Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official, 103rd Tour de France, thread

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Presumably he wouldn't have done it if he didn't feel really good. Let's hope post #305 isn't true.

Well, always going to have that shadow hanging over things. We were only saying a couple of days ago nothing happening much in the mountains perhaps because everyone is clean and it is leading to less exciting racing. I don't think there was a lot in it yesterday. Had Cav not had his mechanical, I reckon the experience in his lead out would have known they had to chase hard as soon as that break went rather than mess about like Giant did trying to form their lead out and saving themselves off the front. Was only 6 secs gap in the end, that really was the split second decision by the sprint teams to realise they had to go all out to bring it in, or looking over shoulders worrying about what others were doing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Over 10 minutes for the break again. :facepalm:

Great, probably another day in the mountains where GC won't be slugging it out for the stage win.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Over 10 minutes for the break again. :facepalm:

Great, probably another day in the mountains where GC won't be slugging it out for the stage win.

Does that matter, as long as they are slugging it out between themselves?

Does anywhere show it live early doors? Eurosport is still showing yesterday's highlights.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
ITV4 are live at 1pm today, otherwise we're just scrabbling around for data (well, I am).

If I understand it correctly the peleton have lost 14 mins in the first 40Km of the stage. - That's about 25 miles so a difference of circa 6mph between the av speed of the break and the peleton.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not quite sure why Greipel is up there though? No chance of Green & no chance of a win on Ventoux.....?!

This is a tour where GVA can win a stage in the mountains and hold onto yellow for a day or two after.

Greipel can't win a sprint. Why not go in the break on the Ventoux stage. Perhaps him and Coquard will have a photo finish for the stage win :lolol:

This tour is fast rivalling the Euros for entertainment value. What a great Summer of sport this has been so far :(

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Does that matter, as long as they are slugging it out between themselves?

Does anywhere show it live early doors? Eurosport is still showing yesterday's highlights.

Just wait until you see coverage of the closing kms alternating between the break and GC and ask me if it matters then.

That's just the half of it though. Of course it matters. It's a statement of intent, or more precisely, lack of. There are bonus seconds on the line as well remember.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
17 minutes for the break now.

Hurrah!!!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
This is a tour where GVA can win a stage in the mountains and hold onto yellow for a day or two after.

Greipel can't win a sprint. Why not go in the break on the Ventoux stage. Perhaps him and Coquard will have a photo finish for the stage win :lolol:

This tour is fast rivalling the Euros for entertainment value. What a great Summer of sport this has been so far :(

Wasn't there a stage finish on Mont Ventoux 20/30 years ago where a 'big' sprinter got in a break and won?!

Completely different era I suppose!

Edit: nope it was a stage that went over ventoux in 1994 that Eros poli won.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Disappointment of a reduced Ventoux finish has been largely forgotten as again the crosswinds make for enthralling racing.

Gusting at the top of Ventoux is at approx. 120 km/h - so decent call by the race!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Inspired by the TdF (and hampered from running by a knackered foot) I took to my bike yesterday - along the coast to Brighton on the road and then up to Devil's Dyke and back to Worthing along the South Downs Way. Hilly and hard work, largely riding into what felt like a hurricane and copping two big showers en route.

My only disappointment was not being back in time to take my usual spot in front of the TV for 2pm to watch the drama unfold, although I did catch all the excitement at the end. I won't be making the same mistake today.
That sounds idyllic.

I was out with Colin on a route Col de Col had designed.
He's the only man capable of sounding so innocent when, after slogging up a climb that touched 20%, 2 minutes later he said:-

'oh yeah I forgot there was another 20% climb straight after'. :angry:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Disappointment of a reduced Ventoux finish has been largely forgotten as again the crosswinds make for enthralling racing.

Gusting at the top of Ventoux is at approx. 120 km/h - so decent call by the race!

It was looking all set for the peloton to catch the breakaway before Gerrans wiped out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I'm sure most of us have found to our cost, that level of rimmage can cause problems. Get it wrong and you're in the shit.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
WTF!

Looks like the barriers weren't far enough down the road, probably because the line got pushed back by 6km. Too many fans not enough barriers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here