Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yes. This really is worth highlighting. It really was a joyful experience to be able to stroll in to every single venue without queueing. It's a big thumbs-up from me.

There were tickets available- they just did not sell them. Hope they did not make a loss on such a worthy event.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Next time they play down here, I'm going to buy and wear a pair of those ear plugs.
I was down the front and only realised hard way through everyone else in the vicinity had ear plugs in, my ears were still ringing last night. Not good and stupid since I have a few sets of plugs at home.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Does not seem to have put them off though as a hint of another multi venue festival in November 2015

Which will do well, I reckon. It'll probably be a bit more commerically focused, it won't be as close to Christmas, people will have a full year to sort holiday and travel. This was a rushed job, which to be fair, I don't think was OIB's fault. OIB could have promoted it better though I think, especially outside of Brighton.

However, November next year means that what they do will be competing with the globally renowned biennial - Colour Out of Space. I suspect it won't be aimed at the same audience though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Congratulations to Godflesh last night who were the loudest live band I've ever seen. It probably didn't help, I was stuck next to the speaker. I'm not a great fan of ear defence if I think I can get away with it but I had plugs in for 70% of the set I reckon.

They actually made Swans sound a bit tame, though they didn't play for anywhere near the length of time Swans play for. The only other gig I've been to that comes close was the first time I saw My Bloody Valentine, which was a combination of the band being deafening and the sound not being very clear.

This was a precise battery. Ears fine this morning.

I'm absolutely pumped for The Ex this evening, for my money one of the best live bands in the world right now. Unbelievably there are still tickets left, get involved.

http://www.seetickets.com/event/the-ex/sticky-mikes-frog-bar/814865

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Did anyone else see Catfish and The Bottlemen last night? Absolutely brilliant gig, and loved the chant of 'Seagulls' by their lead singer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, 2015 has Royal Blood, Kraftwerk, Black Keys, FKA Twigs, Ariel Pink, Caribou, Sleaford Mods and u2 tickets all purchased.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
People of Brighton: Were you at The Ex gig last night? If not, why not?

2nd amazing Brighton show in the space of 8 months, they really are something truly, truly special. 35 years of playing together turns you into a super tight outfit, with the added bonus that their recent material is amongst the strongest of their career.

Trash Kit in support were extremely promising as well. All girl 3-piece that sound very influenced by The Pop Group. Not enough bands are influenced by The Pop Group.

William D Drake (ex-Cardiacs) this evening then a well earned rest from live music until Sunday.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Forgot to mention I saw Metronomy last night. The support was called Teleman who I rather enjoyed; in the Alt-J Django Django mould. Metronomy were good fun although it took a while for the crowd to loosen up and get grooving.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
People of Brighton: Were you at The Ex gig last night? If not, why not?

2nd amazing Brighton show in the space of 8 months, they really are something truly, truly special. 35 years of playing together turns you into a super tight outfit, with the added bonus that their recent material is amongst the strongest of their career.

Trash Kit in support were extremely promising as well. All girl 3-piece that sound very influenced by The Pop Group. Not enough bands are influenced by The Pop Group.

William D Drake (ex-Cardiacs) this evening then a well earned rest from live music until Sunday.

I know I should have gone to The Ex. I know you recommended them to me the last time they played. I just could not make it due to work stuff! Just hoping for a third visit some time soon. Nothing live until BSP on 19th.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Quite a few Albion faces at the BSP Brass show last Weekend. Who is hoping to make it this Friday? It's my works do the night before so could be a heavy couple of days.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Quite a few Albion faces at the BSP Brass show last Weekend. Who is hoping to make it this Friday? It's my works do the night before so could be a heavy couple of days.

I'm there. I had to be otherwise it would have been my first BSP free year since I first saw them!

Not sure how late I'll be hanging around though - Xmas shopping the following day and want to be fit for this http://www.thegreendoorstore.co.uk/...--vincent-voice-vocoder-the-green-door-store/ which is going to double up as the websites Xmas bash.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Well, at least they gave their fans plenty of notice...

Yep, I can't explain how pissed off we are having prepaid for travel etc. If only I could see for miles into the future this could have been avoided, the substitute gigs are end of March now. We do get fooled again etc.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
On the subject of ear defence what do people use?

I got a pair of these custom-made http://www.puretonemusic.net/er_earplugs.html

180 big ones, but wouldn't be without 'em now. I try to get to the front at every gig, and the 25dB noise reduction means you can stand in front of the speakers if you want with no problems.

Shall be wearing them for Findlay's gig at The Old Blue Last on Thursday.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I got a pair of these custom-made http://www.puretonemusic.net/er_earplugs.html

180 big ones, but wouldn't be without 'em now. I try to get to the front at every gig, and the 25dB noise reduction means you can stand in front of the speakers if you want with no problems.

Shall be wearing them for Findlay's gig at The Old Blue Last on Thursday.

I am convinced I had a burst ear drum from being near the front at Mogwai October time. It was painful for about a month after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here