Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm pretty sure the National League is the cut off point for drinking in site of the pitch. You would be allowed to drink in site of the pitch in the National League South.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the cut off.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
A poor result for Torquay away at Halifax, lost 2-0 despite dominating the first 60 minutes, it was inevitable they would score. Halifax was a lovely town with some very decent pubs, and loved the Shay, even though they've closed 2 stands which is a shame. Heading off to Lewisham Borough vs Meridian VP tonight in SCEFL Division 1, before catching Beckenham Town tomorrow in the combined counties, finally rounding off the midweek with Kensington and Ealing Borough.
Jack did you visit the social club at the ground?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Never say never but I can’t see Worthing failing now, in the summer the club will be National League ready both on and off the pitch and perhaps may even attract some more disaffected support from the Amex?

One question, perhaps for any Eastbourne Borough fans on here, is that right you cannot drink alcohol in sight of the pitch in the National Leagues?

If so, that will certainly p*** a lot of the existing Worthing support off.

Half the clubs in north and south don't allow alcohol in view of the pitch, the exact reasoning I don't know. I imagine its possibly a choice thing at a club like York, as they have big attendances and could cause trouble. Clubs like Southport, Dulwich, Farsley, Guiseley, Oxford City serve, but it seems the more established clubs from the level above and football league don't tend to serve, Dartford and Ebbsfleet for example don't in the south.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Some games police don’t want beer close to the pitch. No idea why. The match I was at on Saturday was segregated which feels wrong at national league north. About 1200 fans watching Brackley beat Kidderminster. Played them twice this season. Won 2-0 away and 1-0 at home. West Ham needed extra time to beat them. That makes Brackley better than West Ham.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Yeah it is looking tougher and tougher, but like you say we'll keep the faith.

It was a beautiful day on Saturday, and it was brilliant drinking Harvey's in the sun watching the footie. Hoping we might have a few more like that for the last few home games.

Rivalries aside I really hope Lewes can go up via the Play offs, what a great testament for Sussex Non League football to have Eastbourne Borough, Worthing and Lewes all in National South. ⚽

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Some games police don’t want beer close to the pitch. No idea why. The match I was at on Saturday was segregated which feels wrong at national league north. About 1200 fans watching Brackley beat Kidderminster. Played them twice this season. Won 2-0 away and 1-0 at home. West Ham needed extra time to beat them. That makes Brackley better than West Ham.

They had 380 to be fair and felt the need for a few old bill so think segregation is fair enough. Many league teams take less in segregated environments.

Brackley defensively are obscene, something like 18 conceded in 30+ games? Think they have Gateshead at home soon which is huge for their progress.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Littlehampton have been given permission to increase capacity to 3,200 for the Vase semi-final, presumably through the use of temporary stands. Tickets on sale from this evening. It's going to be quite the ocassion.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Littlehampton have been given permission to increase capacity to 3,200 for the Vase semi-final, presumably through the use of temporary stands. Tickets on sale from this evening. It's going to be quite the ocassion.

I was there in 1990 against Northampton, said to Pete Kennard at kick off ‘they mustn’t concede an early goal’ , unfortunately within 60 seconds they were kicking off again 🙈

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
They had 380 to be fair and felt the need for a few old bill so think segregation is fair enough. Many league teams take less in segregated environments.

Brackley defensively are obscene, something like 18 conceded in 30+ games? Think they have Gateshead at home soon which is huge for their progress.

I think it is 21 clean sheets in 30 matches. They have conceded 3 on 3 occasions this season. One was after a very early red card (correct decision), one was Gateshead who are brilliant in this league and one was on a big against Kettering first game of 2022 (the pitch was a disgrace). Conceded 4 in last 12 matches since then.

We are not that good to watch but are massively punching above our weight. Fylde, kiddie and Gateshead are all full time. Others in our league are but also spend quite big. We lost our best midfielder (Shane Byrne) to Boston who spent loads. To be competing at the top is amazing. We have the player who is consistently best defender in the league and made team of season for 6/7 years on the trot and build solid base around him. A decent goal scorer in ndlovu and a tricky winger in lowe.

