Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
They absolutely ruled when they played with the Dead Kennedys and Test Tube Babies all those years at the Poly - ferocious, furious and tight as fu*k. I went to see them a year or two later at The Richmond with Crucifix, but they weren't allowed through Dutch customs at Schiphol earlier in the day.

Finally got to see them again 7 or 8 years ago in Croydon playing to about 15 punters. Didn't stop from being utterly effing spellbinding though.

Haven't seen them since a London gig mid 80s - supporting DK so maybe the same tour? Don't recall PTTB tho. Good the hear they could still deliver years later. Post a review if you go on 7th - I'd interested to hear about the band and audience.

Flex Your Head

Haven't seen them since a London gig mid 80s - supporting DK so maybe the same tour? Don't recall PTTB tho. Good the hear they could still deliver years later. Post a review if you go on 7th - I'd interested to hear about the band and audience.

Jeepers! It was 1982 - thirty three years ago. I'm so old. - http://www.mdc-punk.com/M.D.C._1979-2002.html

1st European Tour: Dead Kennedys + Peter and the Test Tube Babies + M.D.C.
November 15 Mon – London, England: Musician’s Collective: M.D.C. (No Nukes Benefit)
November 17 Wed – Liverpool, England: The Warehouse: Dead Kennedys + Peter and the Test Tube Babies + M.D.C. + Mayhem
November 18 Thurs – Sheffield, England: The Leadmill: Dead Kennedys + PTTB + M.D.C.
November 19 Fri – Leeds, England: Leeds Polytechnic: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + Xpozez
November 20 Sat – Leicester, England: Percy Gee Building: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + 13th Chime
November 22 Mon – Bath, England: Bath Pavilion: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + Disorder
November 23 Tues – Brighton, England: Moulscombe Polytechnic: Dead Kennedys + PTTB + M.D.C.
November 24 Wed – Norwich, England: University of East Anglia: Dead Kennedys + PTTB + M.D.C. + Serious Drinking
November 26 Fri – London, England: Central London Polytechnic: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + Serious Drinking + Subhumans
November 27 Sat – London, England: Central London Polytechnic: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + Serious Drinking
December 1 Wed – South Hampton, England: West Refectory: Dead Kennedys + PTTB + M.D.C.

Can't make the Brighton gig, but I see they're playing New Cross too - might see if I can get along to that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

You know, I think I was probably at the same London gig as you were. Good times.

Where are they playing in August? I think I'm in town, and may have to go to this one.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Jeepers! It was 1982 - thirty three years ago. I'm so old. - http://www.mdc-punk.com/M.D.C._1979-2002.html

November 15 Mon – London, England: Musician’s Collective: M.D.C. (No Nukes Benefit)
November 17 Wed – Liverpool, England: The Warehouse: Dead Kennedys + Peter and the Test Tube Babies + M.D.C. + Mayhem
November 18 Thurs – Sheffield, England: The Leadmill: Dead Kennedys + PTTB + M.D.C.
November 19 Fri – Leeds, England: Leeds Polytechnic: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + Xpozez
November 20 Sat – Leicester, England: Percy Gee Building: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + 13th Chime
November 22 Mon – Bath, England: Bath Pavilion: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + Disorder
November 23 Tues – Brighton, England: Moulscombe Polytechnic: Dead Kennedys + PTTB + M.D.C.
November 24 Wed – Norwich, England: University of East Anglia: Dead Kennedys + PTTB + M.D.C. + Serious Drinking
November 26 Fri – London, England: Central London Polytechnic: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + Serious Drinking + Subhumans
November 27 Sat – London, England: Central London Polytechnic: Dead Kennedys + M.D.C. + Serious Drinking
December 1 Wed – South Hampton, England: West Refectory: Dead Kennedys + PTTB + M.D.C.

Can't make the Brighton gig, but I see they're playing New Cross too - might see if I can get along to that.

Yep, I saw them at Central London Poly. I am also very old. :down:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Villagers at The a old Market on Friday was a brilliant gig. Powerful and moving, and the most respectful crowd I can remember - silence during the songs, rapturous reception as each song ended.

Of Montreal at The Haunt tonight, started slowly, but built up to a blistering crescendo. They were clearly having a great time, and so were the punters. And I'm home nice and early, which is always a bonus when you're an oldie who needs his full night's sleep...

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

Cheers - looks like I went to one of the London Poly gigs. Need to get the vinyl out of the loft - might be a ticket stub lurking about.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
You know, I think I was probably at the same London gig as you were. Good times.

Where are they playing in August? I think I'm in town, and may have to go to this one.

Green Door: £11.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Villagers at The a old Market on Friday was a brilliant gig. Powerful and moving, and the most respectful crowd I can remember - silence during the songs, rapturous reception as each song ended...

Couldn't make this either. What was the new stuff like? 2015 is turning out a bit shitty for me missing gigs. Next up Public Service Broadcasting on Wed.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Saw of Montreal last night, you may remember I was a little non plussed by last years version but I thought last night was a much better show. I think it helped that Aureate Gloom is a much more typical oM album than Lousy With Sylvianbriar and so the flow of the set was much nicer. 6 tracks off Hissing Fauna is always welcome.

I still haven't seen them do 'The Past is a Grotesque Animal' since 2007 though.

The Haunt was half full, which is baffling to me - this band sold out Digital in 2009. A poorly promoted gig.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay, just checked my diary and I have tickets for Kate Tempest, Nick Cave, East India Youth, Hot Chip, Wand, Berlin Festival, Doldrums, Mikal Cronin, Sleaford Mods, ACDC, MELT! festival, U2, Lollapalooza and White Fence. Plus I'll no doubt see someone in Ibiza.

Im happy with that lot. It's going to be a good spring and summer.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Couldn't make this either. What was the new stuff like? 2015 is turning out a bit shitty for me missing gigs. Next up Public Service Broadcasting on Wed.

I had a listen to PSB album again and still not enjoying it much. Hope it sounds better live.

As for live events got the following

Lovely Eggs
Great Escape
Sleaford Mods
The Loft
British Sea Power x 2
Brakes
Edge Of The Sea- Wedding Present etc
Unkown Mortal Orchestra
Joanna Gruesome

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Trio of roundhouse gigs coming up for me
Swans
Tortoise, lighting bolt, loop in support of GZA
God speed you black emperor

Plus one day at the love supreme festival in Glynde

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Really lovely. Beautiful, simple songwriting brought to life in an understated, but still powerful way. Conor O'Brien's voice nearly brings me to tears at times, and the new struff is quite emotional.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Really lovely. Beautiful, simple songwriting brought to life in an understated, but still powerful way. Conor O'Brien's voice nearly brings me to tears at times, and the new struff is quite emotional.

Cheers. I've only just realised the new album is already out so shall give it a spin after the Blackburn game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kate Tempest was great...powerful stuff. A late comer to her stuff, gig was a treat from the Frau, but really enjoyed it and the venue worked perfectly.

Interestingly, the venue made a big deal pre-gig of zero tolerance photography (Berghain does this for club nights); I took a photo of a Funktion One stack and was asked to delete it!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good shout. Might bite on that one. What are your thoughts on his new album (for someone who isn't that familiar with his material, as I)?

It is very sparse folk (early Bon Iver without the falsetto), which given the subject matter (his late mother and stepfather) is not a surprise. I've never seen him play before, but have only heard good things so am expecting a varied set. I have friends who rave about him so I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here