournment he looked lightweight, nervous and lacking confidence. I would probably expect Cole to score, but we didn't deserve to win, so wasn't surprised.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Cole has scored in shootouts for England before. Would have surprised me if Terry was the 5th

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I was actually surprised Joe Hart didn't take one. He's an excellent penalty taker and certainly has confidence, something I don't think all of the outfield players had.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
It's especially annoying that Cole missed as he scored an excellent penalty in the Champions League final.

At least, unlike Young, he hit the target. Not much difference between Cole's miss and Diamante's winner. Just down to which way the keepers went.

I actually think Cole's penalty was worse than Young's. If Young's was a few inches lower it would have been brilliant whereas Cole's was very savable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's especially annoying that Cole missed as he scored an excellent penalty in the Champions League final.

I actually think Cole's penalty was worse than Young's. If Young's was a few inches lower it would have been brilliant whereas Cole's was very savable.
I'd say the opposite. Cole made the keeper save it, hit it low and hard. But the keeper guessed right and the penalty was too close to Buffon. Young just lashed it. The golden rule should always be to get it on target.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I just don't get the logic with some players taking pens. There are certain areas of that goal which if you hit, you WILL score. Anywhere above chest height usually will do. But practice hitting the top corners and you minimise your chances of missing. Hitting it low is always a risk as that's where the keeper has a chance.

Statistically I'd say (guessing) the majority of missed penalties are saved low and slightly off centre. Therefore DO NOT ever aim there. I have far more sympathy with Young who did the right thing IMO. Risk missing the target but do not give the keeper a chance.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I imagine JT would have been 5th. Usually takes them in England shoot outs. I know he had the "slip up" against Barca in CL but he would have been my 5th taker. Agree entirely about Young and VERY surprised Cole didnt bury it.

Oct 25, 2003
i heard (may be wrong) that hart was going to take the 5th

as for cole, he REGULARLY scores in shoot outs, i was really surprised that he fluffed it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That's a BIZARRE conclusion.

If Cole hit that EXACT same penalty 100 times, against the best keeper in the world, it would go in 50 times, when the keeper guesses wrong.

If Young hit his EXACT same penalty 100 times, against a 4 year old girl, it misses 100 times. Hit. The . Bloody. Target.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I just don't get the logic with some players taking pens. There are certain areas of that goal which if you hit, you WILL score. Anywhere above chest height usually will do. But practice hitting the top corners and you minimise your chances of missing. Hitting it low is always a risk as that's where the keeper has a chance.

Statistically I'd say (guessing) the majority of missed penalties are saved low and slightly off centre. Therefore DO NOT ever aim there. I have far more sympathy with Young who did the right thing IMO. Risk missing the target but do not give the keeper a chance.

You're probably right but, for the exception that proves the rule, Gordon Banks saved a pen from Geoff Hurst in, I think a league Cup semi or final when Hurstie blasted it at the top corner and Banksie got a strong hand to it. I'm sure someone on here will know the details better than me. We used to reckon that if you hit them low and hard the keeper couldn't get down to them but that was before keepers were allowed to move ahead of the ball being struck.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

You are describing a different penalty there though, a penalty he didn't take. His wasn't that little bit lower, it struck the bar, thereby a miss without any intervention required whatsoever. Cole's had to be saved. The fact that it was, because teh keeper guessed teh right way, is unfortunate, but on target in a shoot-out has to be a better penalty than smacking the woodwork.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
You are describing a different penalty there though, a penalty he didn't take. His wasn't that little bit lower, it struck the bar, thereby a miss without any intervention required whatsoever. Cole's had to be saved. The fact that it was, because teh keeper guessed teh right way, is unfortunate, but on target in a shoot-out has to be a better penalty than smacking the woodwork.

That's a BIZARRE conclusion.

If Cole hit that EXACT same penalty 100 times, against the best keeper in the world, it would go in 50 times, when the keeper guesses wrong.

If Young hit his EXACT same penalty 100 times, against a 4 year old girl, it misses 100 times. Hit. The . Bloody. Target.

It's irrelevant that Cole's was on target, it was a poor penalty and saved. They were both poor penalties but in my opinion a penalty where you stop in the run up, don't get much power and don't put it near the corner is as bad as a penalty that hits the bar. If the Keeper goes the wrong way, it's still a bad penalty. Cole gave the keeper a great chance of saving his whereas Young didn't.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's irrelevant that Cole's was on target, it was a poor penalty and saved. They were both poor penalties but in my opinion a penalty where you stop in the run up, don't get much power and don't put it near the corner is as bad as a penalty that hits the bar. If the Keeper goes the wrong way, it's still a bad penalty. Cole gave the keeper a great chance of saving his whereas Young didn't.

All true about Coles penalty, but one that misses the target has to be worse!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here