The official Swindon match thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
glosterseagull said:
Piercy was poor wasnt up for it. Both he and Mcphee were both lucky not to get booked with several blatent dives in the first 15 minutes.
AND
the right footed denilson said:
piercey was quality- he's too good not to start every week
Glad to see we're in full agreement then.:)

glosterseagull

Oct 2, 2003
I can see a poll coming on... I thought he was errr not up for it. if the ball wasn't right in front of him he didnt bother running. I would be interested to read what I didnt see.:rolleyes:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Curious Orange said:
Preferably FDM. Flitney kind of reminds me of Roberts!!!

:lolol:

His distribution in the second half was more akin to Kuipers! :lolol:

Thought we were excellent first 20 mins, hassled them and foreced them to make a lot of mistakes. Cruel time to concede the first goal, but I suppose that's what you get for not taking your chances.

2nd half, we were just not up for it enough. Swindon fought harder and got the 2nd. Parkin missed a couple of sitters as well. Would have been happy with a draw. Swindon deserved to beat us at Withdean so I suppose it's justice. Still gutting though.:(

Need a bit more at the back and more ball winning in midfield to have any chance of going back up.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Time for a rant....following today's match

why
do we not have full backs inside the posts when defending corners?

why
does McGhee leave our most effective player on the bench?

what
does John Keeley actually do as Goalkeeping coach?

why
does the club sing the praises of our youth policy when not one of them was on the pitch during the second half? (Mayo excepted)

what
does anyone see in Watson?

why
are our goal kicks so predictable?

why
can't Yeates get a corner across?

why
can't Watson get a free kick over the wall?

why
is Gary Hart playing so badly? (is it because he has to cover for Watson so often?)

why
do our goal keepers feel the need to pass/throw the ball to the opposition?

why
don't the players show as much passion as the fans?

what
has happened to Dean White's role of spotting local talent?

I await a volley of abuse (call yourself a fan, keep the faith, don't you remember the bad old days, etc, etc) but I genuinely feel the club is rapidly going backwards. More worrying is that I see no sign of a change of fortune.

I feel the club has ground to a halt whilst we await the decision on Falmer.

Constructive replies/criticism please.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Played really well first half. Piercey and McPhee deserved their places, and we had Swindon shitting themselves for the first 20 minutes. They nicked theirs after an apalling free-kick decision.

Knight made an impact but we missed McPhee's chasing, which had helped out Piercy a lot. Seemed every bounce went against us, always breaking to Swindon players. Did peter out a bit towards the end, but I thought Albion put a lot of effort in. One big negative - the delivery of our set pieces is rubbish.

Gutted by the result but heartened overall because I reckon in that first half without Knight we looked a far better team than we ever did when Bobby was missing in the past. A bit of patience and we'll be a decent side - they're improving all the time from the shambles when Coppout left.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
timbha said:

why

why

what

why
does the club sing the praises of our youth policy when not one of them was on the pitch during the second half? (Mayo excepted)

what

why

why

why

why
is Gary Hart playing so badly? (is it because he has to cover for Watson so often?)

why

why

what

I await a volley of abuse (call yourself a fan, keep the faith, don't you remember the bad old days, etc, etc) but I genuinely feel the club is rapidly going backwards. More worrying is that I see no sign of a change of fortune.

mate

its absolutely spot on

and 99% of that could be easily resolved!!

when is the penny gonna drop that things aint right???

and where the f*** is jake robinson??

the right footed denilson said:
im back from the game

knight deserved to be booked- took his shirt off in front of the swindon end.

piercey was quality- he's too good not to start every week.

knight made a real difference- id love to see a mcphee, knight, piercey strike force.

defence was woefull- couldnt clear our lines, goals were inevitable.

mayo, wason and hart all shit.

we deserved to win, had two dissalowlled goals, one def pen in first min

ah well.

I agree with all of that. And Gareth, we played much better when Knight was off the pitch. Yep he scored a goal but we should have had one in the first half that was disallowed.

