Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Road bus lane/traffic congestion

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
As usual, the pro lobby for this scheme, mention all the people driving into town via this route. The fact is, it's become impossible in a reasonable timescale to drive east to west through the town, impossible to drive any distance towards town along either Lewes Rd or London Rd. It took me an 90 mins to drive from Portslade to the top of Bear Rd earlier in the week.

I have progressive arthritis so no I won't be using a bike for all of the scantimonius twats on here who insist that using a car is selfish. It's a bloody disaster and apart from the loud and morally superior bunch of cyclists on here and suits no one, least of all the locals...

I fully agree that someone with a serious medical condition like yourself shouldn't have to cycle. It is unrealistic and unfair. However the point being made is not that "everyone" should cycle or use the bus but that those who have the option (Don't worry, you aren't included in the category) should at least consider it.

As has been stated if you need to drive then do so, however people who don't actually have to drive should consider other options or stop moaning about the congestion, its a self inflicted problem (if you don't have to drive that is).

If you actually have to drive around then feel free to moan all you want.

However it is not unreasonable to say that hypothetically a fully fit able bodied under 65 year old who lives in Falmer and wants to come to Brighton could not be expected to get there under their own steam! Who couldn't do with a bit more exercise anyway? Obesity is considered by some to be an epidemic, isn't this a good way to encourage a more healthy, sustainable and cheaper way for the majority to travel?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I didn't, I merely said it wasnt possible to go double breasted. Buses and cars going 30 miles an hour within cms of cyclists wasn't safe. I nearly came off twice over the past two seasons. They've now widened the cycle lane to avoid deaths. Not difficult to understand is it?

no its not difficult to understand - although it appears for the majority of cyclists on the lewes road it is hard for them to cycle in a straight line or obey basic road laws like stopping at red lights.

I have driven up that road at rush our for 10 years - luckily I have never seen any cyclists knocked over - but without prejudice the level of bikemanship beggars belief.

I don't know - but I would be perfectly happy for the cycle lane to be widened to accommodate the cyclists that cant balance their bike, but to make 50% of the road a no go area for cars is just plain bonkers.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
no its not difficult to understand - although it appears for the majority of cyclists on the lewes road it is hard for them to cycle in a straight line or obey basic road laws like stopping at red lights.

I have driven up that road at rush our for 10 years - luckily I have never seen any cyclists knocked over - but without prejudice the level of bikemanship beggars belief.

I don't know - but I would be perfectly happy for the cycle lane to be widened to accommodate the cyclists that cant balance their bike, but to make 50% of the road a no go area for cars is just plain bonkers.

Maybe you should try public transport, I hear it's a lot faster now.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Utter bollocks.

Your lack of comprehension for the project is bewildering.

The Tories originally proposed the scheme and the Green followed it through, where's your problem?

You appear not to be able to see the truth in front of you due to your devoted alligence to the Green Party.

Are far as your concerned they can do no wrong and subsequently blinkered to have a reasonable debate over any arguments against them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You appear not to be able to see the truth in front of you due to you devoted alligence to the Green Party.

Are far as your concerned they can do no wrong and subsequently blinkered to have a reasonable debate over any arguments against them.

What a non-response. My political allegiance is irrelevant. It's only you who's banging on about The Green Party.

You're also wrong, but you've been told that already - you don't understand the project, and you don't understand local government. And you post spurious shite about other posters (saying Lord Bracknell was 'anti-car' - pathetic).

Apart from that, outstanding post.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Maybe you should try public transport, I hear it's a lot faster now.

And for those that using public transport is a non starter due to the number of tools and equipment needed to be carried to enable them to earn their living?
What's your plan for them.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What a non-response. My political allegiance is irrelevant.

You're also wrong, but you've been told that already - you don't understand the project, and you don't understand local government. And you post spurious shite about other posters (saying Lord Bracknell was 'anti-car' - pathetic).

Apart from that, outstanding post.

Only you say I dont understand the project, look at the facts I have produced and answer they rather than sidetracking by saying "your wrong" or "you don't understand" your coming across as a " I'm better than you and more knowledgable" type of idiot to be honest and bringing nothing to the debate.
How about you explaining what I'm not understanding or deal with the facts I have presented rather than adopting the school ground metality of " I'm not you are" answer approach?

Do you deny you not hard green and see no wrong in what they do?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And what about ignorant w@nkers who complain about the traffic when they're part of the traffic?

I'm not complaining about the traffic so I suppose this isn't aimed at me. Nevertheless, I would appreciate your advice.

I live in Mid Sussex and yesterday drove six times within the city.

1. 6.45am. To daughter's house in Preston Park area to look after children when daughter and husband left for work (by public transport).
2. 9.15am. After walking with grandson A to local school, drove home with grandson B.
3. 11.30am. Having collected heavy package from rural supplier, delivered it to 'well-known business in Falmer' where it was urgently needed.
4. 3pm. Drove to Preston Park area then walked to collect grandson A from school.
5. 9.30pm. Drove within the city to collect daughter from Preston Park station.
6. 10.15pm. Drove home via city fish & chip shop.

Assuming that I was one of the people complaining about congestion, could you tell me which of the above journeys would qualify me as a w@nker. I accept that trip 5 is slightly dodgy - I could have allowed my daughter to walk just under a mile home at the end of a 14.5 hour day - but I genuinely don't know how I could have altered the reality of my day to qualify as a sparkly sort of green person.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm not complaining about the traffic so I suppose this isn't aimed at me. Nevertheless, I would appreciate your advice.

