Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
There was a very long track that I didn't know, which was more guitar doodling than bass dirge. It did stretch the patience a bit.

They also played a song 'I'm Gonna Find You' or something, that they have never recorded, but they said was more ancient than Marquee Moon.

They played loads from Marquee Moon, finishing with a brilliant Friction as the encore.

Loads from Marquee Moon, and as you say, nothing from Adventure.

It was a good gig apart from as you say the boring middle set long track, which is called Persia. The interplay between the twin guitars was superb. Verlaine's singing was its usual interestingly off kilter style. Great to hear live so many classics from marquee moon (the bulk of the set was from from MM) and 1880 off the album they released in the 90s.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Pretty underwhelmed by the final line-up additions to Together The People (Suede, Peter Hook, Nathaniel Rateliff), although it's possible it's right up the street of others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PJ Harvey tonight..open air gig in a fortress on a small island.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Pretty underwhelmed by the final line-up additions to Together The People (Suede, Peter Hook, Nathaniel Rateliff), although it's possible it's right up the street of others.

Actually looking forward to Suede, never seen them before. I'm ok with it. Was pretty annoyed they didn't announce day tickets early on as I would have got saturday only tickets rather than weekend right when they went on sale. Note to self next time wait.

Hoping the event runs smoothly this year. With Brian Wilson headlining saturday I hope they have more than one bar open with what I epxect to be a larger crowd than last year.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Actually looking forward to Suede, never seen them before. I'm ok with it. Was pretty annoyed they didn't announce day tickets early on as I would have got saturday only tickets rather than weekend right when they went on sale. Note to self next time wait.

Hoping the event runs smoothly this year. With Brian Wilson headlining saturday I hope they have more than one bar open with what I epxect to be a larger crowd than last year.

Such a shame. It's such a perfect opportunity forms decent frstival but they seem intent on making it as MOR as possible. I love both the headliners and would love to see them, but charging £55 a day for that line up is ridiculous (compare to Field Day, for example). Hoping there will be so,e decent offers on the Suede day tickets, although I realise that this will probably result in the festival ceasing to exist.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Such a shame. It's such a perfect opportunity forms decent frstival but they seem intent on making it as MOR as possible. I love both the headliners and would love to see them, but charging £55 a day for that line up is ridiculous (compare to Field Day, for example). Hoping there will be so,e decent offers on the Suede day tickets, although I realise that this will probably result in the festival ceasing to exist.

I agree, although it's an absolute ballache trying to put these events on in a crowded market. I do have some sympathy for the organisers, I do think this event is priced on the steep side, although probably because Brian Wilson doesn't come cheap on this occasion. Over £100 for a two day city centre event is making the £225 I paid for the Glastonbury Waterpark look an absolute bargain.

I will be there though, reassuringly the word is that the recent Pet Sounds shows have been superb and if that transpires I'll have forgotten about the ticket price. This event does have potential to be superb and I hope this year is successful enough to give them another opportunity next year.

One small act that has snuck on to the list is Frankie Furlow a soulful act I was particularly impressed with in the BIMM tent last year, will hopefully catch them at Glastonbury this week too.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Suede are incredible live and seeing Brian Wilson do Pet Sounds with the sun out would be brilliant. Rest of line up is pretty meh though.

Anyone else got tickets for Billy Bragg at St George's Church in November?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I will be there though, reassuringly the word is that the recent Pet Sounds shows have been superb and if that transpires I'll have forgotten about the ticket price. This event does have potential to be superb and I hope this year is successful enough to give them another opportunity next year.

I do hope so. I saw Brian Wilson at Bestival a few years ago and he was terrible. I had a cynical thought that there was good reason it was a 'UK Festival Exclusive.'

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think Suede's a pretty good shout as it goes. There's some other decent stuff but it doesn't really look like a good value proposition overall. A lot hinges on how good the Pet Sounds performance will be.

Has anyone seen the Peter Hook thing? Is it any good?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think Suede's a pretty good shout as it goes. There's some other decent stuff but it doesn't really look like a good value proposition overall. A lot hinges on how good the Pet Sounds performance will be.

Has anyone seen the Peter Hook thing? Is it any good?

Seen the Peter Hook thing a couple of times now. Very enjoyable. Faithful reproductions of the songs performed by a decent band.

Like others have said this festival as a whole seems a missed opportunity. Hook,Suede and Brian Wilson aside it looks very light for the money

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Seen the Peter Hook thing a couple of times now. Very enjoyable. Faithful reproductions of the songs performed by a decent band.

Like others have said this festival as a whole seems a missed opportunity. Hook,Suede and Brian Wilson aside it looks very light for the money

And it's not as if people can't work it out for themselves. The majority of the acts are OIB regulars who play Brighton on a frequent basis

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Off to Vintage Trouble in Leamington next week. Have seen them once before and was blown away. Nothing groundbreaking, just extremely tight blues/rock n' roll. Anyone else a fan?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I agree, although it's an absolute ballache trying to put these events on in a crowded market. I do have some sympathy for the organisers, I do think this event is priced on the steep side, although probably because Brian Wilson doesn't come cheap on this occasion. Over £100 for a two day city centre event is making the £225 I paid for the Glastonbury Waterpark look an absolute bargain.

I will be there though, reassuringly the word is that the recent Pet Sounds shows have been superb and if that transpires I'll have forgotten about the ticket price. This event does have potential to be superb and I hope this year is successful enough to give them another opportunity next year.too.

Have a lot of sympathy with them trying to put on a festival and sure that the way numbers stack up now mean that for the size they are going for this is about the line up they can realistically afford. I just think they could do so much better with the undercard. Not even looking for 'bigger' bands, just something a bit more interesting. I would love to see both Suede and Brian Wilson (saw him at Primavera in this tour and it was great fun) but would probably pay no more than £60 for the line up - especially given that festival sets like this will probably be underwhelming - I'm envisaging a lot of Kids running about and lots of people chatting through pretty much everything.

I'm being a bad England fan tonight and going to the Hope to see Car Seat Headrest, Teens of Denial has been a very regular listen in the last few months so looking forward to this. Anyone else skipping the Slovakia game?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I'm being a bad England fan tonight and going to the Hope to see Car Seat Headrest, Teens of Denial has been a very regular listen in the last few months so looking forward to this. Anyone else skipping the Slovakia game?
Caught the first half then raced down to see CSH. Absolutely superb.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
Still thinking about the Neon Indian gig at Oval Space last Thursday.

One of my all-time favourite nights. Forgot to save my Snapchat story so only have the pictures in my head.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The Rich Kids and The Professionals at the O2 for me on Thursday, its been rearranged from last month due the the roof at the Hammersmith Odean not being finished in time.
Really looking forward to this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here