Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official "car crash in the snow" thread

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Just driven 200 miles home from Derby. Was a horrific journey. Saw 8 crashes. Treacherous conditions. Some people still driving like lunatics though.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Car went off the road near me into a garden wall when it was only a light dusting on the road,

Rather demolished the wall a bit and its clear the driver was going too fast.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just took nearly 2 hours to drive 8 miles home. Nothing particularly dangerous, but would have helped if the council had gritted the main A6 through my town. Followed a bus struggling up the hill, and was amazed to realise it was rear-wheel drive! And yes, I did my bit by gritting the dangerous corner at the bottom of my road (which actually spoils the fun of watching the cars slide by - Edna would have loved it!).

Jul 7, 2003
Drove home from Burgess Hill to Salvington at lunchtime. BH to Sompting, nice and easy, most people driving carefully on the A27 (except one Alfa driver who thought 80+ coming out of the Southwick Tunnel was clever).

Last three miles or so took forever, loads of idiots driving through peep holes in their windscreens trying to barge into traffic causing others to brake suddenly. Ham Road railway bridge was a little slippery and my ABS was kicking in big time trying to stop at the traffic lights at the bottom despite only going slowly down the road, some woman went sideways into the Elms roundabout as she approached it far too fast.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
On the drive home on the A27 yesterday when it was snowing heavily driving at about 30mph and idiots in the outside lane still bombing it at 70+ and they wonder why they have accidents

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358590994.323989.jpg
Rogate yesterday, perfectly straight bit of road.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Years ago I was heading off to work, in the snow.

I approached a long bend, slowly, turned the steering wheel, nothing.
At the apex of the bend very slowly the back came round, and kept coming.

My car came to a halt in a lay-by facing the wrong way, perfectly parked between 2 other cars
6 inches either way and I would have bumped one of the cars.

I had a similar experience driving through Wivelsfield once. It had snowed hard while I was playing 5 a side at the Dolphin centre and I was heading home to Burgess Hill. As I approached the roundabout, the car in front decided to stop for no apparent reason. A single minute dab on my brakes sent me into a gentle pirouette and I ended up parked in a bus stop facing the other way on the right hand side of the road! It was all quite majestic, really!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Did the note have his details? May just have been writing something like "anyone watching thinks I am leaving my details"
I was going to say that! A guy I worked with came back to his car one day to find a sodding great scratch/dent down the driver's side and a note on the windscreen. The note said: "Really sorry, I've just driven into the side of your car, all my fault. Some people are watching me write this note, they think I'm leaving my details. They are wrong."

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
If you need any help BOF I know a couple of people in the industry who might be able to help you with your claim?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
If you need any help BOF I know a couple of people in the industry who might be able to help you with your claim?

Cheers Cappers - I know some people too. Maybe we could compare people?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I was going to say that! A guy I worked with came back to his car one day to find a sodding great scratch/dent down the driver's side and a note on the windscreen. The note said: "Really sorry, I've just driven into the side of your car, all my fault. Some people are watching me write this note, they think I'm leaving my details. They are wrong."

Happened to my wife's car, but someone watching took the number plate details anyway.

The deviant got a court prosecution for failing to report an accident, and met all insurance costs.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
+1 to this. This is the second winter I've had them on. Absolutely transform a car on snow and massively improve grip on chilly damp roads too. I use Dunlop winter sport 4D's.

Winter tyres are a legal requirement in Germany.

Winter tyres make a massive difference to handling on wet/icy/snowy roads. Fitted them for the 1st time this year and am feeling a bit Adkins smug tbh.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Since when was Heath Rd the steepest in town there is hardly a rise in it compared to a number of others like Franklynn Rd, Edward Rd, Wivlesfield Rd. Westen Rd to name just a few.

The west end had been gritted but the east end looked like black ice.:blush::blush::nono::cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here