Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
How's your personal tour going Pantani.
It's my day off today, coinciding with a mates week off, so we are off to hit the Downs.
Be prepared for the stat fest later, I'll get the excuses in now though, we only have 2 good knees between us!.

I've minced out of it this morning feeling a bit sick and my ankle hurts (a bit). Also my young lady convinced me that staying bed a bit longer may be worth my while. :blush:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also my young lady convinced me that staying bed a bit longer may be worth my while. :blush:
Why, have you got a turbo trainer set up, there?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Why, have you got a turbo trainer set up, there?

Something like that, with one of those things so you can pretend that you riding in the Tour. I have to say that Turbo trainers are my definition of hell. Why would you ride in doors when you can ride outside, no matter what the conditions it is nicer to get the fresh air in your lungs.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Something like that, with one of those things so you can pretend that you riding in the Tour. I have to say that Turbo trainers are my definition of hell. Why would you ride in doors when you can ride outside, no matter what the conditions it is nicer to get the fresh air in your lungs.

They make time not only stand still but seemingly go into reverse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm well happy with my ride, 56miles in slightly over 3hrs.

We got caught in 2 downpours, sadly the second one was on the final ramp up Harting Down.
So coming down we were on a switchback descent, 370 ft, in 3/4 of a mile, going through rivers, on 23mm slick tyres.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

We got caught in 2 downpours, sadly the second one was on the final ramp up Harting Down.
So coming down we were on a switchback descent, 370 ft, in 3/4 of a mile, going through rivers, on 23mm slick tyres.

Was this where today's max heart rate was achieved?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Arrggghhh, pure frustration coming home, about 15 out, I got a full blast of chip shop smell.
By the time I was home, I was climbing the walls.
Shower, quick post, and off into the village for chips and both shops were shut.

I NEED CHIPS NOW

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Well beats my 3 hour wait in Queens Road for tickets, one complete soaking and a seagull crapped on my head.

However good news is I am heading off for France in the next two hours, hoping to see the tour Thursday at the last Cat 4
Cote du Billet, and on Friday at Lhomme as it passes my Mother in laws house.

Viva la tour.

Come on Cav its all your today..

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Cav blocked out of the intermediate sprint. Surely Boonen has to be DQd for that. Probably not though as Cav is always ruled against.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good stuff, Horton.

Nice straight lines in that sprint.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Brajkovic down and out, bugger it.

Thats a real shame, he is the only rider I have any time for on Retirement Shack.

Having seen the intermediate sprint again it is Rojas who comes off his line, he should have his points taken of for this sprint if the commissars are consistent.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This stage is bonkers

It's really going off now isn't it. Garmin are trying to destroy the field. Riders crashing all over the place. The breakaway are getting pulled back at such a crazy rate. They've lost 5 minutes in less than 30km.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Sorensen + bike being dragged along by one of the motorbikes? That can't be right, surely.

Not sure what the motorbike was up to there. First two times I saw that crash I could not work out where Sorensen's bike was, the motorbike seemed to take it on quite a way. Cheaper than buying one yourself though, I suppose.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Another crash, four Quicksteppers down. Boonen looks like he might have broken his collarbone.

Plus Gesink down too. Absolute carnage out there.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here