1. 6.45am. To daughter's house in Preston Park area to look after children when daughter and husband left for work (by public transport).
2. 9.15am. After walking with grandson A to local school, drove home with grandson B.
3. 11.30am. Having collected heavy package from rural supplier, delivered it to 'well-known business in Falmer' where it was urgently needed.
4. 3pm. Drove to Preston Park area then walked to collect grandson A from school.

Assuming that I was one of the people complaining about congestion, could you tell me which of the above journeys would qualify me as a w@nker. I accept that trip 5 is slightly dodgy - I could have allowed my daughter to walk just under a mile home at the end of a 14.5 hour day - but I genuinely don't know how I could have altered the reality of my day to qualify as a sparkly sort of green person.

You could have used a teleporter. You might have to generate the equivalent of the power of the sun to use it but you'd avoid causing congestion.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do you deny you not hard green and see no wrong in what they do?

Yes I do. As I've said, it's also irrelevant. Your schoolboy take on local politics isn't enhancing your case.

What you're not getting is that the vast majority of what goes on across the city within the council is done with cross-party, often unanimous consent. When big projects like this come up, people assume that sides are going to be taken - that's not always the case.

In the case of the Lewes Road project, this has been voraciously promoted by all parties. The application for funding for LSTF (Local Sustainable Transport Fund) was launched in late 2009 when the council had a minority Conservative council. This is where the council has to give outline notification of its intentions to government in how it would use the money for sustainable transport projects. These criteria are very tightly defined, and every council has an obligation to promote sustainable transport. The application was started with the approval of all concerned. The grant was approved and the Conservative-led government gave the city council £6m for sustainable transport projects.

Meanwhile, the 2011 local elections took place and a minority Green administration took over. The LST projects were continued, and the Lewes Road project was debated in chambers many times, consultation offered (with the majority of respondents in favour of the proposals) and the project approved unanimously by councillors. The estimated cost is £1.5m. There is more money in the kitty for further sustainable transport projects. The council is not allowed to spend it on anything else, and if they don't spend it, they have to give it back.

To tediously pin all your ire on one party has no value, as this project in its current form would have happened whichever party was in control.

All of this information is in the public domain. It's just that all the while this ongoing project has been debated - on here, for instance - you have posted things contrary to the facts, and created your own scenarios.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure "cyclists can now overtake other cylists "as a reason makes any sense.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
In the case of the Lewes Road project, this has been voraciously promoted by all parties. The application for funding for LSTF (Local Sustainable Transport Fund) was launched in late 2009 when the council had a minority Conservative council. This is where the council has to give outline notification of its intentions to government in how it would use the money for sustainable transport projects. These criteria are very tightly defined, and every council has an obligation to promote sustainable transport. The application was started with the approval of all concerned. The grant was approved and the Conservative-led government gave the city council £6m for sustainable transport projects.

Meanwhile, the 2011 local elections took place and a minority Green administration took over. The LST projects were continued, and the Lewes Road project was debated in chambers many times, consultation offered (with the majority of respondents in favour of the proposals) and the project approved unanimously by councillors. The estimated cost is £1.5m. There is more money in the kitty for further sustainable transport projects. The council is not allowed to spend it on anything else, and if they don't spend it, they have to give it back.

In short, they're all as good/bad as each other

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

My point was to the unnecessary barbed accusation - ongoing - that people who ride bikes are w@nkers.

As I've said, if your journeys are necessary, what's the issue?

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
Hmmm , I need to come into town from my home with no public transport link - Which Park and Ride should I use to bypass these traffic jams ?...........................................................

Ohhh ,

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It's not about being sanctimonius, so stop whining. The roads are for everyone - some people appear to have forgotten this.

People in favour of this are criticising unnecessary car journeys. It's pretty evident your case doesn't fall into this category.

What defines 'unnecessary' does appear to be a highly flexible consideration though.

Yes, the roads are for everyone, but do cyclists pay road fund licence or fuel tax? Motorists pay more than their fair share for the roads and are entitled to get priority. Just accept that most car users have no alternative means of transport for their work. We don't all work 9 til 5 for the local authority or other such public bodies where bus taking is easy.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
My other half says Lewes Road/Gyratory has got a lot worse since they brought in the new road layout, but also the bendy buses as on the bit south of the Gyratory they can't fit into the bus stops so block the whole road!

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
Yes, the roads are for everyone, but do cyclists pay road fund licence or fuel tax? Motorists pay more than their fair share for the roads and are entitled to get priority. Just accept that most car users have no alternative means of transport for their work. We don't all work 9 til 5 for the local authority or other such public bodies where bus taking is easy.

"Road tax doesn't exist. It's car tax, a tax on cars and other vehicles, not a tax on roads or a fee to use them. Motorists do not pay directly for the roads. Roads are paid for via general and local taxation. In 1926, Winston Churchill started the process to abolish road tax. It was finally culled in 1937. The ironically-named iPayRoadTax.com helps spread this message on cycle jerseys. Car tax is based on amount of CO2 emitted so, if a fee had to be paid, cyclists - who are sometimes branded as 'tax dodgers' - would pay the same as 'tax-dodgers' such as disabled drivers, police cars, the Royal family, and band A motorists, ie £0. Most cyclists are also car-owners, too, so pay VED. Many of those who believe road tax exists, want cyclists off the roads or, at least registered, but bicycle licensing is an expensive folly."

Just for your information :)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
My point was to the unnecessary barbed accusation - ongoing - that people who ride bikes are w@nkers.

As I've said, if your journeys are necessary, what's the issue?

Sorry, you're swerving the case in point, which was your claim that people who complain about traffic when they are part of the traffic are w@nkers. Given that most motorists are 'part of the traffic' then your accusation was clear. It was also ludicrously over the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here