Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it Berlin, or are you travelling?

It's Berlin, 8 u-bahn stops away. The fact it's very geographically close played a big part in my decision to go. I wouldn't travel any real distance to see them. I figure it will be fun, and I can have a few beers, and it gets me out the house midweek.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
It's Berlin, 8 u-bahn stops away. The fact it's very geographically close played a big part in my decision to go. I wouldn't travel any real distance to see them. I figure it will be fun, and I can have a few beers, and it gets me out the house midweek.

Was playing with the idea of Brixton on a Monday in late November myself. Strangely could find no takers. A large part of me was quite relieved but if they were closer, on a better night, it has got to be done. When are they playing your end?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yep, should be fun...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was playing with the idea of Brixton on a Monday in late November myself. Strangely could find no takers. A large part of me was quite relieved but if they were closer, on a better night, it has got to be done. When are they playing your end?

Thursday 12th Nov. Anthrax are supporting as well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I just looked up the Norwegian death metal support band...the singer looks like he's just climbed out of a swamp.

Kvelertak aren't death metal

What they are is one of the best live metal bands on the planet, they pretty much pack in every metal sub-genre availible. They absolutely knocked my socks off at Primavera last year, they'll be well worth getting there early for.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kvelertak aren't death metal

What they are is one of the best live metal bands on the planet, they pretty much pack in every metal sub-genre availible. They absolutely knocked my socks off at Primavera last year, they'll be well worth getting there early for.

Fair play, I read this which refers to them as "death n’ roll — as in, classic rock triumphal hookery played with the all-out ferocity of death metal."

http://www.stereogum.com/1300421/album-of-the-week-kvelertak-meir/franchises/album-of-the-week/

But yeah, I'll check them out.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fair play, I read this which refers to them as "death n’ roll — as in, classic rock triumphal hookery played with the all-out ferocity of death metal."

http://www.stereogum.com/1300421/album-of-the-week-kvelertak-meir/franchises/album-of-the-week/

But yeah, I'll check them out.

Funnily enough, I was about to say that they remind me most of Wolverine Blues era Entombed.

.... And there it is in that article, immediately after the line you quote!

"they sound like drunken apocalyptic bikers trying to impersonate Deep Purple and Morbid Angel at the same damn time." Appropriate line.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funnily enough, I was about to say that they remind me most of Wolverine Blues era Entombed.

.... And there it is in that article, immediately after the line you quote!

"they sound like drunken apocalyptic bikers trying to impersonate Deep Purple and Morbid Angel at the same damn time." Appropriate line.

Something for everyone...except the wife maybe!

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Gary Holt from Exodus has been with playing with Slayer for a few years now. Firstly as a repalcement until Jeff recovered , and now permantly of course . I think Paul Bostaph is currently the owner of the Lombardo/Bostaph musical chair, although I could be wrong..

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Gary Holt from Exodus has been with playing with Slayer for a few years now. Firstly as a repalcement until Jeff recovered , and now permantly of course . I think Paul Bostaph is currently the owner of the Lombardo/Bostaph musical chair, although I could be wrong..

Correct. Bridges definitely look burnt between Lombardo and the band now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Correct. Bridges definitely look burnt between Lombardo and the band now.

He has made some interesting statements about the bands finance. He has basically stated they're all getting ripped of but Araya and King seem happy to pull in around $80,000 a year each for the vast tours which gross a hell of a lot more

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Gary Holt is a pretty exceptional choice. Poor old Paul Bostaph, he's a great drummer but any time Lomabrdo fancies it, the gig's his.

Egon Spengler

Jul 5, 2011
I am regretting not staying to watch Wand at The Great Escape. We had just seen a great band called Bully and they were next on but by then we had been in The Haunt almost two hours and enough was enough.

It looks like they're playing GDS 8th September.

I did see Wand at The Great Escape. I was feeling a little fragile, The Haunt was rammed and found the first half of their set a bit of an assault but definitely got more into them as the set went on.

They're at End of the Road so I'll seek them out there.

I reckon Great Escape highlights were probably Susanne Sundfor, Jane Weaver (will be getting tickets for her October show) and Slug. Enjoyed Dutch Uncles and Django Django too. Did not enjoy The DMA's.

BSP tomorrow, very pleased this was announced as I couldn't make the London show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here