Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Been following the tour for years and get quite down when it ends for another year.

Honestly makes a nice change to see everyone getting on regardless of who wins. All supporters getting on together regardless of past history, favourite rider or team.

No tears when someone loses. Some riders might have a little moan up after the stage, but they don't go on and on and just get on with it the next day.

Everybody from riders to spectators give 100%.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Well, it looks like the beer festival made me miss 3 good days racing. I'll be using Eurosport player to catch up I think.

Big well done to Cadel. Exceedingly disappointed with Andy's lack of TT. He really needs to work on that. Contador was anonymous this year. Basso is past it now I think. Tommy V was amazing, I've always been a fan of his and taking 4th was brilliant.

Lastly well done Cav. A brilliant result for all the hard work he and HTC put in. Hopefully the sponsorship concerns are nothing to worry about for Highroad.

See you all for the Vuelta.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
A bit unfair on Contador there. He crashed early, lost 4 minutes and attacked on Alpe d'Huez after attacking on the descent into Pinerolo. He didn't have the legs after winning the Giro. He's not the first and won't be the last to suffer from that.

Tommy Voeckler was simply AWESOME! As were Thor Hushovd, Philippe Gilbert and Jeremy Roy. Andy Schleck's attack on the way to the Galibier is also worthy of note. Cavendish did his stuff again (assisted by the fantastic HTC train), and Geriant Thomas showed great promise both on the flat and his ride on the Tourmalet. Evans rode his heart out, especially on the Alpe and the final TT.

Great stuff all round!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This season has been unbelievably good.
After Wouter Weylandt's death in the Giro and the absolute carnage that has happened in this tour, some could be forgiven for thinking that professional cyclists are a little lax with their own safety, or that the sport is just too dangerous. They are the toughest, bravest sportspeople out there and it pains me that professional cycling is still seen as a bit of a novelty sport in this country.
The Giro was fantastic, and I didn't believe that the Tour would reach anywhere near the heights it set. But, wow, what a three weeks. Gilbert was superb, especially early on, and then Tommy V - just brilliant. He interviews well too - such a cool, laid back guy. Pierre Rolland is a great find too...have the French finally found a contender?
Bradley...would he have been on the podium? On the top step? He was on fire this year, and beat Cadel in the Dauphine, but then again Cadel went a minute and a half faster on that time trial. I think he'd have beaten the Schlecks.
Cadel - used to dislike the guy, but I've warmed to the grumpy old sod. A well deserved winner.
Schlecks - no balls until it was too late. If you're crap at time trials, attack early in the Pyranees!
Cav - finally gets what he deserves. Brilliant. Bet he gets nowhere in Sports Personality of the Year, though.
Thought Thor was great -transformed from a sprinter to a strong man beast - great to see the rainbow stripes being worn with such glory.
Contador - knackered but so dignified throughout. When he injured his knee, was he shoved off by Karpets? Could have been a pivotal moment - if so, the only impression on the race made by Katusha.
Roll on the Vuelta - earlier this year. Starts on August 20th, the day I see my first game at the Amex - very bad planning means I'll be away during the football season start...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As promised (mainly to myself), sadly a week later than Le Tour, but a good couple of months ahead of schedule, my winter 'hack' bike.

Although it now seems a bit good to ride through the cack weather of Febuary.
It's my first ever bike build and I really enjoyed the process, especially as the whole thing has come in at £360. (I did have some spares in the shed, but only 1 expensive item)

And yes at dusk it does have a reflective 'glow' to it.

Attachments

• laneys 5 birthday glasto albion 008.jpg
    laneys 5 birthday glasto albion 008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here