The Lucas Effect. Green Voting-Both Nationally And Locally

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Voter Intentions-National v Local

• Brighton Pavilion Constituent: Voting Lucas Nationally And Green Locally

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Brighton Pavilion Constituent: Voting Lucas Nationally And Split Vote Locally

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Brighton Pavilion Constituent: Voting Lucas Nationally BUT NOT Green Locally

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Other Local Constituent: Would Vote Lucas Nationally And Green Locally

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other Local Constituent: Would Vote Lucas Nationally And Split Vote Locally

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Other Local Constituent: Would Vote Lucas Nationally BUT NOT Green Locally

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Have you tried driving at that speed, it is very difficult and my wife is a naturally slow driver and she finds it difficult. I accept 100yds either side of a school but not all the road.

I'm sure the majority of people have tried it, and all are capable of driving at that speed.

If you, or your wife, or anyone else, is not capable perhaps it's time to stop driving.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd certainly be prepared to vote for Lucas if I were able to but I will never make the mistake of voting for the Greens locally again ...... ever.

Oct 25, 2003
I class the Greens as a raving lunatic party with lunatic policies voted for by idealistic people with no true concept of life as it is now The good thing is that there isnt a Green candidate in Haywards Heath so doesnt affect me very much only when I visit Brighton.

How has Caroline Lucas being MP affected your trips to Brighton, out of interest?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The Greens are of course a joke party

And yet the other week you posted what a 'wonderful job' they had made of running the city ..... make up your mind !!!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Don't know about you but I don't really like people that smile too much for no good reason. It creeps me out.

Apropos nothing, I saw Caroline Lucas walking down the street in town at the weekend, walking down the street completely on her own and, yup, SMILING to herself.

There was nothing around to smile about as far as I could see. We're talking very much a "I know something that you all don't and it's JUST SO GREAT" meets "hello clouds, hello sky" grin - and magnificent though both at were the time - it was really a bit disconcerting.

TBH as a constituent I was never going to vote for her and her rag-tag over-promoted single-issue pressure group anyway but after that? No chance. I bet she talks to herself.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hopefully nobody will vote for her or her party.

You obviously don't live in Brighton Pavilion. The previous MPs of both parties have been lickspittle followers of their party whips. Caroline Lucas has been the best constituency MP we've ever had. She's been all over every local issue I can think of and can't be silenced by Westminster. When Hove Tories refused to challenge Gove over plans for a Free School to tarmac over BHASVIC playing fields she got involved. Nothing she has done has made me think I shouldn't vote for her again.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You obviously don't live in Brighton Pavilion. The previous MPs of both parties have been lickspittle followers of their party whips. Caroline Lucas has been the best constituency MP we've ever had. She's been all over every local issue I can think of and can't be silenced by Westminster. When Hove Tories refused to challenge Gove over plans for a Free School to tarmac over BHASVIC playing fields she got involved. Nothing she has done has made me think I shouldn't vote for her again.

Not true. Mike Weatherley strongly opposed the plan and I have correspondance between myself and him and him and Grove to back that up.

The people that nearly sold us down the river on that one were the local Greens who actually suggested the site ( amoungst others ) to the government. Thankfully Lucas didn't follow their actions and objected.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The initiative that had 55% approval during the consultation period in 2012, and a lot of cross party support ?

Is that 55% approval from all those that are eligible to voice a view, or 55% of the returned forms. if you look at the consultancy for the 3rd wave, the number of forms returned were very very low, mainly on the basis that many have become disillusioned with the Green led Council, and basically just shrugged their shoulders on the basis that the 20mph is pointless and not adhered to.

i think you will fins that actually the majority of people did not expressly support the move to 20mph.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Look around the big posh houses in Preston Park, say Beaconsfield Villas or Havelock Road. it's wall-to-wall Greens with a smattering of Labour. Not a single Tory or UKIP poster to be seen anywhere, nor the fifth-placed Lib Dem party ha-ha. These are not student votes. These are smug DFL middle-class voters with big houses and big salaries and greenery outside their front doors who can't be bribed with a thruppence tax saving and/or a pledge to beat the shit out of immigrants. They're all right Jack.

I trust these posters will be recycled.

Fortunately out in the real world, there are zero green posters in my part of the world, and rather disappointingly I have had no Green callers at my door to seek my support or views.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
N.B If you are not voting for Caroline Lucas in Brighton Pavilion, or would not have voted for her had you lived there, please do not enter the poll, it will skew the results.

Democracy at its best, anyone who wouldn't support the Greens is barred. What next a one party state.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Personally I think that The Green's 'welcome all travellers with open arms' policy is the best thing to happen to our fair city. That and the wonderful job they did with the bin strike a summer or two back. Being overtaken by mobility scooters whilst driving up Elm Grove at 20 mph is another experience I can thank The Greens for.

Yeah keep em in. Love em.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Problem with the Green's is they like the idea of a sustainable country, but the problem is they don't believe in sustainable finances.

Overall they are a force for good and at least they give a sh1t beyond the next 5 years, a Green vote is never a wasted one my view

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Democracy at its best, anyone who wouldn't support the Greens is barred. What next a one party state.

I think you are missing the point of the poll. It is trying to establish whether those who support Caroline Lucas also support the Greens locally.

So obviously if you don't support her then you don't enter the poll.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Six poll options, not one of them accounts for the possibility of not voting Green?!

That's because it is to determine whether or not those who would vote for Caroline Lucas are also voting Green locally. So it is not relevant for those who come in neither group as their voting intentions don't settle the debate over whether the 'Lucas effect' gives the Greens an advantage in the council vote.

In summary, the poll is basically to establish what Caroline Lucas supporters locally feel about the Green presence on Brighton & Hove Council. The current fledgling results suggest they have different schools of thought.

Last edited:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
The party for the 'Hipsters'... Anyone with a real job or a real life would never vote Greens! Labour all the way!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Green cabinet member for Culture, Recreation & Tourism is a fool.

Queens Park Ward; Don’t vote for Geoffrey Bowden. If anyone has heard any good about him you are welcome to say a few words in his defense. In fact I am all ears.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports