Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003

Post Preston I'm off to the DLW to see The Tallest Man On Earth. Some tix remaining I believe. Worth a gander if you like your guitar led folk based singer song writer stuff.

Went to this out of curiosity and came away determined to invest in some of his recorded output. A fantastic evenings entertainment..

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Went to this out of curiosity and came away determined to invest in some of his recorded output. A fantastic evenings entertainment..

Nice one. Worth noting that it is only the latest album that has full band backing - all prior to that are classic mode: one man and his guitar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got my dates wrong. It's Jeffrey Lewis tonight.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Godspeed. Wow.

Indeed. Spent the entire two hours totally immersed. I just loved the fact that the crowd stayed put at the very end watching the guy go round turning off the amps which in itself was part of the show. My only thought- we were right in the middle- is that they could have turned it up a fraction. Missed the support who I am told were very good.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Indeed. Spent the entire two hours totally immersed. I just loved the fact that the crowd stayed put at the very end watching the guy go round turning off the amps which in itself was part of the show. My only thought- we were right in the middle- is that they could have turned it up a fraction. Missed the support who I am told were very good.

Immense night - a real wall of sound at times. My companion had not seen/heard them before and is converted. I was upstairs middle circle and it was plenty loud enough up there - ears humming nicely this morning. I noticed a couple of different people leave 2/3rds of the way through - weird as you'd not think they would attract the casual listener.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Immense night - a real wall of sound at times. My companion had not seen/heard them before and is converted. I was upstairs middle circle and it was plenty loud enough up there - ears humming nicely this morning. I noticed a couple of different people leave 2/3rds of the way through - weird as you'd not think they would attract the casual listener.

I can only guess they had trains to catch! Standing downstairs emptied a bit but that was due to people retreating to the seats. Happy to say that my knees held out for the duration.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can only guess they had trains to catch! Standing downstairs emptied a bit but that was due to people retreating to the seats. Happy to say that my knees held out for the duration.

I really like The Dome as a venue, and I thought Godspeed proved how good the sound is in there. Big shout to the sound engineer as well, because the mix was amazing. I too was stood in the middle downstairs, and I particularly liked the passage where you could hear the film reels rolling through.
It was a brilliant set as well. When they hook you, which they did last night, there aren't many better live bands.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
GY!BE we're amazing the other night. One of the best gigs I've seen I a while. Really good, respectful, crowd as well. The Dome just cannot be beaten anywhere for a mid size arts venue.

They announced the timetable for Mutations festival today. Really disappointing. Like the concept of this and would love to support a local festival but the line up just isn't worth £50 for me. Assume the 'big name' that someone was referring to earlier in thread is this John Talabot B2B set but it's not that big a deal for me - such a shame it wasn't Thee Oh Seas as a few predicted. Hopefully it will do well and next years line up will be a little more impressive/to my taste!

Deerhunter tonight at All Saints Hove. Cannot wait. Love the new album and haven't seen them for far too long after their 2013 cancellation. Still tickets available, unbelievably!

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Deerhunter tonight at All Saints Hove. Cannot wait. Love the new album and haven't seen them for far too long after their 2013 cancellation. Still tickets available, unbelievably!
Yup, absolutely loving the new album after a dozen or so listens this past week. Can't wait for tonight.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, due to Mrs Mahone's preference for something a little more bouncy :)blush:), I am not going to see Deerhunter, but will be at Sticky Mikes to see The Milk.

I am actually looking forward to this.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Just as well I read this, was about to head off to st George's church!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
GY!BE we're amazing the other night. One of the best gigs I've seen I a while. Really good, respectful, crowd as well. The Dome just cannot be beaten anywhere for a mid size arts venue.

They announced the timetable for Mutations festival today. Really disappointing. Like the concept of this and would love to support a local festival but the line up just isn't worth £50 for me. Assume the 'big name' that someone was referring to earlier in thread is this John Talabot B2B set but it's not that big a deal for me - such a shame it wasn't Thee Oh Seas as a few predicted. Hopefully it will do well and next years line up will be a little more impressive/to my taste!

It wasn't Talabot. Is the line up finished then?

Too ill to go to GYBE or Deerhunter. Probably the worst week of the year to contract the virus from hell.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It wasn't Talabot. Is the line up finished then?

Too ill to go to GYBE or Deerhunter. Probably the worst week of the year to contract the virus from hell.

Commiserations. I'm sat at home, rather than going to see Sauna Youth and Protomartyr, because we couldn't find a babysitter. Things could be worse, the Mrs has gone, and I'm knackered as I've been out too much, and I've got to endure being in Reading tomorrow, so an early night won't go a miss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back from my trip to New York. Had a great night at Jeffrey Lewis last Tuesday. The gig was an album launch preceded by an earlier gallery opening/vernissage of his art work. Support were fun and were from the same anti-folk open-mike evening where Jeffrey started out 10/15 years ago and still contributes to this day. Had a fascinating chat with a support band member about the New York anti-folk scene which centres around this night. Free craft beer bar as well.

I also went to Rough Trade in Brooklyn which surely has to be the best record shop I've been to with plenty of space, plenty of music, cafe, ping pong area, little gallery space and best of all a proper performance area which is a perfectly laid out small concert hall the size of The Haunt with a balcony wrapped around. Bought the new Holter, Newsom and Fuzz long players plus Jeffrey Lewis on vinyl.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here