Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Out of interest what is Boileroom like? I was considering going to see The Wedding Present there but was put off by a mate who said it’s very small and hard to see much unless you get to the very front.

It is a pretty small venue but means you're up close to the band. I'm about 5'10" and have never had a problem with seeing the stage.

papa_stew

Sep 22, 2007
Saw Pip Blom at Chalk last night (support was Personal Trainer - a great live set and one to watch). Like you, didn't rate the old Haunt but it was good last night; more space and improved sound system imo

papa_stew

Sep 22, 2007
Sounds like the Haunt. My least favourite venue.
Anyone visited Chalk yet. Is it an improvement?

Saw Pip Blom at Chalk last night (support was Personal Trainer - a great live set and one to watch). Like you, didn't rate the old Haunt but it was good last night; more space and improved sound system imo

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Richard Hawley was excellent at the Dome last Friday. Lots of guitars used. He did a very long version of 'down in the woods' that was superb, and also had a fantastic harmonica player.

That's me out until UK Subs at the end of November.

Looking at the Rockaway Beech festival in Bognor for January. Has anyone got any experience or comments about it, is it easy to catch the bands and is it an all day/night thing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It is a pretty small venue but means you're up close to the band. I'm about 5'10" and have never had a problem with seeing the stage.

Thanks.
I’ll bear it my mind. Weddoes play there next month.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Only recently discovered the mesmerising and stunning AVA, but love a bit of Erland too. Can't wait.

Erl.JPG

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Richard Hawley was excellent at the Dome last Friday. Lots of guitars used. He did a very long version of 'down in the woods' that was superb, and also had a fantastic harmonica player.

Looking at the Rockaway Beech festival in Bognor for January. Has anyone got any experience or comments about it, is it easy to catch the bands and is it an all day/night thing.

I may be wrong, but an ad I saw for Rockaway Beach was based on 4 sharing a self catering apartment at Butlins

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Not Rockaway Beach, but have been to the last 3 Electric Dreams at Butlins and seeing the bands is a doddle...The smaller bands on late afternoon with the headliners on last, the same as most festivals...Never missed a band yet, looking forward to The British Electric Foundation this year

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I have a spare ticket for Deerhunter on Monday at the Concorde if anyone is interested- £20 face value - happy to waive the booking fees. PM me if you want it. Cheers.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The wonderful Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs have announced a date at Concorde. 1st May.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This weekend, I will be mainly in bandit country straight after the victory over Narwich.....
But also in Lewes....

Attachments

• New Cross.jpg
    New Cross.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 73422511_2415570528708744_6764468170011967488_n.jpg
    73422511_2415570528708744_6764468170011967488_n.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 61

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone else going to see David Ford at the Ropetackle tomorrow night?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I may be wrong, but an ad I saw for Rockaway Beach was based on 4 sharing a self catering apartment at Butlins

We have a four berth for just the two of us (Jesus and Mary Chain song already - unless a friend comes over from Seattle) my middle age spread needs some room.

Looking forward to it, Fontaines D.C., Scrounge, Heavy Lung and Adwaith, should be good.

Did anyone else go to the Jesus and Mary Chain gig at the Pavilion Theatre in the early eighties, drummer and bass guitarist (one may have been Bobby Gillespie) had a couple of massive blood gushing fights with protagonists in the audience. They played about 4 songs before a Councillor accompanied by the police closed the gig down and herded us all out.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
We have a four berth for just the two of us (Jesus and Mary Chain song already - unless a friend comes over from Seattle) my middle age spread needs some room.

Looking forward to it, Fontaines D.C., Scrounge, Heavy Lung and Adwaith, should be good.

Did anyone else go to the Jesus and Mary Chain gig at the Pavilion Theatre in the early eighties, drummer and bass guitarist (one may have been Bobby Gillespie) had a couple of massive blood gushing fights with protagonists in the audience. They played about 4 songs before a Councillor accompanied by the police closed the gig down and herded us all out.

I heard about that gig. Read in a music bio (can't remember whose now) that Gillespie was terrified of the Reid brothers 'cos they were so unpredictable :mad:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Yes I was there, Feb 1985. Remember an exchange of plastic beer glasses between McGhee, band and hangers on and a few in the crowd but don’t recall there being any violence as such. It all seemed a contrived exercise in being provocative and a bit punk rock. Wee Bobby Gillespie came out waving wads of cash at the crowd after their 4 song set, which we had waited hours for. All very exciting for this teenager.

I have a bootleg of that gig somewhere.

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
November looking pretty good with Warmduscher, Richard Dawson and BC Camplight / Porridge Radio all in Brighton.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Young Knives :) if I had any mates I'd go just for them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here