Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So - Is White Fence the best project to come from an ex-Fall band member? It's got to be close.... Tim's other band Darker My Love were pretty good n'all.

I will let you know after tonight!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Marc Riley & the Creepers shurely? Blue Orchids? *scratches head*

Sounds like I need to investigate Darker My Love asap.

Blue Orchids was the one I thought could be.

Pressley's 'joining The Fall' story is great, it was from that period when MES sacked the band on tour in the States and then picked up a new band out there and continued the tour. This is one of the myriad reasons that The Fall are one the best groups ever and MES a genius.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Blue Orchids was the one I thought could be.

Pressley's 'joining The Fall' story is great, it was from that period when MES sacked the band on tour in the States and then picked up a new band out there and continued the tour. This is one of the myriad reasons that The Fall are one the best groups ever and MES a genius.

You might enjoy this if you have an hour to spare?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bought some tickets to see The Prodigy. Last saw them on Fat Of The Land at Brixton. Saturday night as well. Should be fun.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
White Fence were superb last night. As Pogue Mahone said they are surprisingly more lively in the flesh than on record. And with added Cate Le Bon. Arrow Man and a 15 lengthy wig-out were my favourites...I have forgotten which song this started out as. I had a rubbish day at work, and a few beers and some live music just hit the spot perfectly last night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have mentioned venue switching before. It seems to be very common here. The last two gigs I have been two including White Fence last night both had switches. Ariel Pink has now switched venue and I bought tickets for the Prodigy gig last night at the 3000 Colubiahalla and this was upgraded to the Velodrom overnight. It works both ways, small gigs to bigger venues and big gigs to smaller.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have mentioned venue switching before. It seems to be very common here. The last two gigs I have been two including White Fence last night both had switches. Ariel Pink has now switched venue and I bought tickets for the Prodigy gig last night at the 3000 Colubiahalla and this was upgraded to the Velodrom overnight. It works both ways, small gigs to bigger venues and big gigs to smaller.

The Prodigy went from a 3000 capacity venue to a 12000. Booooooo

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did you see them at Horatio's on the pier during TGE 2 or 3 years ago? We thought they were a bunch of arrogant northern :censored: . . . Not sure I've entirely changed my opinion, but have to admit they've done very well for themselves.

I was at that gig. I wouldn't say they all have that air - it's just the "singer" isn't it? He's still the same - he has a real attitude about him. Their album of last year took me totally by surprise, no award for originality but stuffed full of great tunes, desperate and angry sounding. One of the most impressive rock debuts I've heard in some time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you allowed to get a refund? I could genuinely see a scenario where I'd be happy to see a band in a 3k venue but really wouldn't be bothered at a 12k.

I'm not sure. Until now it hasn't bothered me too much. The changes in size have not been too big and I've reconciled the issue with the idea that if it helps promoters get a bit more cash for some gigs (upsizing) and not lose money on others (downsizing) then it's a good thing. I know promoter's margins are small and profit and loss is a fine line. But, the moves have generally been lesser know acts and small-ish venues. A 3000 hall (the venue is quite intimate as a balcony hangs over the downstairs bit) to a 12000 capacity cycling arena for a well known band is quite different. And the fact it was a small (for The Prodigy) venue did influence our decision.

Feel a bit deflated by it to be honest.

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2
I was at that gig. I wouldn't say they all have that air - it's just the "singer" isn't it? He's still the same - he has a real attitude about him. Their album of last year took me totally by surprise, no award for originality but stuffed full of great tunes, desperate and angry sounding. One of the most impressive rock debuts I've heard in some time.

Fair comment, it was the frontman who was a bit mouthy, the others were pretty shy and retiring. Plus at the time they maybe didn't have the material to back up the attitude. Must give the album a listen - they did seem to have improved when they were supporting can't remember who at the Concorde about a year ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here