Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Palace chairman's HAIR- a new NSC art project?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Fair play to Palace. Credit where it is due. We all laugh at their over the top claims regarding the ability of their young players, but they have a history of actually getting people to believe the hype. These stats are just one example of that. They suggest (prove?) that Zaha is a pretty average young Championship player, but such is the constant stream of hype from within Palace and their fans, that most would have guessed that he'd feature in the top 10, and he will ultimately leave the club for 3 or 4 times his true value. I'm quite impressed to be honest.

I'm sure the palace fella is furiously typing as we speak the 82 reasons why the players ahead of Winnie are in their incorrect positions.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i fink zaha is the best in the leage and you are deluded if yu say otherwise. you are alll just liverpool fans anyway and 2nd season sydrum and murrey 1-3 hhhahaha.

You completely missed out a "gay" quip , other then that superb :D

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
38b_Dani%27s_+Male+Gypsy+Blue+W_Boots.jpg

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Jesus wept, learn to use quotes man.

No, i'm not sad enough to quote every little line like you, takes to long. Sad enough to talk to you, maybe, but not sad enough to quote like you

We had our share of results against some of the bigger teams.

Did you? I think out of the top 3 last year you only beat Saints once and you may even of not beaten any of the other sides that made the play offs? Enlighten me

Firstly, teams don't raise their game equally for derbies, they're regarded as one offs, like a cup game. Secondly, while you deserved your victory at the Amex, you didn't outclass us. You were losing until 10 minutes to go, and won as our team ran out of steam on the day. Thirdly, the gap last year was 10 points. I'm not making it out to be any different. Since then we've lost Noone and brought in 4/5 to our starting 11, plus plenty more on the bench. Of course both teams do, they both know what it means. So basiclly your argument is that we were up for it and you lot couldn't be bothered so sprit and desire won us the match. Nah, if were honest our class told on the night, it wasn't even close despite our late goals, they were always coming. The reason we couldn't continue that throughout the season is because our squad wasn't quite big enough to handle both league and cup. This year its a lot stronger and the starting X1 even better than last year.

We had to play Leeds 48 hours after playing Liverpool. Fair enough but you didn't rest either 50% of your first choice side, or in one case 100%, in 2 or 3 other games like us

I am sorry, you are so so wrong you have no idea. Firstly, you say 6,000 18 months ago FACT - that's incorrect (despite your shouting). Try posting to a link showing a game in March/April 2010 where we only got 6,000. In fact, try posting a link to any game where we only got 6,000 that season. Secondly, I said number of fans at matches - that's now, not 18 months ago. I'm sorry 2 years ago, like it makes any difference. Point is, fickle support. Your new fans even have to have the words to your songs put up on the big screen as 75% don't know the lines :eek: How does it honestly feel when you turn to the bloke on your right and deep down in your heart you know he most likley supports Chelsea or started following you in 2011?

Thirdly, you had under 10k against Nottingham Forest in the Championship including away fans (no hardcore 12k), and you're comparing that to League 1. As is said. a few years ago we were getting 18,000 and that is easily returnable if the football that we have played in the last 2 home games stays the same. I have no reason to doubt it will Fourthly, Selhurst is (no pun intended) a palace compared to the Withdean. You really have no idea what it was like to play there week in week out. Selhurst is no worse than the Goldstone was (and we loved that). It's your home, it's a football stadium, it has a roof, it has fans next to the pitch. The Withdean was none of those, it was bloody awful. To suggest you'd always sell out the Withdean in League 2 and 1 just shows your complete lack of understanding. We would sell out 8000 easily and you know it

I'm not saying you're a disgrace. You asked why we feel superior, and one of the reasons on the list was that we get more fans every game. You're having to try and compare to a different league, a different stadium and a team worth peanuts.

