Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So have I got this right? I am completing on a £360K purchase (not first time buyer) next Friday, and now the threshold has been raised from 125K to 250K, based on the below I should save £2500 as the circled bit will disappear?

stamp.JPG

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I must of misinterpreted it then, do we get that 1st £2500 off?

My purchase price is £419,950, stamp duty was £10,997

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Depends what you class as normal levels, historically the mean is probably around 4%. Dropping back to normal levels is just what we're used to since the financial crash. Trouble is if other central banks raise rates and get their inflation under control, our currency loses value so it's not just about our own inflation.

The government are then countering the blunt instrument of interest rate rises with tax cuts and bail outs such as energy caps etc. so tackling inflation with one hand, but giving it back with another. It has the appearance of 2 competing stategies to me at least.

Crystal balls, fingers in the air = government strategy principles. [emoji38]ol:
Yes good points.

I saw this chart on Twitter. Seen a lot of comments about how interest rates are low still compared to historically and especially the 90s. But....the level of mortgage debt is incomparably higher now and even rates of 4-5% can have a horrible impact on many families, devastating really.

3% vs 7% on a £400k mortgage (not unusual for London or Sussex) is an increase of over £1000 a month in repayments. Who can cope with that alongside all the other cost of living rises.

a042db5101680dd511c1152c0d66dd38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What are people's views on how high interest rates will go in the next 12 months?

Officially into a recession today, albeit 0.1% contraction. Raising interest rates is exactly what you do not want to be doing in a recession, as it further dampens the economy and deepens the downturn. But I realise the BOE are grappling to get inflation under control, which is clearly the priority right now.

Surely they'll have to play a very fine balancing game though, I can't see them going over 3-3.5% at the peak? Potentially to drop when inflation is back down to normal levels, otherwise this recession will be long and deep.

Appreciate this is all crystal ball stuff.

After today's mini budget I'd be looking at the UK base rate graphs of 1980 to 1992. As an analogy of the Tour de France, we've just finished some flat stages and we're heading into the Alps...

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So have I got this right? I am completing on a £360K purchase (not first time buyer) next Friday, and now the threshold has been raised from 125K to 250K, based on the below I should save £2500 as the circled bit will disappear?

View attachment 152092

Could be more than that as the bit above £250k might be at 2%, rather than 5%, or less if that bit is >5%...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
£ 4500

£ 90000 5%

I believe first £ 250000 is exempt of stamp duty now
Yes I understand it now, I didnt realise they were taking away the 125k to 250k bracket.
Done me a favour to the tune of £2500

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here