Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Radiohead didn't disappoint. A fantastic balmy evening and a wonderful career spanning set of over 2 hours. Both me and the Frau think it's in our top 10 gigs ever.....and as we have almost 60 years of live music between us that's some statement.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I had a fine time at the Brighton Alternative Jazz Festival, and it was cracking value at £40 over the two days. It also managed to expunge that Brentford game/performance from my mind extremely swiftly by about 6.30 on Saturday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A couple of my mates went - Creep got an outing I hear.

Yup, second encore and a last minute decision apparently (the printed set list on the stage showed something else). Or maybe a bluff? Gig ended with Creep and Karma Police.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
John Murry was somewhere between solid and excellent last night at The Hope. Poor turn out and MASSIVELY spoilt by the noise from downstairs at the end of his set.

Don't think I'll go to a gig their again.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Honestly, the bloke is doing some mustard stuff and then, at 10, a load of noise starts blasting up through the floor .... ****ing wrong.
As it happens, when I left, the stuff downstairs wasn't crap .....but that's not the ****ing point.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
John Murry was somewhere between solid and excellent last night at The Hope. Poor turn out and MASSIVELY spoilt by the noise from downstairs at the end of his set.

Don't think I'll go to a gig their again.

Yeah, that seemed a recipe for disaster, it was The Rebel (ex-Country Teasers) downstairs. Being familiar with John Murry's ouevre, I thought it might be a problem. It's not a problem if the act upstairs is amplified but I'm guessing Murry was without band.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just discovered that my friend is putting on The Pictish Trail with a band featuring members of Tuff Love and the Phantom Band at The Green Door Store on October 10th. Will definitely be popping alomg to that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I looked at the WGT link and am massively surprised at the number of tickets left for this, given a) she's very good and b) she seems to have plenty of the 'right' people on board.

She or her people might want to have a word with the promoter though, given that WGT tells you how many tickets are left, it's always best to create the illusion of scarcity and top up the allocation gradually as you sell them. There's basically no incentive to buy an advance ticket otherwise.

#promotertricks

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I looked at the WGT link and am massively surprised at the number of tickets left for this, given a) she's very good and b) she seems to have plenty of the 'right' people on board.

She or her people might want to have a word with the promoter though, given that WGT tells you how many tickets are left, it's always best to create the illusion of scarcity and top up the allocation gradually as you sell them. There's basically no incentive to buy an advance ticket otherwise.

#promotertricks

Good point, I'm not sure how up to date it is, mind.

The other act are pretty good too, btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-TAGSJ6TMI

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Suggest you drop the venue a line though - hello@hope.pub.

If you don't get anything back from there PM me and I'll give you the e-mail address for the booker.

Shall do. It was a real shame as his set finished with a couple of absolute, solid gold belters. I would have stuck around for the do downstairs but the combination of fancying another pint and my state of high dudgeon meant I was going to spend anymore money in the venue.

On the plus side LOADS of great gigs lined up for the rest of the year.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Having decided to swerve the Reading cup match am now tempted to go see Terry at The Hope. Cowtown the day after- same venue. Next week is a particularly strong one for bands playing in Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Off to see Sunflower Bean at Scala this evening. Will post review tomorrow.

I saw them a few weeks ago. I find the album a bit "twee" but they're a different prospect live. They're prone to heavier sounds and going off on psych based instrumentals. Enjoy

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here