Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official, 103rd Tour de France, thread

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't really get why they were booing Froome. Seemed like a sensible decision in the end (though a farcical situation ).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Don't really get why they were booing Froome. Seemed like a sensible decision in the end (though a farcical situation ).

He is almost universally considered a doper in France. I was in the Alps, amongst cyclists, this weekend, and the hatred for him was pretty intense.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
This all seems somewhat insignificant now that France has, once again, been tragically reminded this is just a bicycle race.

Stage 13: Bourg-Saint-Andéol - La Caverne du Pont-d'Arc, 37km (ITT)

View attachment 76541

Dumolin
Dennis
Martin.

Very true. Some of the language describing yesterday's incident will have to be toned down a little.

I think Froome will be super motivated after yesterday so I'm going for Froome, Dumoulin, Martin.

He is almost universally considered a doper in France. I was in the Alps, amongst cyclists, this weekend, and the hatred for him was pretty intense.

I can see where it comes from but it is pretty disproportionate given that Contador, Valverde (in particular) and several others have served bans for failed tests. Although it does smack a little of Armstrong, Froome as never failed any tests so why is he coming in for more hatred than these other guys. The secret pro is an intersting read - he doesn't hold back on other riders and talks very suspiciously of the riders that go way better in the 3rd week of a grand tour (i.e Quintana, Nibali rather than Froome).

Some of it may be the parallels between the Sky approach and that spouted by USPS/Discovery during the Armstrong years. Sky are very unlikeable with Brailsford now nauseatingly smug (see his reaction after Froome's downhill attack). They go against all the history and romance of cycling that many miss (particularly the French).

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Talking to some French cyclists last week they said the feeling towards Froome is mostly a reflection they are fed up at the lack of French GC contenders and English speaking riders and teams have dominated the Tour for 'too long'. They acknowledged that Froome is a great athlete but they cannot quite accept that he is clean. This slight continues to be fuelled by some French media.

Vive les Anglais....:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Some of it may be the parallels between the Sky approach and that spouted by USPS/Discovery during the Armstrong years. Sky are very unlikeable with Brailsford now nauseatingly smug (see his reaction after Froome's downhill attack). They go against all the history and romance of cycling that many miss (particularly the French).

I think the whole Sky thing is probably a driving force. If he was riding for Tinkoff or someone he wouldn't be getting this level of abuse. No one looks more suspicious than Nibali in my opinion, he can seemingly be in shocking form for a couple of stages, then bounce back incredibly. In his team too, and he doesn't get what Froome gets.

I think there is a lot of 'we don't like you Brits coming over here and dominating our bike race!'.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wow, just caught up with that. Too much to say really.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I'll probably get slated for this, but in a perverse way I wish the result had stood yesterday - and they hadn't reversed the decision for the yellow.

I've never been a huge fan of Team SKY or Chris Froome I will admit, BUT - I would've loved to have seen his reaction out on the road the next 8 days had he slipped to 6th yesterday. The likes of Quintana etc. would've been in panic mode every time he went to the front. Froome is so unpredictable (& an absolute beast when he puts the hammer down), so the way he doesn't give a damn when or where he attacks has to be admired....its much the same attitude as Hinault used to have.

That said, I can just as easily see him continue to do it from the front as well - just to stick 2 fingers up at the rest of them!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Just seen that Gerrans has abandoned due to a broken collarbone sustained in his crash yesterday (still finished the stage though before realising!) & Thibaut Pinot has also called it a day because of bronchitis....massively disappointing Tour for the Frenchman, despite having the polka dot for a few days.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This all seems somewhat insignificant now that France has, once again, been tragically reminded this is just a bicycle race.

Stage 13: Bourg-Saint-Andéol - La Caverne du Pont-d'Arc, 37km (ITT)

Dumolin
Dennis
Martin.

Spartacus got to be worth a little e/w bet today as a last hurrah?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The history of doping?

Sort of. The French are really pissed off that they got cleaned up after 98 (Festina scandal) and doping became a criminal offence in France a while after. Meanwhile, Lance, Italians, Spaniards were living it up off EPO, HGH, testosterone and the like.

They have a point really but now I don't think there are any excuses, the playing field is (more or less) level for most.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Sort of. The French are really pissed off that they got cleaned up after 98 (Festina scandal) and doping became a criminal offence in France a while after. Meanwhile, Lance, Italians, Spaniards were living it up off EPO, HGH, testosterone and the like.

They have a point really but now I don't think there are any excuses, the playing field is (more or less) level for most.

We certainly hope so because it would be massively disappointing if it wasn't. However, the IAAF situation with the Russians, in particular, shows that doping is far, far from beaten.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We certainly hope so because it would be massively disappointing if it wasn't. However, the IAAF situation with the Russians, in particular, shows that doping is far, far from beaten.
We don't need the Russians to know that doping is still a massive problem. It's across most sports, and the governing bodies just don't take it seriously enough.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
We don't need the Russians to know that doping is still a massive problem. It's across most sports, and the governing bodies just don't take it seriously enough.

Notice I said "level" not "clean"!!

The Russian situation is obviously huge but they have made little impact on cycling recently, probably because they were less able to do it. Cycling now has the most rigorous testing and it isn't only done by the national agencies. Cycling is slightly unusual in that there may be 60-100 days of competition each year, usually outside of your home nation and, therefore, conducted by other agencies. State sponsored campaigns tend to work best when you only compete a few days a year.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Dumoulin has this sewn up, surely. That is a pretty special time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here