Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I have to express also that this year has been amazing with all the tremendous albums.

BRMC
Wire (still going great!)
Ducktails
Black Angels
Then Comes Silence
Bowie The Next Day
Clutch, Earthrocker
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats

I think Riverside have a new one coming now.
.not over yet!

Last edited:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
pay day today so ahd a bit of a vinyl splurge, as I do;

Best Coast's new EP, Fadeaway, 7 tracks, really good, they are developing their sound, it's less poppy but still catchy as all **** - I love Bethany;

Bamboos new LP, Fever in the Road, 6th album from Aussie soul stalwarts, as good;

Lorde's Pure heroine for my daugter, $40 and ****ing downlaod, **** you universal NZ, wankers, sent them an email, usually elicits a downlaod when one comaplains at not having somehow I doubt this will fit the thread title;

Finally, got an email saying Yeasayer's Good Evening Washington D.C. - LIVE AT 9:30 CLUB has been mailed, let's see......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you new to of Montreal?

Nope, I got into them about 4-5 years ago, on the Hissing Fauna album. False Priest is my favourite and I love thier live performances - seen them live twice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Midlake 'Antiphon' really floats my boat.

Good to hear this. I saw them live a few weeks back and will get the long player this weekend. They have just announce another live date here for March so I will probably go along.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mentioned in the Arcade Fire Reflektor thread but I really need to recommend Baths - Obsidian.

Dark, tasty beats and good melodies.

[yt]eRc4yi_iOSM[/yt]

[yt]18RY71ISxbg[/yt]

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Nope, I got into them about 4-5 years ago, on the Hissing Fauna album. False Priest is my favourite and I love thier live performances - seen them live twice.

Same here on Hissing Fauna, I accidentally saw them live in 2007. I bought the ticket on the strength of the name, thinking they were a post rock band. Saw them live at Audio, knowing absolutely nothing about the music & it was an unbelievably good gig with all the theatrics we have come to associate with them. I saw them again at Digital a couple of years later on a happy pill and it was even better. I just have a fear they might be a bit dull this time round, the new record is a bit serious and "proper band."

Albums wise they had a unbelievable run of form from Satanic Panic In The Attic up to and including Skeletal Lamping, they were my favourite band for some time. I haven't fully got on with a record of theirs since Skeletal Lamping but all have had their moments. They play the Haunt in February, would be rude not to, I think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same here on Hissing Fauna, I accidentally saw them live in 2007. I bought the ticket on the strength of the name, thinking they were a post rock band. Saw them live at Audio, knowing absolutely nothing about the music & it was an unbelievably good gig with all the theatrics we have come to associate with them. I saw them again at Digital a couple of years later on a happy pill and it was even better. I just have a fear they might be a bit dull this time round, the new record is a bit serious and "proper band."

Albums wise they had a unbelievable run of form from Satanic Panic In The Attic up to and including Skeletal Lamping, they were my favourite band for some time. I haven't fully got on with a record of theirs since Skeletal Lamping but all have had their moments. They play the Haunt in February, would be rude not to, I think.

I got into them via the Rounder Records album club RIP. I took to them quickly. I was also at the Digital gig although not on a happy pill :smile:. They're great fun live and I love Kevin Barnes' campness and the DIY nature of their live productions; I also saw them on the Paralytic Stalks album at Concorde 2 and the show was hilariously camp, psychedelic and wonderfully cheaply put together. As an aside the live show made me appreciate Paralytic stalks which at first I thought was a weird and difficult album. I like the fact they try different sounds as well. False Priest had a Price feel to it. Paralytic was psych and the new one is country-tinged. A very under-rated band and one I wish had more success as I really feel they deserve a much wider audience. I have tickets for the upcoming show in Berlin in March.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I got into them via the Rounder Records album club RIP. I took to them quickly. I was also at the Digital gig although not on a happy pill :smile:. They're great fun live and I love Kevin Barnes' campness and the DIY nature of their live productions; I also saw them on the Paralytic Stalks album at Concorde 2 and the show was hilariously camp, psychedelic and wonderfully cheaply put together. As an aside the live show made me appreciate Paralytic stalks which at first I thought was a weird and difficult album. I like the fact they try different sounds as well. False Priest had a Price feel to it. Paralytic was psych and the new one is country-tinged. A very under-rated band and one I wish had more success as I really feel they deserve a much wider audience. I have tickets for the upcoming show in Berlin in March.

Barnes is his own worst enemy if he wants a much larger audience. Skeletal Lamping was far too crazy a follow up to capitalise on the commercial breakthrough of Hissing Fauna. On balance, I still think SL is my favourite record of theirs but my is it hard work at times.

What size venue are they playing in Berlin? I'd imagine the Germans would go crazy for the camp theatrics....

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Re Of Montreal: I can appreciate Hissing Fauna...and Skeletal Lamping, but I've gone off them a bit. I think the quality control process is a little slack. I think Albumen was a little disappointed with the Veronica Falls second album on the C86 thread, but I gave it another listen last night. Some very nice moments, but the same chord progressions recur a little too frequently. Weld the best moments of this album and the Joanna Gruesome album together though and you've got a cracker.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Barnes is his own worst enemy if he wants a much larger audience. Skeletal Lamping was far too crazy a follow up to capitalise on the commercial breakthrough of Hissing Fauna. On balance, I still think SL is my favourite record of theirs but my is it hard work at times.

What size venue are they playing in Berlin? I'd imagine the Germans would go crazy for the camp theatrics....

I know what you're saying about Barnes. In some respects he is a bit self-destructive; I would like to learn more about his personality.

They're playing the Lido which is marginally bigger than the Concorde. It's a brilliant set up/venue. Think of the Concorde main room...a little bigger but with an equally sized room with a bar and lounge next door. The two are linked but feel separate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So who doesn't think of Jason Statham when someone mentions these?

(for the record I can't stand them)

I saw them completely ruin 3am at Glastonbury when they did a secret set on that Spider thing. Talk about misjudging a mood.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rough Trade have a similar club if you're still pining for that.

Thanks. I do miss it the Rounder Club as I shared a lot of musical tastes with those guys. I will investigate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Re Of Montreal: I can appreciate Hissing Fauna...and Skeletal Lamping, but I've gone off them a bit. I think the quality control process is a little slack. I think Albumen was a little disappointed with the Veronica Falls second album on the C86 thread, but I gave it another listen last night. Some very nice moments, but the same chord progressions recur a little too frequently. Weld the best moments of this album and the Joanna Gruesome album together though and you've got a cracker.

It's interesting no one seems to share my love of False Priest. That's the joy of music I guess.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It's interesting no one seems to share my love of False Priest. That's the joy of music I guess.

To be fair (?), i haven't even given the latest one a chance yet, so I may yet be convinced. I will try to give it a go, although a queue is building up. Unbelievably, I still haven't listened to Yo La Tengo, although I was quite happy to play one of their old albums a few nights ago. Losing my edge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here