Hopefully this will be our season after losing the last 3 or 4 years in the play offs. Sadly every season there is a big spender in that division who is just too strong. I fear it is Gateshead this year. Previously Salford, fylde, Stockport etc.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I was there in 1990 against Northampton, said to Pete Kennard at kick off ‘they mustn’t concede an early goal’ , unfortunately within 60 seconds they were kicking off again ��

Remember it well. Didn't help when we had a man sent off in the first half. Think it was (current club director) Steve 'Basher' Bates, or maybe that's subconscious bias because of his nickname....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Remember it well. Didn't help when we had a man sent off in the first half. Think it was (current club director) Steve 'Basher' Bates, or maybe that's subconscious bias because of his nickname....

I thought it was Russell Cox? Straight red for a challenge.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Your memory is better than mine. It was the 'reddest' red card you will ever see, that much I definitely remember.

945 tickets for the Loughborough game sold in 2hrs or so this evening. Would be amazing if they sold all 3,200.

This is the other thing the Albion need to be wary about re Potter, pricing etc, non league football locally is flying, Eastbourne B, Hastings, Worthing, Lewes, Littlehampton and a number of others attracting decent crowds, in these uncertain financial times the local Non League match day experience may become preferred by a number of current Amexers?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
This is the other thing the Albion need to be wary about re Potter, pricing etc, non league football locally is flying, Eastbourne B, Hastings, Worthing, Lewes, Littlehampton and a number of others attracting decent crowds, in these uncertain financial times the local Non League match day experience may become preferred by a number of current Amexers?

It's been discussed in this thread before, I'm sure, but......

I've been about as 'die hard' an Albion fan as you can imagine over the past 30 years - well over 1,300 games attended at 80+ of the 92 grounds. But even I am getting a bit dissillusioned with life in the Premier League now. Sky high ticket prices, stupid kick off times (often changed at short notice), hassle of travelling to the games, constant exploitation of 'customers' to squeeze every last penny out of us, teams 'managing the game' rather than trying to play football (i.e. time wasting, feigning injury). And then, the final straw for me, VAR - removing the spontaneity of goal celebrations.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not about to give up my season ticket and it's very convenient that my local team are having such an amazing season, but when people like myself start to turn away from the Albion maybe it is time for them to start worrying a little. Or perhaps it's just the natural way of things, a gradual turnover of the fanbase.... I just don't feel as connected to the club as I did in the 90's, 00's. I've missed more games this season than in any since the early 90's.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I think I would miss seeing ‘top of the tree’ players. Sure, they cancel each other out a lot of the time but the quality moments are worth it. It was against us and he’s not on form but the way Mo Salah breezed through Bissouma in front of the North West stand recently was something to behold.

It's been discussed in this thread before, I'm sure, but......

I've been about as 'die hard' an Albion fan as you can imagine over the past 30 years - well over 1,300 games attended at 80+ of the 92 grounds. But even I am getting a bit dissillusioned with life in the Premier League now. Sky high ticket prices, stupid kick off times (often changed at short notice), hassle of travelling to the games, constant exploitation of 'customers' to squeeze every last penny out of us, teams 'managing the game' rather than trying to play football (i.e. time wasting, feigning injury). And then, the final straw for me, VAR - removing the spontaneity of goal celebrations.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not about to give up my season ticket and it's very convenient that my local team are having such an amazing season, but when people like myself start to turn away from the Albion maybe it is time for them to start worrying a little. Or perhaps it's just the natural way of things, a gradual turnover of the fanbase.... I just don't feel as connected to the club as I did in the 90's, 00's. I've missed more games this season than in any since the early 90's.

Add in - no home wins in 2022, 3 home league wins this season & paltry 10 home goals.
I am in the same camp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here