The referee was completely one sided and Peircy was booked for a "dive". It went the wrong way and he is not a player that dives. The referee was shocking.:(

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
The first half we probably won on points but the timing of their goal was terrible.
We came out in the second half and looked really up for it and got a deserved goal but typical Brighton instead of going for the winner we seemed to go to pieces and they could of scored a couple more towards the end.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Curious Orange said:
The Albion looked a better side than Swindon for long periods, but I felt that the balance of the side was badly effected when McPhee was taken off. It was obvious Knight would be brought on at half time, but it would have been better to replace Hart and move Piercy out to the right.

:lolol: [/B]

My thoughts exactly.

McGhee made a number of errors today:

Firstly, not playing Knoght from the start. Piercy should not have been dropped after two goals on Friday, but he should have been moved out to the right in place of Hart who is not having a good season.

Secondly, when he did bring Knight on he should have stuck with the partnership that has worked pretty well this season, Knight and McPhee up front. Clearly Knight plus Piercy didn't work as it wasn't long before he substituted Piercy.

Thirdly, why put Hart up front with Knight when you're trying to get an equaliser? Where's the height? We were still knocking long balls with no one to collect them.

Fourthly, why the hell bring Rehman on? He did absolutely zilch ... as usual.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Desert Orchid said:
What on earth does McGhee see in Rehman?

I don't know! If only he played like he did when he first came,. He looked a really good prospect then. I don't know what's happened since then. :(

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Swindon out played us at Withdean.
Today we had the better of the first half without any real clear cut chances.Then in the second half once we scored Swindon seemed to up their game and totally dominated us.
Mark McGhee made two very bad errors today.
1. You should always play your best team,don't change a winning team ? OK, but we can not afford to leave out our best player and leading goalscorer.Leon Knight should have played from the start and either Piercy,McPhee,Jones or Hart should have made way.
2. Defending corners why was Jones (trying) to mark one of their biggest players ? for the 2nd goal.Why no one on the posts with an inexperienced keeper in goal aswell.
In my opinion if Knight had started we would have been in front in the first half,If we defended corners with more organisation we might still have got a point.
Please I hope no one tries to defend Jones.He jumped in 2 footed and deserved to go.As soon as he did it I knew it would be a red card.I was near the back of the main stand so if I could see it I am sure the ref would.That is twice this season,that he has been caught,so he should be hit with a massive club fine.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Desert Orchid said:
What on earth does McGhee see in Rehman?

Whenever I see Rehman play he looks as if he couldn't give a toss about the club. Send him back when his loan period expires to rot in Fulham's reserves. If he can't be bothered, why the hell should we?

:angry:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
timbha and others
agree with most of the comments you've made.
Why was McPhee subbed when he, Knight and Piercy should have been on the pitch together?
Is Yeates any good? How many goals has he scored or made during his long loan spell? Just cos he's Spurs doesn't mean he's a class player.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Right. Succinct points.

First 20 minutes, we massacred them. Jones was brilliant during that time. That penalty appeal first minute - no chance. If it was their side, we would be screaming for a yellow card. It was - I am afraid - a dive. And a theatrical one at that.

The yellow card Piercy did get, however, was a farce. Clearly battered in the back by the Swindon defender. The referee blew and the Swindon players all retreated without protest to defend the free kick. Only then did they realise it was their free kick.

We should have scored and were playing well - but didn't. Fell asleep a bit for the first goal, but it was well taken.

Second half - we were at times shambolic. Should have been McPhee and Knight up front and Piercy out wide. I said this in the Wycombe threads; aside from his two goals, Piercy did not play as though he were a striker.

Flitney did well with everything bar distribution (sound familiar). We had two goals unfairly disallowed for offside. Jones is fecking eejit for stamping to get himself sent off. Despite my friend's opinion, I thought Yeates was excellent (he thought he was shite).

But the overridding point of the match for me was THE COMPLETE INCOMPETENCE OF NOT JUST THE REFEREE, BUT ALL THREE OFFICIALS. f*** me, there were just shit and a half.:tosser::tosser::tosser:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
timbha said:

why

why

what

why

what

why

why

why

why

why

why

what

no abuse neede here mate - alot of this is spot on

also kerry was done everytime again - too slow - he's gotta go (sorry kez babe)

also the passion comment is 100% spot on

WEAR THE STRIPES WITH PRIDE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports