Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Saw Bloc Party do a couple of festival warm ups at Concorde 2 a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The remix of Silent Alarm is good with versions by Four Tet and Mogwai. Not mad on other stuff.

I really like Silent Alarm but then I did hear it before I'd heard a lot of the good stuff. I didn't realise that it was a Gang of Four tribute album until a few years after its release.

This new stuff is electronic music for indie kids. Pleasant enough.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just seen Shirley Collins at the Railway in Winchester. No singing but a fascinating evening of storytelling and recordings of Shirley's trip to the states in the late 1950s to do field recordings of American folk, blues and chain gang music with the legendary Alan Lomax.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just seen Shirley Collins at the Railway in Winchester. No singing but a fascinating evening of storytelling and recordings of Shirley's trip to the states in the late 1950s to do field recordings of American folk, blues and chain gang music with the legendary Alan Lomax.

Someone who I was interviewing last week, mentioned Shirley Collins. I'd never heard of her, she's amazing.

Bet that was a great night.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just got back from Avi Buffalo. He only pulled about 50-60 people which was a shame. The venue was smaller than I thought so it was quite an intimate evening all round. He was quite chatty, he's very small and wore the tightest jeans seen outside of heavy rock. This latter point might explain the voice.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just got back from Avi Buffalo. He only pulled about 50-60 people which was a shame. The venue was smaller than I thought so it was quite an intimate evening all round. He was quite chatty, he's very small and wore the tightest jeans seen outside of heavy rock. This latter point might explain the voice.

Was he any good, though, Paddy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was he any good, though, Paddy?

Top o' the morning to ya'

The gig itself had a slightly subdued atmosphere purely due to the numbers but Avi and his band were on fine form and they sound good live. He played for an hour and a quarter and there was an acoustic section with just him, another bit with just him and keys and later just him at the piano. It felt very varied for someone with only two albums and went very quickly which is a sign of how much attention he drew from the Frannz Club 60.

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Top o' the morning to ya'

The gig itself had a slightly subdued atmosphere purely due to the numbers but Avi and his band were on fine form and they sound good live. He played for an hour and a quarter and there was an acoustic section with just him, another bit with just him and keys and later just him at the piano. It felt very varied for someone with only two albums and went very quickly which is a sign of how much attention he drew from the Frannz Club 60.

Seems odd that the venue was upgraded then as far as size is concerned. Sounds like you kind of enjoyed it then. I have only seem them once and it was how I was introduced to them- at The Great Escape. They played to a packed Pavillion Theatre who were mainly there to see other bands. Went down well though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems odd that the venue was upgraded then as far as size is concerned. Sounds like you kind of enjoyed it then. I have only seem them once and it was how I was introduced to them- at The Great Escape. They played to a packed Pavillion Theatre who were mainly there to see other bands. Went down well though.

The venue was smaller than I thought. Not been to Frannz before, Googled it and it said the 300 I quoted in the other thread. But there are a number of rooms within the venue and he played the smaller one. On reflection I guess they down-sized it. I certainly enjoyed it but it felt a bit odd at times.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Sleaford Mods this week. It's sold out but there is already another date at Concorde 2 May 23rd.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Anyone seen the posters for Drill Festival around then? Swans, Wire and Savages headlining, with lots of other cool stuff. Looks very good. Sadly I've just been on the website and it's not very helpful on logistics. Only ticket type they're offering is a £60 early bird. But since this is a week night affair, it would be nice to know a bit more about timings, venues etc. Also, how's it going to work re. Numbers? Considering its a Wire curated festival, I'd be a bit pissed off if I bought a ticket then had a Great Escape situation of standing in a queue outside.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Anyone seen the posters for Drill Festival around then? Swans, Wire and Savages headlining, with lots of other cool stuff. Looks very good. Sadly I've just been on the website and it's not very helpful on logistics. Only ticket type they're offering is a £60 early bird. But since this is a week night affair, it would be nice to know a bit more about timings, venues etc. Also, how's it going to work re. Numbers? Considering its a Wire curated festival, I'd be a bit pissed off if I bought a ticket then had a Great Escape situation of standing in a queue outside.

Totally agree, need more information. I have not yet got a ticket as not entirely sure how its going to work - most venues seem to be already booked up with bands over that weekend. We are going to see Jon Hopkins for example at The Dome on the Thursday so that's part of one evening taken out. It's a real case of watch this space. Spring Hall Convert will probably have some insider info at some point.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Unfortunately I have nothing further on Drill than has already been released at present. I am going to be pretty miffed if I don't get to see Swans, I have to say. The bill does look pretty all round strong so far though.

Anyway March 2015, these girls return to kick some serious arse. Can't wait.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Yay. Ryan Adams at the Dome (cue inevitable 'Bryan Adams?!' jokes). Tickets bought. Be quick if you want one - says Limited Availability already - although it's possible that's based on a small set of presage tickets because it seems bizarrely quick for them to sell considering it wasn't advertised anywhere - and the fact that the ones I bought were 1200 or so, and the one I just had in my basket was 1213.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone else at The Old Market for Antlers tonight?

Mate bought me a ticket for the show tonight otherwise I would have been there.

Spoilt by the awful venue on the Hospice tour but I was blown away by them at The Concorde last time round.

What's the new album like? I haven't given it much time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw FKA Twigs last night. An interesting and eventful evening. First of all I have to say she was quite enchanting and mesmerising at times and mixes a bit of contemporary dance in with her show. Her short show worked very well.

The down side was a huge argument developed with a group of 4 people who pushed their way to the front just after the show started then proceded to talk (well shout), text message friends and even phone a friend during what was quite a delicate performance. It was quite breathtaking to be honest especially the phoning a friend bit; there is chatting during a gig but this was next level. A number of people asked for them to stop and they just shrugged it off and carried on and it turned a bit nasty in the end. We ended up moving. It totally ruined a couple of songs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here