Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lewes Road bus lane/traffic congestion

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
It's great for cyclists and bus users, so no complaints from me :clap2:

However I understand that some people have to drive which is fair enough so the congestion must be annoying. However if everyone who was just driving from (Falmer, Lewes, Moulsecoomb etc) used the bus, cycled or got on the train; which is now by far the most sensible thing to do, then the traffic queues would probably be reduced significantly!

That's what I don't understand, correct me if I am wrong but there was already a cycle lane! what was wrong with the old one?
Where to start? It was too narrow for safe cycling. Cyclists were constantly being threatened by fast moving traffic immediately to their right. There was a conflict with buses at every bus stop, forcing cyclists either to stop or pull out of the cycle lane into a main traffic lane with high speed cars bearing down on them. And it didn't run the full length of Lewes Road.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Because the way for traffic was blocked at the bottom Coombe road for those turning left due to the congestion at the gyratory traffic this traffic having got passed the lights but unable to join the lewes road was forced to sit across the bus lane thus the buses & taxi's were also gridlocked and cyclists were having the weave around them.
I fail to see how this is an improvement.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's what I don't understand, correct me if I am wrong but there was already a cycle lane! what was wrong with the old one?

There was but it was very narrow and if you wanted to overtake a cyclist, you had to cycle out into fast-moving traffic. You also got stuck behind buses and were in danger of being hit by cars turning into Coombe Rd.

Now it's wide enough to overtake; there are Danish/Dutch-style lanes on the nearside of bus stops to make it easy to cycle past them and, best of all, there are traffic lights for bikes at Coombe Rd and Coombe Terrace: the former is now safer and I never stuck at that latter. It's also been resurfaced, a joy to ride. I can do now from my house in the middle of Coldean to the station in 16/17 minutes. I reckon with a faster bike, I could do it in about 10/12 - that's pretty good.

Gwylan, I hope you wear a helmet and have lights on your bike when the clocks change.

I have helmet, lights and a fluorescent cycle jacket. I also stop at lights and don't use pavements. I've been cycling 40 years and have had no major accidents and just two minor ones (one when a driver went through a red light). And cycling has got a whole lot safer.

I cycle along Lewes Rd most mornings for work and when I go, about 6.00, I'm lucky if I see three cars. I suspect that sooner or later, some of the traffic stuck in queues will start leaving earlier or later to avoid the traffic. Although, as has been said, if people travelling just a few miles switched to bike, train or buses, there'd be fewer cars.

As the saying goes "Don't complain about the traffic, you are the traffic"

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Where to start? It was too narrow for safe cycling. Cyclists were constantly being threatened by fast moving traffic immediately to their right. There was a conflict with buses at every bus stop, forcing cyclists either to stop or pull out of the cycle lane into a main traffic lane with high speed cars bearing down on them. And it didn't run the full length of Lewes Road.

Really ???

Unlike you to be dramatic and dress it up for that sake of sensationalism.

Really ???

Unlike you to be dramatic and dress it up for that sake of sensationalism.
It's not "sensationalism" to describe cars travelling at 40 mph, within a few feet of a cyclist, as "fast moving traffic" or "high speed cars". It's an accurate description of a road safety hazard. The Lewes Road scheme has eliminated this particular danger.

Because the way for traffic was blocked at the bottom Coombe road for those turning left due to the congestion at the gyratory traffic this traffic having got passed the lights but unable to join the lewes road was forced to sit across the bus lane thus the buses & taxi's were also gridlocked and cyclists were having the weave around them.
I fail to see how this is an improvement.
Once the next phase of the scheme (improvements to the Vogue gyratory and other junction improvements, city centre-side of the Vogue) is completed, things will improve. You, like me, seem to think that the congestion is currently caused by the inadequacy of the gyratory.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My road---Widdicombe Way has now become a rat run at peak times in the morning and evening.
Instead of thirty cars an hour its more like one hundred & thirty.
Thank you mr kit cat & duncen blinkhorn you #####

So what do you have to say about my post?

That you're 'thanking' the wrong person.

You're not the first to get this wrong, and I doubt you'll be the last.

Not sure about the green party, should be the carbon monoxide party guaranteed to increase all levels fecking idiots

See?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That you're 'thanking' the wrong person.

You're not the first to get this wrong, and I doubt you'll be the last.

See?

Actually he's missing someone off his thank you list - the Tories started it and the Greens built it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't have to use it myself (I don't own a car or a bike and usually walk in Brighton) but a friend of ours lives just off Lewes Road near the Bugle and is based at Brighton University. Her commute has trebled in time, so she now goes the long way and uses Ditchling Road. She's not alone, I'm currently working at home and the queue down to the Fiveways lights at about six in the evening now goes back to Hollingbury Park. Motorists are now trying to beat the queue by using the side roads, there was a stream of cars going past my front door last night.

It'll probably sort itself out as people adjust to their new routes, however the queues were entirely predicable. If they must make changes that benefit only a minority of road users at the expense of the majority (and it's no surprise that the Tories were behind it as they hate the idea of proles in cars) I wish they'd stop calling them 'improvements' that will benefit everybody. I especially hate it when they claim that choking traffic by removing road space for both driving and parking improves air quality! As a pedestrian I can assure you it doesn't.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Once the next phase of the scheme (improvements to the Vogue gyratory and other junction improvements, city centre-side of the Vogue) is completed, things will improve. You, like me, seem to think that the congestion is currently caused by the inadequacy of the gyratory.
You think so? They'll improve the Vogue Gyratory so that cars can flow more freely through it? I'll believe it when I see it as every change over the last twenty years has been geared for the opposite effect. All the talk I've heard is to make it 'easier for pedestrians' and as a pedestrian who often walks that way I think it's fine as it is. If it CAN be made better so that cars can flow more freely then fair enough, however as I said I have zero confidence that that will be the outcome - or even the intent.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
So, who is affected by the ridiculous volumes of traffic trying to squeeze through the single lane on Lewes Road and the subsequent queues on all roads attached to it?
About 40,000 people a day.

Many of them who voted Green last election.

They have indeed reaped what they sowed.

TB

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

To be fair I think the congestion is caused by the majority of traffic having one lane and the minority having one lane causing an uneven balance.

I'm sure you will have figures for the volumes of traffic, car,lorries vans v buses,taxi's and cyclists.
If I'm sure you will quote " buses carry xxx number of passengers" then you need to even it up and quote each car carrying 5 people, vans 2-4 lorries 2-3 etc.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
it was the TORIES.

Tories came up with the idea but it was the Greens who fired the bullet.

That makes the Tories only an accessory.

Or alternatively your saying the Greens can't think for themselves and just carry out other parties policies.
Which is it?

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
It doesn't work.
Now please put it back the way it the way you found it. :censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here