Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bought tickets for Caribou at Brixton Academy in March. Already excited. New album tomorrow.

I got some tickets for his show over here.

4 gigs in 4 weeks coming up: Gruff Rhys, Avi Buffalo, FKA Twiggs and The War on Drugs.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did anyone else make Future of The Left last night? Very enjoyable, they are so much more reliable as a 4-piece than the old days of lurching from one equipment mishap to another.

If they were American, they'd be so much bigger than they are. Still, our gain I guess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, I went to see Gruff Rhys again last night and my nights with him just get more surreal. As you might have noticed from another thread this gig was moved from a small cocktail bar ; slightly frustrating as the original venue seemed a great setting. But, I was not expecting the opulent parquet floored, chandeliered and silk curtained side bar of a 1914 theatre and piggy-backed after another unrelated band had just performed their head-line show. THere was a fairly large number of sofas and arm-chairs in the bar as well..great setting. But, due to the confusiin/move and the language barrier I had struggled to figure out what was going on, when and where he was on, and also worry if I’d missed him. Thankfully it turned out okay. The show itself was part slide-show and part acoustic gig as Gruff told the rambling and highly amusing story of how a Welshman accidentally annexed the US for the Spanish crown. At times it was hilarious in a what-is-this-man-on type of Gruff way; some of the lines were very funny. The main thing I took away though, is what a brilliantly creative nut-case he is, and also stripped of a band, how bloody brilliant his voice, and his song-writing, can be.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Did anyone else make Future of The Left last night? Very enjoyable, they are so much more reliable as a 4-piece than the old days of lurching from one equipment mishap to another.

If they were American, they'd be so much bigger than they are. Still, our gain I guess.

Sadly I missed it. They are a great live band and love the fact they always throw in a few McClusky songs. As for their fame, am happy for them to remain just as they are- selfish I know. Did they do the traditional taking apart of the drums at the end?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
After 20,000 days here is another documentary worth a look

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Edge Of The Sea Festival ( The Wedding Present) back again August 2015. Tickets already on sale.

boik

Tall Ships for me last night at the Prince Albert. Strange seeing them as a 5 piece now - I miss their quirkiness that stemmed from Ric doing all the loops and pedals live. Still a great show though. Support was from These Ghosts and Chalk. Very impressed with Chalk. See they're back there on 22/11.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Tall Ships for me last night at the Prince Albert. Strange seeing them as a 5 piece now - I miss their quirkiness that stemmed from Ric doing all the loops and pedals live. Still a great show though. Support was from These Ghosts and Chalk. Very impressed with Chalk. See they're back there on 22/11.

We were watching The Monochrome Set in The Green Door Store and tried to get into the last ten minutes of Tall Ships but the One Inch Badge guy on the door was having none of it. Brighton was spoilt for bands last night with The John Steel Singers also playing.

Jul 7, 2003
Went to see Alestorm at the Concorde2 last night having read about them on here and thought it might be a laugh. After a pre-gig beer at the Thomas Kemp we walked down to the venue and were surprised to see so many people dressed up in pirate outfits for the night.

We didn't bother with the support acts although caught the end of Lagerstein. Their front is man is possibly the biggest bloke I have ever seen up close as he came out to the merchandise table after their set. He must be 7' tall and about the same wide.

Alestorm themselves were surprisingly good - once you get past the pirate theme they are decent musicians. Lots of energy and entertaining although it was one of the stranger gigs I have attended including the lead singer using a monkey puppet to introduce one song, lots of plastic cutlasses being waved about and also at least one inflatable parrot. The drum kit had built in optics to keep the band in booze during the set, members of the support acts crowd surfing onto the stage join the headline act and then the lead singer crowdsurfing to the bar at the end of the gig.

For a cheap Sunday night out, it was great fun and definitely worth going.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
'Im out of Bloc Party playing an "intimate" show at Pavillion Theatre.

http://brightondome.org/event/6610/kele/

Intimate show basically means "not sure how many tickets we could sell and don't want to lose and arm and a leg" doesn't it?

I like his single that I heard on 6 the other day as it goes.

Saw Bloc Party do a couple of festival warm ups at Concorde 2 a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The remix of Silent Alarm is good with versions by Four Tet and Mogwai. Not mad on other stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here