I don't think he's pumping more money in though is he. He's made an interest free loan for the infrastructure, and he's running the club on a break even basis. We have nothing to suggest he'll be like Simon, so right now we'd have to feel pretty good about it. To me, it seems like he's going for broke. No way would players like Lopez, Kuszack and Vincente be on even medium wages. £2.5 million on one player (CMS) is a hell of a lot of money also for a team in the Championship

Firstly, we're not talking about 3 picks, we're talking about a starting 11 at least. Secondly, no they wouldn't. Again, just your opinion, there's no way that we can find that out without doing a poll on a neatural football forum. I'll leave that to you if you really can be bothered cause i can't

That's exactly what I said! For the last 2 games your fans have liked the style you've played. That still doesn't compare to the way we feel about how Gus has set us up to play for the last few years. Freedman inherited a team low on confidence, lacking quality and still suffering from the effects of admin. He had to play a defensive style for the first 2 years just to survive in this league. Gus inherited a team near the bottom also but he had obvious quality (Murrey, Bennett to name 2) It was easier for him to play a passing style as you he already had good players

Because it was on a list someone else typed as to why we feel superior. This season is very early still, but if you ask fans, the ones nearer the top will feel superior to those lower down. You can't judge a table until at least 15 games have been played, most football fans know that deep down.

Just like players and performances on the field, coaching staff and reputations change. If you think nothing can ever change you're deluded. I've stated why i don't think it will change, you have just stated "all things change in the end" Not a very strong point Trig, even for you

WTF? Where did I say we wouldn't have him? Where did I say he was shit? Have you even read what I wrote?

No, last year we said the same about Buckley. He scored two on his debut, and we loved him whenever he could play. And Lua Lua isn't average in this league. Lua Lua isn't average, he's worse than that. Headless chicken springs to mind

The fact that Zaha is so young would have helped him with the vote. Also, he wasn't injured for a chunk of the season where players would be affecting the result. Buckley is hardly old is he!

Well he wasn't was he. That was a vote by fans, not a vote by a respected magazine. So opposition fans don't know what they are talking about? Think your losing the argument on this one...

Zaha is linked to the Prem because he's good and only 19. Buckley has had injury problems, and that affects his value. Palace is a selling club and other teams know anything good from Palace is avaialbe. All clubs bar the Top 4in the Prem are selling clubs

You're saying the gap isn't that big. I don't need to offer anything back, it sounds like you're accepting that Gus is better (even if only a bit). That's good enough for me. No, you're mistaken. I said at present it APPEARS Gus is better as he has a promotion and finished higher. But only time will tell on this, and both are at different stages in there managial carrer with each club

You're ignoring my post and not comparing like for like. Dougie started with a Championship team with players that you think are worth over £5m. Of course a team of freebies from the division below is going to have to spend some money. No, Dougie started with a team that was very poor (Blame that on Burley. Barrett, Counago, Dorman, Bennett to name but 4 were utter shite players. It was amazing that he kept us up. Its his brilliant signings for a pittance that have seen us improve (Parr, Jedinak, Murray were all frees for example) And now he has had another summer to bring in some more signings (again, all cheap) we look even better

Do you realise how silly you're sounding? Last year we were a different team. No Bruno, no Bridge, no Kuszczak, no Crofts, no Hammond - those are some of our best players. It wasn't quite our first choice 11 against Swindon, no CMS or Crofts or Hammond, and you wouldn't want to rate us is a cup game or we'd have been better than Newcastle and Sunderland last year. Swindon result was not far off a full strenght side, lets be honest. But good point made, one game in a worthless cup doesn't mean much
WTF? You don't want us to judge you on the losses at the start of the season, but you think you can determine we're not very good based on the comments from a fan with his rose tinted specs on, even after we won away? You're mad. No neutral report seems to suggest Millwall deserved a point. And look at the stats.
I never said you're not very good, i said you are not anywhere near as good/superior as you think you are and we are no where near as bad as you make out.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
I'm sure the palace fella is furiously typing as we speak the 82 reasons why the players ahead of Winnie are in their incorrect positions.

You're the one that wrote half a dissertation and claims to not care. JAT

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Double post from other thread here...

A couple of Palace's more sensible posters wrote the following about us on the BBS... maybe some of the oddballs on here should take note:

"Don't really see the point of sly digs at Brighton about their floating fanbase.

Yes, they might have some fans whose first side isn't Brighton, but with respect, they put their money where their mouth is and buy s.t's. Brighton have 22K S/T holders, it's allowed to finance the extension of the AMEX and have a budget thats allowed to put a good team on the field. Imagine what it would be like to see 22K at Selhurst EVERY game!"

"I know they are having fun rubbing our noses in it but what Bloom has done should be the benchmark for all clubs in England to follow."

