Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official, 103rd Tour de France, thread

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Looks like it is mostly a tail wind today. So that would go against splits in the peloton.

Though after the two categorised climbs the route turns south east for a bit. Sky to drill it then?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Boom echelons!

Perfect cross wind hits the peloton with 73km to go. 4 maybe 5 large groups. Froome and Cav safely in the front of the peloton group.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh this is amazing stuff, the race is firing. Froome attacking off the front, incredible, he's doing a Sagan!

Brilliant from Thomas too, got to Froome, they break with 2 Tinkoff riders including Sagan, they've got a gap now 10km to go. Wowsers. Sky and Froome defensive....I don't think so! Perfect for Sagan, he's got a teammate, and Sky will work for this break without worrying about the stage win.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
That really was great to watch but I just wonder whether it worth it. Froome will have put in a lot of effort for just 12 seconds on the road. I hope he keeps going for these attacks, but I just wonder whether they might come back to haunt him in the Alps.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Brilliant stage. Entertaining pretty much the whole race. I wonder if Cav hadn't needed a bike change whether Data working too would have bought that back, Giant concentrating on forming their lead out when they should have been smashing themselves bringing the break back. Very entertaining.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I cannot even begin to imagine how badly those 4's legs were burning.

Chapeau, even though Quintana just wheel sucked his way to the line.
Oh I hope the payback isn't too big.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I cannot even begin to imagine how badly those 4's legs were burning.

Chapeau, even though Quintana just wheel sucked his way to the line.
Oh I hope the payback isn't too big.

Green and Yellow going together, that was mental. Froome's intuition is just so sharp these days. Everyone else asleep, starting to think about sprint trains, GC's just staying safe, and Froome read Sagan's intentions, helped no doubt by the Tinkoff rider looking to go 5 km before but having a gear issue, so Froome already knew what was going to happen - Thomas looked shocked though, but what an effort by him to get to them.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
What a great race had every thing , really enjoyed that . Great views of the med , lovely vineyards who could ask for more ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-ventoux-stage-shortened-due-to-risk-of-100km-h-winds/

The organisers of the Tour de France have announced that Thursday’s stage to Mont Ventoux will be shortened due to the danger of strong winds on the exposed mountain. Forecasts of 10km/h winds forced the organiser to shorten the stage to protect the riders and spectators on the climb.

Race director Christian Prudhomme made the announcement soon after he finish of the stage to Montpellier. Prudhomme explained that the finish line will be placed near the Chalet Reynard, making the stage 5.7km shorter. The climb to the finish will now be 10km long, with the section in the trees becoming far more important.

“It will be a spectacular climb of 10km. Rider safety is more important,” Prudhomme said, announcing the shortening of the stage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is great watching, tonight:-

1 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team 3:26:23
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky
3 Maciej Bodnar (Pol) Tinkoff Team
4 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Team Katusha 0:00:06
5 Christophe Laporte (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits
6 Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek-Segafredo
7 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data
8 André Greipel (Ger) Lotto Soudal
9 Sondre Holst Enger (Nor) IAM Cycling
10 Oliver Naesen (Bel) IAM Cycling

General classification after stage 11

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 52:34:37
2 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:00:28
3 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:00:31
4 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:35
5 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:00:56
6 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
7 Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky
8 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:13
9 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team
10 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team 0:01:28
11 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:35

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loving that stage today. Echelon action always makes for great viewing.

Chapeau to Froome, and G too for making it across to him to put in a shift. Sagan is an absolute beast and with Bodnar there too that was the perfect move. :clap2:

Froome is an exciting rider like that. If he sees an opportunity he'll take it. No one can accuse him of being a boring diesel engine GC rider that's for sure.

Glass half empty/boring tour = Game over, Froome here with the strongest ever team and stamping his authority all over the race like a boss. Barring mechanicals or illness, it's in the bag. Froome already said he aims to be stronger in the third week than he has been previously.

Glass half full/ action hasn't begun yet = Quintana is just marking Froome and limiting losses before striking in the Alpes. Today wasn't half as bad as it could have been given the race could have totally split apart. Froome might pay on Ventoux tomorrow for today's effort . Froome knows he's not climbing quite as well as he'd hoped, Quintana has timed his peak better and will take serious time out of Froome in the Alpes, hence Froome taking as much time as possible wherever he can. Quintana not half as bad at TT'ing as people think he is and won't lose too much time to Froome there.

I prefer to keep my glass half full. Not because I don't want Froome to win, but because I want an edge of the seat race where the best rider wins and no rider/team dominates and kills the race as a spectacle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 12 preview: Montpellier - Mont Ventoux, 185 km

Today is the day for proper fan involvement [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]

BPM9XUcCUAAw4tV.jpg

After yesterday's battering Quintana has to come out of the shadows, today.
He'll never get a better opportunity to test Froome, while also leveling the playing field still further for tomorrows ITT.

PROFIL.png

The stage finish will be located at Chalet-Reynard, 6 kilometres before the initially planned finishing line.

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Prognostication:-

Tibot Pinot, a Frenchie, in polka dots, on Bastille Day, going up Ventoux, 16/1 - well I say.

1 - Pinot
and then
2 - Quintana
3 - Heneo
and then
4 - Froome.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Prognostication:-

Tibot Pinot, a Frenchie, in polka dots, on Bastille Day, going up Ventoux, 16/1 - well I say.

1 - Pinot
and then
2 - Quintana
3 - Heneo
and then
4 - Froome.

Pinot has not looked in the kind of shape to do that so I think its likely to be a Quintana victory after much fireworks on the climb.

Only other option is if a break goes with someone half decent in (Rui Costa etc) and they let the gap get too big before Ventoux.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Today is the day for proper fan involvement @Triggaaar
Are you offering me a lift?

Loved the finish to yesterday's stage, but was is really worth the effort for just a few seconds? He could lose a lot today if he's not recovered.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Are you offering me a lift?

Loved the finish to yesterday's stage, but was is really worth the effort for just a few seconds? He could lose a lot today if he's not recovered.

I guess we'll find out. A bit like whether you're better off being 2pts ahead or having a game in hand. Even if Quintana beats him by the same margin as he got yesterday - job done. Hoping for fireworks though, trying to get over the disappointment of the reduced finish still..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even if Quintana beats him by the same margin as he got yesterday - job done.
If Froome is knackered (hopefully not) he could lose a lot more than a few seconds up a mountain.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Today is the day for proper fan involvement [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION]

Inspired by the TdF (and hampered from running by a knackered foot) I took to my bike yesterday - along the coast to Brighton on the road and then up to Devil's Dyke and back to Worthing along the South Downs Way. Hilly and hard work, largely riding into what felt like a hurricane and copping two big showers en route.

My only disappointment was not being back in time to take my usual spot in front of the TV for 2pm to watch the drama unfold, although I did catch all the excitement at the end. I won't be making the same mistake today.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Froome is knackered (hopefully not) he could lose a lot more than a few seconds up a mountain.

That is true, it was only 6 secs on Quintana, which could turn into 20 quite easily as you say, but he's got his 35 secs advantage through these aggressive moves, so he'll be well pleased to mark Quintana today I think, and save something for the TT.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That is true, it was only 6 secs on Quintana, which could turn into 20 quite easily as you say, but he's got his 35 secs advantage through these aggressive moves, so he'll be well pleased to mark Quintana today I think, and save something for the TT.
Presumably he wouldn't have done it if he didn't feel really good. Let's hope post #305 isn't true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here