Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official, 103rd Tour de France, thread

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
European cycling fans need to stop being such ****ing idiots. They are a big part of the problems in the mountains.

It reminds me of that old show, 'It's a Knockout' (Jeux sans Frontieres) with cartoon characters dodging bouncy castles, people throwing buckets of water and pee to put them off and penguins on bicycles trying not to fall onto each other on the wobbly conveyor belt. All that is missing is Stuart Hall doing his inane 'laughing policeman' impression and Eddie Waring announcing the times on the 'marathon' game...

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
They have done the only sensible thing. They have still lost a few seconds but at least it appears to be the fairest way this was to be dealt with.

It reminds me of that old show, 'It's a Knockout' (Jeux sans Frontieres) with cartoon characters dodging bouncy castles, people throwing buckets of water and pee to put them off and penguins on bicycles trying not to fall onto each other on the wobbly conveyor belt. All that is missing is Stuart Hall doing his inane 'laughing policeman' impression and Eddie Waring announcing the times on the 'marathon' game...

And here come Belgium,

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Common sense wins :eek:

There is nothing to moan about when common sense wins. I was looking forward to a right royal fall out to take my mind off politics, but instead we have a sensible resolution to something that appears to be pretty fair to all. BOOOOOO.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is nothing to moan about when common sense wins. I was looking forward to a right royal fall out to take my mind off politics, but instead we have a sensible resolution to something that appears to be pretty fair to all. BOOOOOO.
The decision after the farce seems like the most sensible one, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't moan about the organiser allowing the crash to happen, which has cost Froome time. He obviously would have finished quicker if they hadn't crashed and the three of them were fighting to the end.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So were those behind not held up in the melee that followed?

To be fair, they were, but probably less so than Froome, Porte and Mollema, so their delay in real terms was not far off equal given they didn't eat tarmac or the back of a service bike.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The decision after the farce seems like the most sensible one, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't moan about the organiser allowing the crash to happen, which has cost Froome time. He obviously would have finished quicker if they hadn't crashed and the three of them were fighting to the end.

Quintana was very lucky today. Froome rode straight away from him and, I fancy, would have taken another15 to 20 seconds out of him in the last 1.2 km.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I was going to prognosticate Froome running up the mountain, then getting on a clown bike, finally ending up on a teeny tiny one.

Imagine how much of a ninny I feel right now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow that was nuts.

Just the image of the yellow jersey running up a mountain, through no fault of it's own, is jaw dropping and very embarrassing for the sport.

Irrespective of the wrongs and wrongers, without even mentioning just how many times this exact incident has been predicted, gotta love the spectacle*.

Quintana got very lucky out of all this crazy nonsense.
He was clearly going to end the stage considerably more than 54 seconds down.
But on the other hand he finally put some cards on the table and had 8 high.

CnVke0SWgAEJmRE.jpg

*I promised myself this year I would make mountains out of mole hills, as tour unfolded.
12 seconds one day doesn't make much difference when 10 days later the race is won by 5 minutes.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just finished watching back the recording of the live stage. Only needs one word to describe today really...

Farcical.

Watching the highlights programme now to see what decision has been made, if any, by the organisers.

What a crock of shit this is.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just finished watching back the recording of the live stage. Only needs one word to describe today really...

Farcical.

Watching the highlights programme now to see what decision has been made, if any, by the organisers.

What a crock of shit this is.

Totally agree - they've got to put barriers up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You wouldn't have thought there was enough whitewash:-

1 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Lotto Soudal 4:31:51
2 Serge Pauwels (Bel) Dimension Data 0:00:02
3 Daniel Navarro (Spa) Cofidis, Solutions Credits 0:00:14
4 Stef Clement (Ned) IAM Cycling 0:00:40
5 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Direct Energie
6 Bertjan Lindeman (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:02:52
7 Daniel Teklehaimanot (Eri) Dimension Data 0:03:13
8 Sep Vanmarcke (Bel) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:03:26
9 Chris Anker Sörensen (Den) Fortuneo - Vital Concept 0:04:23
10 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:05:05
11 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:05:24
12 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team
13 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida
14 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
15 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha
16 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:05:31
17 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team
18 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:05:36
19 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:05:05
20 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:06:30
21 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ
22 Warren Barguil (Fra) Team Giant-Alpecin
23 Daniel Moreno (Spa) Movistar Team
24 Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky 0:06:45
25 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:05:05

But:-

General classification after stage 12

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 57:11:33
2 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:00:47
3 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:56
4 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:01:01
5 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:01:15
6 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:39
7 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:01:44
8 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:54
9 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:01:56
10 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:02:11
11 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:02:22

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The Shadow really needs to pull his finger out. He can't rely on Froome falling off and braking his hands again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This all seems somewhat insignificant now that France has, once again, been tragically reminded this is just a bicycle race.

Stage 13: Bourg-Saint-Andéol - La Caverne du Pont-d'Arc, 37km (ITT)

tour_de_france_2016_stage_13_profile.jpg

Dumolin
Dennis
Martin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here