Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just got back from seeing Blues wonderkid Laurence Jones at the Komeda. Wonderful performance from the 23 year old.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I saw that and my immediate thought was the venue size is a bit ambitious. However, he did manage to get a big crowd to The Haunt on his 5th visit to Brighton in 2014 so I may well be wrong.

Anyway - he's outstanding live, it will be a great show.

He's had a load of (mainstream) media attention of late, so I'd almost go for the opposite and say that he'll sell that out very quickly. With that in mind, I'm going to get in quick and get a ticket.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
He's had a load of (mainstream) media attention of late, so I'd almost go for the opposite and say that he'll sell that out very quickly. With that in mind, I'm going to get in quick and get a ticket.

Same and its the day after my birthday so good timimg. May buy online rather than risking waiting to get to Resident which won't be till next weekend.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
On my shortlist of bands to see tonight is a bunch called We Never Learned to Live. Have to confess I'd never heard of them before, but the festival notes say they're from Brighton.

Anyone know about them, and are they any good live?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg

In fine voice at the Apollo tonight & not a set list for the casual fan.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
After a summer hiatus finally have a gig at the end of the week. Will be seeing Wolf Alice at the Brixton Academy on Saturday night.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
What was on the set list? Would be interested to know. Tried to do a thumbs up on your post but it failed for some reason. Anyway- thumbs up!
Here you go:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Speedway / Ganglord / Staircase At The University / Kiss Me A Lot / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / I'm Not A Man / The Bullfighter Dies / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Yes, I Am Blind / Oboe Concerto / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Meat Is Murder / You'll Be Gone / Everyday Is Like Sunday // What She Said

You'll be gone is a Presley cover I think. Brief power cut at the end which he attributed to Buckingham Palace. 'I will see you...', 'ganglord' and 'oboe' were highlights for me. Don't think I've ever heard him sing better.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Here you go:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Speedway / Ganglord / Staircase At The University / Kiss Me A Lot / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / I'm Not A Man / The Bullfighter Dies / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Yes, I Am Blind / Oboe Concerto / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Meat Is Murder / You'll Be Gone / Everyday Is Like Sunday // What She Said

You'll be gone is a Presley cover I think. Brief power cut at the end which he attributed to Buckingham Palace. 'I will see you...', 'ganglord' and 'oboe' were highlights for me. Don't think I've ever heard him sing better.

I went last night, I agree about his voice being superb but I was very disappointed in the set. I would count myself as a fan but there were not enough crowd pleasers in this set for me. Suedehead opening was great, crowd up for it but it died for long periods for me.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Here you go:

Pretty similar set to the O2 where I saw him last November time. Plenty of stuff from the latest album. Glad that you enjoyed it especially as he hinted at giving up touring the uk.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Pretty similar set to the O2 where I saw him last November time. Plenty of stuff from the latest album. Glad that you enjoyed it especially as he hinted at giving up touring the uk.

Yeah I bottled the O2 & price at the time but couldn't resist the Apollo (and managed to get twickets at reduced £). I get where [MENTION=640]HH Brighton[/MENTION] is coming from but personally always want to hear his most recent output so was happy with the set list. There is a price to pay atmosphere wise for this uncompromising approach but he's a contrary bugger & will no doubt roll out the greatest hits tour to top up the pension in due course.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yeah I bottled the O2 & price at the time but couldn't resist the Apollo (and managed to get twickets at reduced £). I get where [MENTION=640]HH Brighton[/MENTION] is coming from but personally always want to hear his most recent output so was happy with the set list. There is a price to pay atmosphere wise for this uncompromising approach but he's a contrary bugger & will no doubt roll out the greatest hits tour to top up the pension in due course.

Too true but while he can sell out the larger venues I doubt he will be bothered. I actually enjoyed my first and only ever visit to the O2. Was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be just a shame we were not standing but got the tickets too late.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Too true but while he can sell out the larger venues I doubt he will be bothered. I actually enjoyed my first and only ever visit to the O2. Was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be just a shame we were not standing but got the tickets too late.

I will try to be more open minded about the O2 - I may even go there one day! Hammersmith and Brixton remain the quintessential London Morrissey venues for me though.

Apparently last night was confirmed as the last UK show (shades of Ziggy) & the set list was varied accordingly. [MENTION=640]HH Brighton[/MENTION] you might have marginally preferred this:

You'll Be Gone / Let The Right One Slip In / Suedehead / Speedway / Ganglord / Boxers / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / Staircase At The University / Alma Matters / Will Never Marry / My Dearest Love / The Bullfighter Dies / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / Oboe Concerto / Meat Is Murder / Now My Heart Is Full / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Everyday Is Like Sunday // The Queen Is Dead

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here