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

A couple of Palace's more sensible posters wrote the following about us on the BBS... maybe some of the oddballs on here should take note:

"Don't really see the point of sly digs at Brighton about their floating fanbase.

Yes, they might have some fans whose first side isn't Brighton, but with respect, they put their money where their mouth is and buy s.t's. Brighton have 22K S/T holders, it's allowed to finance the extension of the AMEX and have a budget thats allowed to put a good team on the field. Imagine what it would be like to see 22K at Selhurst EVERY game!"

"I know they are having fun rubbing our noses in it but what Bloom has done should be the benchmark for all clubs in England to follow."

Sadly few sensible palace posters frequent NSC. But would it be as entertaining if they did? Which reminds me, where is Seaside or whatever his name is?

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011

I totally agree in one way. But the reason that we go on about it is because a lot of your fan base use it to give it the biggun over us when it's not reality. It's obvious a lot of fans see you as a second team or are only in it for the short term whilst your at the highest point in your clubs history. You're very lucky that the new stadium has come along at the same time as the promotion and Poyet being your manager, its obvious these 3 things have helped increase your gates but i believe that once the novelty of the new stadium and being in the Championship, wears off, and/or Gus leaves, the attendences will drop. I also find it strange that a lot of your fans mock our crowds yet they are pretty reasonable compared to some of the bigger teams in this division and I honestly think our crowds will rise again if the football is better on the eye, which it finally appears to be after a few barren years. Remember, the last 3 years we have been at pretty much our lowest ebb whereas you have been at your highest.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I totally agree in one way. But the reason that we go on about it is because a lot of your fan base use it to give it the biggun over us when it's not reality. It's obvious a lot of fans see you as a second team or are only in it for the short term whilst your at the highest point in your clubs history. You're very lucky that the new stadium has come along at the same time as the promotion and Poyet being your manager, its obvious these 3 things have helped increase your gates but i believe that once the novelty of the new stadium and being in the Championship, wears off, and/or Gus leaves, the attendences will drop. I also find it strange that a lot of your fans mock our crowds yet they are pretty reasonable compared to some of the bigger teams in this division and I honestly think our crowds will rise again if the football is better on the eye, which it finally appears to be after a few barren years. Remember, the last 3 years we have been at pretty much our lowest ebb whereas you have been at your highest.

The club you should compare us with is Reading. Played in front of awful crowds at Elm Park and had an ENORMOUS increase when the club moved to the Madjeski in 1998. Since then they have regularly averaged around 21/22000 (not dropped off dramatically as you lot keep predicting) and dipped between the Premier League and the Championship... tell me how we are different?

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
The club you should compare us with is Reading. Played in front of awful crowds at Elm Park and had an ENORMOUS increase when the club moved to the Madjeski in 1998. Since then they have regularly averaged around 21/22000 (not dropped off dramatically as you lot keep predicting) and dipped between the Premier League and the Championship... tell me how we are different?

Premiership football

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is total nonsense. The only thing that is obvious is that 22,000 people care sufficiently to have forked out the cost of a season ticket. How can you conclude ANY of them are in it for the short term? That is absurd. If anything, the opposite is true - we had 18,400 season ticket holders last season FFS, so it would seem that nearly all of those people are in it for the longer term, not short term, seeing as they have mostly renewed.

The bottom line is that our support is made up of hardcore fans, returning supporters who didn't go (or not very often) to Withdean, and Big Team Charlies, and you are not in a position to determine what percentage they all make up. But one thing is certain; another few years and our support will mostly be labelled "regulars" because 5 or 6 years of going to every game makes them so. Perhaps if you had a few more Chelsea fans (they are all over your catchment area) in your ranks, you might be able to compete, instead of bigging up your average youngsters before selling them on for an undisclosed* fee to Wigan

*$£3m

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
'Once the novelty has worn off'.
This is the new 'At the end of the day'. A phrase used so much it has become dull and meaningless.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I for one am increasingly bored by taking a short trip out of brighton, walking to an award winning stadium pausing to admire the nearby area of outstanding natural beauty, stretching out my legs sat in a comfy seat with great sightlines, watching some great football, drinking a delicious pint of local ale (award winning) and having a pie (award winning though served by numpties), watching another 45 minutes of footy with moments of genuine flair and at the end walk away again with a feeling between content and delirium at our league position.

Novelty is definitely wearing off. I reckon I'll be sick of it in another 70 years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
'Once the novelty has worn off'.
This is the new 'At the end of the day'. A phrase used so much it has become dull and meaningless.

Yup. It was going to be this season. Now it'll be next season. And so on. And so on. And so Palace fans will keep moving the goalposts as each of their arguments are proved wrong time and again by good old facts.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I for one am increasingly bored by taking a short trip out of brighton, walking to an award winning stadium pausing to admire the nearby area of outstanding natural beauty, stretching out my legs sat in a comfy seat with great sightlines, watching some great football, drinking a delicious pint of local ale (award winning) and having a pie (award winning though served by numpties), watching another 45 minutes of footy with moments of genuine flair and at the end walk away again with a feeling between content and delirium at our league position.

Novelty is definitely wearing off. I reckon I'll be sick of it in another 70 years.

Ruddy boring isn't it? Much rather be rattling round a half empty Withdean or Selhurst.

What a crock of shite.

Since the 2nd World War, whenever Palace & Albion play in the same division and share similar sized venues ,the Albion averages bigger gates than Palace so that blows your theory about our support. Plus playing in the 2nd tier of English footie is not our highest point in history - a JCL like yourself may have forgotten that we relegated you from the old First Division in the 80's.

Your present crowds are a joke compared to ours - you regularly actually have less than 10k Palace fans in the ground for Championship football , which you claim is your lowest ebb, yet you state that you would have easily 8,000 in League 1 or 2 Dream on.

For a Club with millions of potential followers living on your doorstep I for one shall continue to treat Palace as the joke support they are. Do you think the Albion would fail to sell out its limited ticket allocation to a rival (Millwall in your case) who was sited less than 8 miles away playing in the Championship ? unthinkable.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
What a crock of shite.

Since the 2nd World War, whenever Palace & Albion play in the same division and share similar sized venues ,the Albion averages bigger gates than Palace so that blows your theory about our support. Plus playing in the 2nd tier of English footie is not our highest point in history - a JCL like yourself may have forgotten that we relegated you from the old First Division in the 80's.

Your present crowds are a joke compared to ours - you regularly actually have less than 10k Palace fans in the ground for Championship football , which you claim is your lowest ebb, yet you state that you would have easily 8,000 in League 1 or 2 Dream on.

For a Club with millions of potential followers living on your doorstep I for one shall continue to treat Palace as the joke support they are. Do you think the Albion would fail to sell out its limited ticket allocation to a rival (Millwall in your case) who was sited less than 8 miles away playing in the Championship ? unthinkable.

Are you The Major off of Fawlty Towers? As the attendences that you are talking about are so bloody long ago there not worth mentioning. In regards to our attendees, last season there was an average of just under 14,0000 PALACE fans in the stadium and this year I fully expect that to rise significantly if the football on show continues in the same vein as it has done vs Forest and Cardiff.

In regards to Millwall, a lot of families are put off by it as we are there most hated team and they have a reputation for hooliganism. Last season we sold out the max allocation we were given/allowed.

If you want to laugh at attendences between our 2 clubs, I suggest you look at your away support. I believe you only averaged around 250 more than us last year despite us having played at this level for 14 out of the last 15 season's, a new league for you and you being nearer the top 6 throughout. Pathetic.

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
Are you The Major off of Fawlty Towers? As the attendences that you are talking about are so bloody long ago there not worth mentioning. In regards to our attendees, last season there was an average of just under 14,0000 PALACE fans in the stadium and this year I fully expect that to rise significantly if the football on show continues in the same vein as it has done vs Forest and Cardiff.

In regards to Millwall, a lot of families are put off by it as we are there most hated team and they have a reputation for hooliganism. Last season we sold out the max allocation we were given/allowed.

If you want to laugh at attendences between our 2 clubs, I suggest you look at your away support. I believe you only averaged around 250 more than us last year despite us having played at this level for 14 out of the last 15 season's, a new league for you and you being nearer the top 6 throughout. Pathetic.

Haha! That is just so funny. You're the ones who always harp on about the past and your fantastic history. When we compare old attendance figures, they are, to quote you "so bloody long ago there not worth mentioning".
Just how far back in history are we allowed to go?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here